TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › (VICE Magazine article) This could be what ESL in China needs...
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2014-01-12
Re: (VICE Magazine article) This could be what ESL in China needs...

I think with more westerners going to 3rd world countries and seeing the developments there they can make a reasonable call on which ones are trustworthy and which ones aren't in the long run. I myself would like to see more of other places.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2014-01-11

I liked the krokodil article and the david icke one. The youtube vids are good.

I just think people in the west are too busy surviving and really don't care much about China, except of course over cases like the safety of products and so on. Most just have a general apathy towards the place. First words from a mate two years older than me on my return after my first year in Shenzhen, and I shit you not:

"What, so you did not fancy getting a real job,instead of teaching those slit eyed fried rice eaters?!"

#3 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-01-11

I honestly think that sadly the western public does not give a rats arse. They are too busy navigating creaking infrastructure, trying to earn a living and getting out of an economic crisis, while coping with miserable weather and high living costs. The fate of the esl industry in China is the last thing on their minds I imagine, when they face another 10 hour stint in a office or warehouse and bills due at the end of the month. At the end of the week they most likely want to get smashed, not read some article on vice about the state of the esl industry in china......apathy perhaps, yes, but really noone cares what goes on in China in the west, much like China does not really care to learn about wai guo.....

1.7 million likes on facebook, it is not huge number in the big scheme of things, but it is still a big number. Like I mentioned, the Krokodil article, news of that extended far beyond Vice's usual readership.

#4 Parent San Migs - 2014-01-11

Odd, never heard any white teacher say that but fair enough. Here was me thinking white was, er, white? I suppose there are probably paler whiter people than you though eh...so it is all objective? Some people like suntanned skin, others do not....hence the umbrellas chinese females carry!!! lol

I still think a well qualified teacher from a commonwealth country can teach english just as well as a white teacher who may well be alcoholic and lazy and not give one hoot about his or her students....and yes I have actually met a alcoholic white american from texas who told me he hates chinese kids...yet he has a chinese wife and son...go figure?!

#5 Parent San Migs - 2014-01-11

I honestly think that sadly the western public does not give a rats arse. They are too busy navigating creaking infrastructure, trying to earn a living and getting out of an economic crisis, while coping with miserable weather and high living costs. The fate of the esl industry in China is the last thing on their minds I imagine, when they face another 10 hour stint in a office or warehouse and bills due at the end of the month. At the end of the week they most likely want to get smashed, not read some article on vice about the state of the esl industry in china......apathy perhaps, yes, but really noone cares what goes on in China in the west, much like China does not really care to learn about wai guo.....

#6 Parent Dragonized - 2014-01-10

That is awesome! There still needs to be more though. One is not enough for covering the entire society of such a huge country. There needs to be a good tens of dozens that are made, all of them needing to be decent before the western public will pay attention.

#7 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-01-08

I like their vids about drugs and conspiracies and stuff, but this is a step too far, are you not white?

I am tired of this kind of crap being posted about foreign teachers......there are many good teachers, irrespective of skin colour!

Yes, I am white, even slightly proud of it (mainly for being a certain nice looking shade of white, than of a certain race, lol). OK, I will joke slightly about my family's boring non-multi-cultural heritage, but I don't feel ashamed about being white.

That stereotype on the Vice article is pretty much true... Getting shitty TC jobs is so easy when you are white. It tends to be less the case if you are Asian or Black, you are often forced to actually get a job based upon real teaching ability, it seems, although there are sad cases of people such as Africans, Fillipinos, Well educated Indians/Pakistanis doing jobs for ridiculously low salaries just to even get a job.

Then there's Russian students getting full rates at TCs for convincing those retard parents that don't have a clue. I remember the one that used to work at my old place. Her accent was far too sexy to ever be 'British', lol.

Anyway, Vice even went as far as to state:

While some are undoubtedly committed and great at what they do, many see these teaching jobs as an opportunity to live an easy life abroad while working only 20 hours a week—and quite possibly screwing up some kid's education while they're at it.
#8 Parent San Migs - 2014-01-08

I like their vids about drugs and conspiracies and stuff, but this is a step too far, are you not white?

I am tired of this kind of crap being posted about foreign teachers......there are many good teachers, irrespective of skin colour!

John O'Shei - 2014-01-08
(VICE Magazine article) This could be what ESL in China needs...

Enjoy...

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?noframes;read=88629

It may be really difficult for a western media company to produce that moment-defining, industry shaking documentary that scares the parents of university graduates who wish to travel for a year in Asia.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=88647 (Which was a reply to this post from Dragonized: http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?noframes;read=88633)

The problem is that TV shows tend to only cater for the ‘lowest common denominator’. However if Vice magazine did a documentary on the net, it would probably be hilariously humiliating, even if it only appeals to a few people.

Remember these posts? I even directly said that VICE magazine needed to write an article about the shit state of affairs in ESL. Vice have only just gone and f**king done precisely that!

vice.com/read/lazy-and-white-go-teach-in-china?utm_source=vicefbus

O.K, it is VICE. They aren't your usual style of journalists, not always the most professional, a tad sensationalist and worst of all, half of them are a bunch of irritating hipsters that you have not seen so much of since the last time that you walked past a student union bar in a western country during the daytime. A lot of people take the guys at VICE with a great huge pinch of salt.

However... They aren't quite the small D.I.Y student led website that they used to be...

Numerous media sources reported in mid-August 2013 that Rupert Murdoch's corporation 21st Century Fox had invested US$70 million in Vice Media, resulting in a 5 percent stake. (OK, the involvement of Fox isn't a great thing either)

They do have a HUGE audience (more than 1.7 million likes on facebook). They have brought little known issues to the western world's attention such as the Krokodil (Desomorphine) addiction epidemic in Russia. After that article which shocked the world, mainstream journalists did start chasing that issue too.

So let's look at some of the article, it is not all 100% correct, may not have 100% correct honourable purposes, but it exposes an awful lot of the bullshit to an awful lot of people.

If you’re a white English speaker, you can get a job teaching private English classes in China. Many schools will hire you without any prior experience, teaching credentials, or a working visa. Sometimes you don’t even need to apply for the job.

In addition to the roughly 180,000 “foreign experts” who enter China on working visas each year to work in education, there are many more who come to work on tourist or university visas. Of the dozens of English teachers we talked to for this story, only two had official work visas, and little more than half had any kind of teaching experience or certification.

Most of the English teachers we spoke to said their employers have similarly scarce requirements, and that ESL certificates are rarely required. Even when they are, forgeries can be purchased for as little as $300. In 2007, The China Post reported that as many as 40 percent of the foreign teachers in Taiwan were operating under fake credentials.

many see these teaching jobs as an opportunity to live an easy life abroad while working only 20 hours a week—and quite possibly screwing up some kid's education while they're at it.

I will try to discuss the finer parts of the article later with some of you guys later. But is this an advertisement for the likes of the down and out W.W's of this world to find guaranteed employment or a whistle-blowing exposé upon the sorry state of affairs that the ESL industry of China is in?

Return to Index › (VICE Magazine article) This could be what ESL in China needs...

Go to another board -