TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Transferring money from Taiwan-Canada - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Rheno - 2005-09-09
Shoudn't be a problem - Teachers discussion

Using your ATM card probably won't be a problem. I can access my account here in Thailand via my Visa debit card through Bangkok Bank. For each withdrawal I make, I get charged the same rate I'd be charged if I were doing that somewhere in the US (about $1.50 US). Of course, Thai Baht comes out of the machine, not dollars.

You'll definitely be able to open your own savings account after you get your visa and work permit. Here in Thailand one needs a work permit to set up a savings account. Individuals who don't work here can't open such an account. However, in more-modern Taiwan, this may not apply. You may be able to open an account there without even being in the workforce.

Your financial situation is pittance compared to another problem you may run into.

If you signed a contract and haven't even been to the school yet, get ready for a potential letdown.
Liars are common in this business. For this very reason, you should always visit your school first before signing a contract. I learned this the hard way after a short excursion to South Korea. My 'institute' turned out to be a simple, run-of-the-mill hogwan. My 'younger high school kids' turned out to be younger high school kids for one class with five classes of spoiled, uncontrollable, rich tykes no more than about 8 or 9 years old. After about five days of that shit, I pulled my always-useful disappearing act.

Good luck. I hope it works out. I hope you don't have to play Houdini like I did in South Korea.

allen - 2005-09-08
Transferring money from Taiwan-Canada - Teachers discussion

Im sure this post was in here but could not find it, I need some help plz.
Can you access your Canadian bank acct (Scotiabank) from Taiwan using an ATM Card. How easy does one transfer money to their acct from TWD$ ---CDN$ because of paying off a student loan?

How much money should I realistically carry on me arriving in the Taipei airport? Should I try and get some TWD before I leave Canada?Along with this, I must post I have a position there waiting for me, and questions about banking and my ARC / Visa are haunting me too. Will it be easy to open an acct in Taiwan and have access to funds from Canada at reasonable transfer rates?

Plz email me

allen_shephard@hotmail.com

Return to Index › Transferring money from Taiwan-Canada - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -