TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Life after teaching? - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent RhenoA380 - 2005-09-12
The way of the world - Teachers discussion

Let me tell you my definition of a hogwan. Please remember my version comes from what I personally encountered.

My hogwan was an after-school 'cram-school' students (most were fairly wealthy at the very least) attended to practice their English reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. My particular 'wan took up the entire seventh floor of a seven-story building in a suburb. It was surrounded by other multi-story buildings, many of which contained other 'wans, judging by the noise coming from their open windows and the white faces coming to, and going from, their towering heights.

When I got off the elevator at the seventh floor to enter my 'wan each day, it had a 'reception area' in front with a desk and computer, and 8 small classrooms fanning out from the reception desk. Each classroom had a window, an elliptical table, and 10-16 chairs, depending on the size and purpose of the room. There was, of course, a whiteboard in each room as well.

My schedule ran from 4:30 to 9:00 (4 1/2 hours straight teaching--no breaks) every afternoon/evening, five days a week (M-F). Each class was 50 minutes long, and I'd see students who ranged in age from younger high school kids down to about 7 or 8-year-olds. The older students were very, very good in all areas of English. The younger kids were somewhat weak in speaking and listening, but were strong in reading and writing.

The 'older' kids were very mature and didn't give me problems. The younger kids, though, were simply uncontrollable. Sure, I 'could' have controlled them, but it wasn't my job. Discipline and respect are instilled by parents and applied by students in the classroom, so they should have known better.

Even though I left my first job, I realize the reasons for my leaving were at least partly my own fault. I didn't ask enough questions of the 'wan's director before accepting the offer. Overall, I think SK is a great place to go--just be sure to ask all the right questions, and hold off on signing a contract until you check out your new job first.

I'm still 'under contract' at my 'won, so I'll have to wait until my contract expires before going back. When it does, I'll go to Seoul and look around for a job teaching at a college or some corporation (adult students). If I find one I like, I'll sign a contract and go to work for a while. If I don't, I'll try one of the other 'four tigers'.

As far as Thailand goes, it's an aquired taste. I've heard of folks teaching here, but they always have done the same thing--leave. It doesn't matter if they liked it or hated it, they didn't stay, so they aren't around anymore. My opinion is, if it were such a great place in their eyes, they'd still be here teaching.

Thailand is a taste I won't acquire. I grew up in a puritan education system where students were expected to respect teachers, do homework, and study, study, study. That got me a great education. Unfortunately, Thailand doesn't follow that model. Academics takes the back seat here, and it's tough for me to accept it. I know what can be accomplished in the classrooms if students make up their minds and try. Thai kids won't try--that's the big problem here. Cheating and slackness are the way of the world in Thailand. If you're an 'easy-going' teacher who doesn't plan on doing the TEFL thing for long and/or doesn't intend to stay here long, Thailand is a good place to go kill some time. If you're a serious teacher who wants to do the TEFL thing for a while, see students succeed because of their own efforts, and get paid a decent salary, Thailand isn't the place for you. You will only get aggravated and leave like so many have left in years past.

I hope this helps.

#2 Parent WTF - 2005-09-11
hogwan? - Teachers discussion

HEy thanks for the responses to my quiry. But what is a hogwan? is like a kindergarden.

When applying for a job in South Korea is cool to ask "hey are you guys are hogwan?"

And what is so bad about Thailand? My friend has taught there and he loved it.

#3 Parent RhenoA380 - 2005-09-12
And that's good.....if you like teaching kids - Teachers discussion

From what I saw in Changwon, I'd say you're right--about 90 percent of the foreigners are working in Hogwans. That's no problem if you like kids. I don't, but lots of people do.

I highly recommend anyone who wants to teach kids go to SK. SK kids who are seven years old simply blow away Thai kids who are ten and even fifteen years older. Unfortunately, some of those SK kids need discipline as well, which is not my job as a teacher.

Yeah, head to South Korea if you like teaching kids. You'll have a blast, and that's the truth.

#4 Parent T. Shaw - 2005-09-11
Let's make it four cents - Teachers discussion

Hi Rheno,

SKorea local media statistics have 90% English teachers working in hogwans with children.

Ours is not a perfect world...I'm OK.

TS

#5 Parent RhenoA380 - 2005-09-11
My 'plan' - Teachers discussion

DB, I was thinking of going back to the US and looking into teaching ESL in LA or even Memphis, of all places. I suspect the turnover at schools in those cities is atrocious, though. It'd be Thailand with guns, knives, and standing behind bullet-proof glass, sounds like it to me. Memphis schools don't require a master's, which would suit me fine. I don't have one and don't intend to get one before I decide I really want to do this, good job or crappy job.

#6 Parent RhenoA380 - 2005-09-11
Two cents worth - Teachers discussion

I'd rule Japan out. It's too expensive.
Thailand is definitely out. Students don't care.
Vietnam? Maybe.

Vietnam is worth looking into, but I'd go to Hong Kong, Taiwan, or South Korea. Be careful when choosing a school South Korea, though. Salaries are good, but prices are steep in some places.

Also, avoid the hogwans in SK. You don't want end up in a 'wan babysitting spoild rich brats in a room that's not much bigger than a large closet. There are other, better jobs in SK.

#7 Parent DB - 2005-09-10
Burn out - Teachers discussion

I came and went three times, and am currently home in the states again (two years) -- and thinking about heading overseas again.

My best advise is to give up the ghost if you are burned out. At least take time off from teaching. You will know when you are ready again -- if you ever are. My last job teaching was in Peru. I liked it there, but burned out on teaching and had to come home and recharge. Im ready to head out again, its just a matter of where to go. Anyone have any suggestions?

Each time I come home I swear that I will not teach, but I end-up in a middle school or high school classroom somewhere. If I could find somewhere here in the states that I really like and could call home, I would most likely stay and give-up teaching. However, that elusive utopia has not yet been found.

WTF - 2005-09-09
Life after teaching? - Teachers discussion

Here's one for all you ex teachers, who have given up the ghost and for better or worse gone home or you have gone home and then left again.

What are you doing now?

How do/did like being home?

Do you wish you were back where you were teaching?

I was tired of teaching, I finish my contract last July and I had a holiday in my favorite country the Czech Republic so far. Saw my friends, drank loads of beer, almost got beaten by the police at a techno festival, and had a good time.

But now I am back in the States. And I must say it has been a real shock. I am already thinking about getting out again. Maybe I'll teach in Japan, Thailand, or Vietnam. Or I might go back to the Czech Republic if I manage to save abit of cash.

Return to Index › Life after teaching? - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -