TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Private Eye magazine on Cameron in China
#1 Parent only me! - 2013-12-27
Re: Private Eye magazine on Cameron in China

I bet the high schools in America are just as crap, if not crappier than they are across the pond! I suppose there's less chance of being assaulted by students in the UK than in America, but that's of little consequence. Teaching high school in the west is a lousy job, in my view.

#2 Parent Dumper McFoodle - 2013-12-26

With respect, poster 'Michael' didn't say he had been a teacher in the UK prior to leaving there to teach in China. His take on teaching in the UK might well have emanated from his schoolboy esperiences in the UK, during which he felt sorry for the digusting manner in which the sons and daughters of the great unwashed of said developed land treated their teachers there at that time, and probably now too.

After all, most of China's foreign teachers, probably he is among them, are unqualified to teach anything as real teachers in the west, and so aren't given the chance to do so by western governments. That could be a blessing in disguise!

Thanks for correcting me. The message remains the same though; and qualified teachers should join their itinerant teaching brethren in China, where teaching is far pleasanter than in The UK. If we get some feedback from the itinerant variety teachers of their classroom experience of teaching conditions in The UK; that will do nicely.

#3 Parent Unfettered - 2013-12-26

Be interesting to know what other British posters think of their time teaching in The UK before they came to China?

With respect, poster 'Michael' didn't say he had been a teacher in the UK prior to leaving there to teach in China. His take on teaching in the UK might well have emanated from his schoolboy esperiences in the UK, during which he felt sorry for the digusting manner in which the sons and daughters of the great unwashed of said developed land treated their teachers there at that time, and probably now too.

After all, most of China's foreign teachers, probably he is among them, are unqualified to teach anything as real teachers in the west, and so aren't given the chance to do so by western governments. That could be a blessing in disguise!

#4 Parent Dumper McFoodle - 2013-12-25

Joking apart, economists have blamed Britain's prolonged recession on Cameron's austerity measures!
Personally, I'm glad to be in China, where I needn't live poor as an oral teacher of English at a senior high school. My students cannot speak English well, but at least they are not disruptive in class, as too many are wont to be back home in the UK.

I don't want to come across as a big note man here, but I had the displeasure of teaching English in Britain for a year. You are right on the money; in China you can live like a Duke on what they pay, and your students don't want to beat you up either. Talk about has-beens, the country has gone to rack and ruin. The only pleasant memories I have is the fish and chips. I have to be fair, they are consistently the best in the world, and in my opinion the best food in the world. Everything else was a big No Thank you. It's still early here, so back to bed for a couple of hours and then I have an appointment with a blonde on the beach. I hope you poms are looking after the Chinese angels for me while I'm away. Be interesting to know what other British posters think of their time teaching in The UK before they came to China?
#5 Parent San Migs - 2013-12-22

I'm glad to be in China, where I needn't live poor as an oral teacher of English at a senior high school. My students cannot speak English well, but at least they are not disruptive in class, as too many are wont to be back home in the UK.

I would not get too settled....despite causing no trouble and keeping my nose clean, I have just been told I can no longer get any chinese visa in Hong Kong or China until I go home and get new passport and police clearance certificate. This despite 7 years teaching with no visa overstays, no crimes commited, and references and so on.

China only wants foreigners as long as they need them imho. But good luck!

#6 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-12-22

Joking apart, economists have blamed Britain's prolonged recession on Cameron's austerity measures!
Personally, I'm glad to be in China, where I needn't live poor as an oral teacher of English at a senior high school. My students cannot speak English well, but at least they are not disruptive in class, as too many are wont to be back home in the UK.

I somehow think that your expectations in life are a bit low! Your post seems a little odd.

#7 Parent Michael - 2013-12-21

Return to Index › Re: Private Eye magazine on Cameron in China

Go to another board -