TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › CNN Article - Survey: Online trolls are 'everyday sadists'
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2014-02-12
Re: I have calmed down

My nerves were flinching a bit too much and I think I got a little emotional. I know we may not always agree on some things, but I think despite the disagreeing tone that your post suggested I still find good points in there. The online trolls are indeed sadistic, and arguing among ourselves will not get anything done. I offer my apologies if I had annoyed you earlier.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2014-02-11
Re: CNN Article - Survey: Online trolls are 'everyday sadists'

If you really were honest about how you felt about me, you can put it forward in a more civil manner. Are you a board mod? At least be straightforward. Your own mind games on here don't do you any favors.

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2014-02-11
Re: CNN Article - Survey: Online trolls are 'everyday sadists'

You can always block the posts of the trolls if you really are who me and others suspect you to be. On the other hand, your own attempt to publicly call me out on this forum doesn't get me any more respect for you. If this is the attitude you’re going to give out, then I can see it was a waste of time dealing with you in the first place.

Curious - 2014-02-11
CNN Article - Survey: Online trolls are 'everyday sadists'

Something Dragonized can't learn, Can't. Can't:

"Trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting 'hot-button issues' to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner," the article reads. "If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, 'Do not feed the trolls!'."

An online survey by a group of Canadian researchers suggests that Internet trolls are more likely than others to show signs of sadism, psychopathy and "Machiavellianism": a disregard for morality and tendency to manipulate or exploit others.

"It was sadism, however, that had the most robust associations with trolling of any of the personality measures," says an article by psychologists from the University of Manitoba, University of Winnipeg and University of British Columbia. "In fact, the associations between sadism and ... scores were so strong that it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists."

"These findings provide a preliminary glimpse into the mechanism by which sadism fosters trolling behavior," the article says. "Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground."
Return to Index › CNN Article - Survey: Online trolls are 'everyday sadists'

Go to another board -