TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: China or Flipping McDonalds Burgers
#1 Parent San Migs - 2014-01-08
Re: China or Flipping McDonalds Burgers

the best managers were usually not the well-educated guys from middle-class backgrounds, but those who worked up from the bottom, they could relate to their staff far better and understand their needs.

Would agree there, used to be a night shift supervisor, crappy job, and then just full time on fruit and veg, used to have a beer and a spliff with my manager on that department, he held as much contempt for the arseholes in charge as I did and was even reluctant to bollock me, as he felt it was not at all worth a heart attack.

The uppity ones always lost respect of their staff!

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2014-01-08

I actually missed this thread due to the volume of posts being put up. But that is a good response and I thank you for writing this!

#3 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-01-02
Re: Racist China or Flipping McDonalds Burgers

Some expats seem to have never matured socially enough where they can carry a long conversation with others. I have met these types and they would rather just sit back in every conversation and not get involved with thinking about anything. They get away with this due to fitting the "right" look with the locals with the stereotypical foreigner image. Being one of the beneficiaries of a corrupt system it is obvious why they do not bother coming out of their own shells of seeing everything as "wonderful" and "dynamic". For some of us, that is a luxury we simply are not allowed to have when we live in such barbaric places.

Expat immaturity... This does not solely affect younger people that may have excellent burger flipping skills.

With the middle-aged expat types, not the standard younger English teachers but usually the guys that work outside of teaching, foreign lecturers in subjects outside of English, D.O.S/department leader types at universities, well... I am not going to describe this in a politically correct, professional way with any sources except my own life experiences, but my usual generalisation is something kind of like the following. A recipe for disaster, if you will:

• Going through the andropause (Male Menopause) or a mid-life crisis, usually 45 to 55 but behaving like they are 20. Possibly divorced or soon to be divorced if they catch the 'yellow fever' whilst over here. Usually the types that get urges to buy fast motorbikes, or the not so fast pseudo sports cars like a Peugeot 206 CC or a BMW Z3 in a desperate attempt to rediscover their lost youth, when back home.

Thankfully, the difficulties of obtaining a Chinese driving licence, coupled with either getting a driver or a nice company car (should they get their licence), prevents that particular habit from taking place in China, although some will buy not so fast motorbikes, ride around the countryside without helmets and also forget to register them, just like some of the stereotypical younger English teachers.

• Plus:

• Suddenly earning far more money than they used to earn back home to compensate for being posted in an unfamiliar environment, causing them to increasingly lose touch with reality. Not to mention, that most of their local employees will kiss their ass without question, leading to an acceleration of the developing superiority complex. You can always work out who the newly posted expats are, lol. At first, they will be very shy and asking the most innocent of questions, then within a few weeks or months, you witness a complete transformation into an hilarious or sad to watch, complete and utter mess.

I know of one German engineer who would always return from holidays back home, looking ten years younger, thanks to his comparatively 'rock 'n' roll lifestyle in China.

• Then add:

• Being away from their home country, the nagging, sagging and completely worn out menopausal wife and most likely to be irritating teenage kids will cause them to believe that they need not care about how others judge them. Add in loneliness and temptation and voila! All of sudden in what somehow feels like a parallel universe, weeknight drinking starts to be considered to be socially acceptable, as does banging any slutty bargirl without protection that thinks that you are a nice, walking, talking, usually white and chubby cash machine.

After all, we aren't talking about teachers that are supposed to have perfect morals here. Not to mention that due to differing cultures and laws back home, banging whores seems to be considered to be relatively acceptable amongst the Germans, Swiss and Austrians, providing that the wife does not find out. Which they don't, because 99% of the time as you aren't going to bang that said hooker halfway through a Skype call.

• The sad thing is that China can destroy the lives of a lot of foreigners financial, mentally and spiritually, whether they be a young English teacher or an older guy on a hefty expat package. Companies are aware of this trend, many will never consider sending a manager to China as their first expatriate posting. In one North-Eastern city, a famous American I.T company is rumoured to send spies around the the local bar areas to ensure that expatriate employees are not drinking heavily on week nights.

Another company that I know of, not only provides the standard cultural training that many larger corporations would provide as standard, but also when completing an assignment to assist with re-integration into western society and prevent reverse culture shock when they get home. Some companies also do not like employees to stay in China for too long and will tend to post them elsewhere after a certain period of time. Unfortunately that resulted in one guy that I knew of; who was one of the genuine good guys getting posted to NZ and I think will have very little chance to see him again.

#4 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-01-02

Back in 2011, I think Mickey D's hired at least 30,000 newly graduated college students. You will not be in poor company if you happen to be hired working there. I have known stockbrokers and financial advisors who have retired or gotten laid off and they now work at supermarkets. Either way you will interact with people with ideas, life experience, and you can have intelligent conversations with at least some of your colleagues.

The fact is, people are always working a full time job they may not like but will pursue other things that they do like. The multi-sided nature of people seems to be lost on some posters here. I think trolling for responses like forcing us to make a choice on "working in china" or "working at supermarket/fast food chain" shows how unintelligent these people may be. I sometimes wonder reading what they wrote if they have ever held a job before in their lives. A son or daughter of some rich yuppie type who likes dicking around and doing nothing certainly would not have a firm grasp of what work entails, and how it broadens your perspective.

This is a surprisingly important thing. What can demotivate me with teaching English in China, is that I find most co-workers to be insecure or immature arseholes with too much of a point to prove. I kind of like my current job, but I keep my distance from the other teachers and find that I can have far more intelligent and stimulating conversations with my students that come to see me than any of the foreign teachers. At least I am at a university these days and am therefore not penned in with the other foreign teachers in the office at the same time.

In fact, in a weird and bizarre way I miss the supermarket work that I used to do part-time when I was young. You got to work with old and young staff alike. I had a strange job where I worked in the children's clothing department originally until a few structural changes took place and I covered a few other things like electricals too. My mates took this piss and said that this job was gay, but I actually found that being the only male non-management member of staff on that department proved to be absolutely excellent on a social level and I was even able to date colleagues that were completely out of my league.

Sure, the managers were arrogant arseholes with a lack of respect for the staff that work for them, the best managers were usually not the well-educated guys from middle-class backgrounds, but those who worked up from the bottom, they could relate to their staff far better and understand their needs. One such guy, even told me to prioritize my school work over my job, despite the fact it was probably not in his best interests when it comes to getting people to do overtime for him.

The best example I can give of stupid colleagues being the ultimate demotivator, was a brief 2 week period where I was unemployed, skint and had far too long of a university summer holiday to endure than I'd like. I took some warehouse work with an agency and found that I was working with people that I just couldn't relate to at all, they were thick as pigshit and only ever talked about the same old laddish topics of beer, birds and holidays at shitty resorts in Spain or Greece. Being a university student who did not need to pay tax or care quite as much about life in such company was not a good thing either. They were also very racist to the foreign employees on the site, who despite having very poor English worked far harder and had a better attitude than any of the local staff. This job was so depressing, but thankfully I got a website design/marketing project that I had also applied for at the same time and left straight away for it with no notice period.

That experience did not half motivate me to study harder at university though!

#5 Parent been there - 2014-01-02

Huh?

#6 Parent Dragonized - 2014-01-02

Back in 2011, I think Mickey D's hired at least 30,000 newly graduated college students. You will not be in poor company if you happen to be hired working there. I have known stockbrokers and financial advisors who have retired or gotten laid off and they now work at supermarkets. Either way you will interact with people with ideas, life experience, and you can have intelligent conversations with at least some of your colleagues.

The fact is, people are always working a full time job they may not like but will pursue other things that they do like. The multi-sided nature of people seems to be lost on some posters here. I think trolling for responses like forcing us to make a choice on "working in china" or "working at supermarket/fast food chain" shows how unintelligent these people may be. I sometimes wonder reading what they wrote if they have ever held a job before in their lives. A son or daughter of some rich yuppie type who likes dicking around and doing nothing certainly would not have a firm grasp of what work entails, and how it broadens your perspective.

#7 Parent Dragonized - 2014-01-02

But there's so much more to see and so many ridiculous platitudes and assertions that have been thrown out by those who've really not gotten out and about and form their opinions based on a small sampling of such a wonderfully diverse and dynamic country.

So people who make negative assertions are suddenly "not gotten out and about" now? You seem to make a lot of generalizations yourself on people you've never met.

There was a prominent British Scholar who lived in Hong Kong with his wife of African heritage (will look up the name later if this post gets responded) who wrote about the excessively hostile and racist attitude that his wife received when she got really sick and had to go to a hospital. I think that folks still haven't grasped how some places can be described so differently as to make one think that they are two completely different countries from separate planets from individuals simply due to the genes that they carry which makes their skin, eye, and hair color different.

Some expats seem to have never matured socially enough where they can carry a long conversation with others. I have met these types and they would rather just sit back in every conversation and not get involved with thinking about anything. They get away with this due to fitting the "right" look with the locals with the stereotypical foreigner image. Being one of the beneficiaries of a corrupt system it is obvious why they do not bother coming out of their own shells of seeing everything as "wonderful" and "dynamic". For some of us, that is a luxury we simply are not allowed to have when we live in such barbaric places.

#8 Parent been there - 2014-01-01

Interesting that it's come to this - a choice between teaching in China or flipping burgers. Granted it's more an intellectual exercise than it is anything to be taken seriously, but I feel this is a good thread because it can also address the fact that there are and have been for a long time many FTs in China who went there with few qualifications. Even in this forum, such teachers have been referred to as incapable of getting a job beyond that of a pizza deliverer in their own country. Truth be known, many of those "pretend teachers" ended up doing a damn fine job while choosing to develop their skills as teachers. Others did not.

I think that there is a very real feeling among China's foreign teachers that things are just way too sketchy now. That is, there's no real security as private schools are facing harsher penalties for employing back pack teachers and the like, and universities etc. are seeing more clearly the need for hiring experienced and credentialed teachers.

Someone in this thread mentioned taking the time to get the training to be a legitimate teacher. Great advice. One reason this advice is worth heeding is that there is a quickly growing need in the West for qualified teachers because of the growth of international schools and a rapidly increasing influx of foreign students. Generally, these international schools pay quite well and have excellent benefit packages.

After seven years of teaching in China, I can empathize with anyone who has found it a rough go. Nevertheless, I'm glad I did it. Sure there were some hard times. In fact I ultimately developed a simple mantra in regards to employers: "One lie, goodbye." Needless to say, that meant "goodbye" more often than I would have liked. It took a couple of years to find a job I could really get into and an employer I could trust implicitly.

Bottom line, though? I really love China despite its hardships. Fascinating really - absolutely fascinating.

I think it important to note, too, that often when one becomes seriously involved with another country one's eyes are a little more open. That is, we notice the negatives more than we would in the comfort of our own environs.

I will return to China, but not as a teacher. That ship has sailed. But there's so much more to see and so many ridiculous platitudes and assertions that have been thrown out by those who've really not gotten out and about and form their opinions based on a small sampling of such a wonderfully diverse and dynamic country.

Does the education system suck in China? Yep. Generally speaking.

#9 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-01-01

Working at McDonald's is actually not so bad these days apparently. If you can take the stigma attached to the job, you will find they have pretty good training programs, plenty of promotional opportunities (most members of senior management started from the bottom) and once your get past the 'burger flipper' roles, the pay can be quite good.

Return to Index › Re: China or Flipping McDonalds Burgers

Go to another board -