TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Using word concordances on a computer in the ESL classroom
#1 Parent Ever - 2014-04-04
Re computers in the ESL classroom

You might be right that certain chains of training schools in China e.g. Wall Street, EF, etc. have a good range of technologies for students and teachers to use in and outside the classroom - it's all part of their image and the way they market themselves. However, i think you'll find that most public institutions these days also have decent IT facilities within the classroom. The last couple of universities i've worked at have all had classrooms with TV screens at the front, lecture theatres with projectors (sometimes multiple projectors) and language labs where every workstation has a PC for the students to use.

#2 Parent Lucky Strike Larry - 2014-04-03
Re Using word concordances on a computer in the ESL classroom

Using concordances on a computer in the classroom can be useful in ESL teaching, and students may be given smaller research assignments. The pic below shows a concordance on the text of Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin that I have compiled from an electronic text today with some special features included that make it useful for ESL teaching in class.

All very nice but I am afraid you'd be likely to bore the pants off of the poor students. Why I say that is because you won't entertain teaching in anything but state middle schools and universities; and the fact of the matter is even when the computers work (rarely) the screens can't be seen properly because the blinds are inadequate. I assume most of your teaching in China has been in private schools where facilities may allow a teacher confidence to build his lesson plans around the computer? I have noticed that FT's who rely on computers too much will also bring themselves into conflict with the Chinese because they will get very upset and start mouthing off when the computers do not work for one reason or another, as is normally the case.

Return to Index › Re Using word concordances on a computer in the ESL classroom

Go to another board -