TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Having a BA: Where does it say that it is a Z visa requirement in China?
#1 Parent Ever - 2014-03-11
Re: Having a BA: Where does it say that it is a Z visa requirement in China?

I'm afraid i only have an old school hard copy!

By copying and pasting the quoted text I wrote in my first post into google or baidu it returns several results of digital copies which may be of use to you.

#2 Parent Sarah - 2014-03-11

Thank you, Ever. Good reply!
Would you happen to have the specific link (link to text in Chinese is OK) ?

#3 Parent Ever - 2014-03-11

From an old SAEFA handbook I have in regards what constitutes a foreign teaching expert

"These refer to those experts who are employed by the Chinese schools and other educational establishments in such fields as publication, medicine, scientific research, culture and art, and sports. They should hold bachelor's degrees and have more than two years of experience."

I think its important to realize that these are essentially just guidelines the SAFEA provides the specific authorities, offices and individuals throughout china who actually issue the relevant documentation that will enable you to apply for a z-visa. Anyone who has been in china a while will know that the reality of the situation is very different and will probably be able to provide examples of individuals who have entered the country on a z-visa despite not having a bachelors degree.

Furthermore, the Chinese authorities don't seem to discriminate between types of degree e.g. BA (bachelor of arts), Bsc (bachelor of science) or any of the other several dozen abbreviations used in UK higher education to describe bachelors degrees .They are also rarely concerned by the specific subject in which it was gained. For example I met a guy working in a kids school who had a Bsc in agriculture. To his credit he did do a fantastic rendition of old macdonald had a farm :-)

#4 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-03-10

This is NOT a requirement despite the common belief, I know plenty of "teachers" across China who got their Z-visas and RP without having ever been to college themselves. And some got their visa way after the last update of the rules.

Outside of teaching, it is not a requirement, many German engineers just do apprenticeships at high school, yet end up getting sent to China for certain projects. However, they do tend to have a good deal of technical work experience and knowledge that most 'deechers' don't have.

#5 Parent Sarah - 2014-03-10

Excellent!
Thank you

#6 Parent Martin - 2014-03-10

This is NOT a requirement despite the common belief, I know plenty of "teachers" across China who got their Z-visas and RP without having ever been to college themselves. And some got their visa way after the last update of the rules.

Sarah - 2014-03-09
Having a BA: Where does it say that it is a Z visa requirement in China?

I need the link to an up-to-date page of an official Chinese website (like a Chinese embassy, or the SAFEA or other government website) that mentions having a BA as a minimum requirement for a foreign teacher to obtain a Z visa. Would anybody have such a link?

Would be acceptable also: such a link on the website of the embassy of any country in China.

Than you

Return to Index › Having a BA: Where does it say that it is a Z visa requirement in China?

Go to another board -