TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China
#1 Parent San Migs - 2013-12-24
Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China

Shooting themselves in the foot is indeed what they are doing.

#2 Parent Michael - 2013-12-24

By kicking out qualified or even semi-qualified foreigners, they will instead only get ex army types with no brains and degree, who just want to come to china to have fun with the local girls

That's what is already occurring here. As far as university vacancies are concerned, it is clear that only the very top universities can select real teachers with masters degrees from their applicants. The run-of-the-mill universities in China, of which there are many, have no option but to continue to employ first degree holders at best.
Most universities won't get the kind of foreign teachers that they want, and that's only to be expected given the detrimental effect on teacher recruitment of the recent harsh visa regulations introduced by the Chinese government, whose misconceptions re foreign teacher recruitment are indeed laughable in the extreme!

#3 Parent San Migs - 2013-12-24

Thanks for the post.

My BA is in English Literature, as part of that BA I also studied English in the classroom, or how to teach english to primary students. I also have a 4 week tefl from the same uni, and intend to do my MA in either American or English Lit one day too. I have not only taught in China, but taught writing in Oman also.

By kicking out qualified or even semi-qualified foreigners, they will instead only get ex army types with no brains and degree, who just want to come to china to have fun with the local girls....all well and good, but they should not bemoan the fact when they then cannot hire dedicated and educated teachers which is what they seek. 6 of 1, and half a dozen of the other as usual.....

Return to Index › Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China

Go to another board -