TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › The reason why Latin America is so far behind the rest of the world..
#1 Parent brent - 2014-05-22
Re The reason why Latin America is so far behind the rest of the world..

Go and help Detroit the Motor City, coz right now it looks worse than Latin America.
Picture of Detroit, 2014

#2 Parent brent - 2014-05-22

it's a damn shame how far behind they

Are you talking about Detroit, MI. Have you been there lately? The place used to be #1 and now it needs lots of help from great ppl like you.
#3 Parent Greg - 2014-05-22

Yes, but the wealth gap is pretty even or at least close I would bet in places such as Vietnam and Ecuador so that's no excuse, the only reasoning behind that is how much they value teachers in the different countries. This post isn't an isolated event, go look at different jobs here for LA countries! Yes of course I'm sure there are exceptions to rule, but as a whole, in this industry it's a damn shame how far behind they are and YES I have worked in LA for almost a year and have traveled extensively throughout Central and South America so I would like to think I have some kind of perspective on the matter. Glad I made the move to Asia last year :) Thanks for the posts everyone I just wanted to show how ridiculous this industry can be!

#4 Parent naturegirl321 - 2014-05-21

There are a few good jobs in Latin America. Most TEFL jobs don't pay well. There's a huge gap between rich and poor there. Many places won't even bother with visas. I know of a few good paying jobs in LA. Look at unis, or consortium, like the one with Kansas Uni in Ecuador. $38k plus benefits.

#5 Parent Brent - 2014-05-20

I was offered a teaching position for $3 an hour! No medical, no visa, no flights and no
accommodation. Get with the program South America!

You talk as if your presence is very needed in Latin America. If they are offering you that bad deal, it means they don't need you.
If you want to teach English or any other language overseas, then go to a country when they really need you and pay you well.
Best of luck to you.
#6 Parent Hell yeah - 2014-05-20

I was offered a teaching position for $3 an hour! No medical, no visa, no flights and no accommodation. Get with the program South America!

#7 Parent gp - 2014-05-19

Yes, Jamaica (British), Haiti (French), Aruba (Dutch) are great samples of Latin America following the wrong associations with the spanish traditions and language.

3 things in common with Jamaica, Haiti, Aruba: 100% of the native aboriginal population were wiped out - not even the aboriginal children were kept alive to test vaccines with deadly regional diseases.

#8 Parent Just a thought - 2014-05-15
Re: The reason why Latin America is so far behind the rest of the world..

According to their job offer, they have " more than 800 students with a staff of up to 50 teachers".
It's not a small school. I feel that they should have the resources to offer a decent salary to their teachers.

Greg - 2014-05-14
The reason why Latin America is so far behind the rest of the world..

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=31690

LMAO A teacher with a MA in TEFL/TESOL ...$7 per hour hahaha..AND has to pay for flight, visas and accommodation! you would leave in debt by the end of the contract!..but hey..at least you get the free Spanish classes and salsa classes for free right?!

Return to Index › The reason why Latin America is so far behind the rest of the world..

Go to another board -