TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › How does "China" look in a teacher's resume?
#1 Parent Steve Arragance - 2014-05-18
Re: Re How does "China" look in a teacher's resume?

That's good advice. I don't think that dicking around ( pardon the pun ) in China for a year will impress anyone in USA or Australia. Never impressed any of my friends or family anyway!

#2 Parent Steve Arragance - 2014-05-17
Re How does "China" look in a teacher's resume?

That analysis spot on. Chinese academia is not just sub-standard, it is rubbish, and that's being polite.

Smart Western employers know that teaching experience in China counts for nothing in the West: Your resume with the teaching experience will go to the bottom of the pile. >:(

#3 Parent Applicant - 2014-05-16

A gap year may be fine or not matter that much if there are other things in your CV that would "recommend" you, continuing education, for example. Important is a good and fair balance in terms of qualification and practical experience that would recommend you for a certain position or job.

#4 Parent Not sure - 2014-05-16

How would it look, then, as a gap year? Compared to backpacking through Europe, for example?

#5 Parent Applicant - 2014-05-16
Re How does "China" look in a teacher's resume?

It will be meaningless and not help you outside China. It is well-known outside that Chinese academics are sub-standard and leave much to be desired.

I.e. overall, is teaching experience in China a plus or a minus?
Not sure - 2014-05-16
How does "China" look in a teacher's resume?

If I reach the end of my contract at a Chinese school, and if I get good references when I leave, how will one year (or 8 months) spent teaching English at a Chinese school look in my resume when I start looking for a teaching position in the USA afterwards (I have a Master's in English literature) ? Does it enhance my resume, or do I look like I went to China because I could not find a job in the USA?

I.e. overall, is teaching experience in China a plus or a minus?

Would teaching in Korea look better?

Return to Index › How does "China" look in a teacher's resume?

Go to another board -