TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou
#1 Parent pk_09 - 2014-06-13
Re Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou

I have worked at CIEO for about one year since 2013. From reading these posts, i agree all of them are truth.

CIEO's pay is very low in South China.

#2 Parent Broadriche International - 2014-06-13
Re Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou

It seems very, very evident from reading this collection of posts that the majority of them have been posted by one, single Chinese person, using different names of course, for reasons that are not completely evident.

Maybe they really do hate that school or and I've seen this done by Chinese schools, to tarnish the reputation of a competing school. I am leaning towards the latter hehe.

#3 Parent Chris_Cross - 2014-06-11

CIEO’s contract is terrible, and its contract is designed to catch out the inexperienced and the unwary. CIEO is Shady school with such a measly salary

I wouldn't consider the job now because of the hours, nights, weekends and minimal vacation time,

I would suggest FTs to avoid CIEO’s shady offer. Find something else where "benefits" mean exactly that.

#4 Parent Blue sky - 2014-06-11

CIEO employed lots of foreign teachers illegally, CIEO employed many L visa and F visa westerners.

The free shared apartment CIEO offers is very messed up. and its apartments are very far from CIEO's training centres/kindergartens.

CIEO charges Chinese parents very expensive tuition, but the CIEO staff's wage is very low in Guangzhou, no matter Chinese staffs or foreign teachers. CIEO is very mean company, very mean to its employees.

CIEO's biggest white monkey... http://www.cieo.com.cn/en/aj.asp

the biggest white, the founder AJ has left CIEO and gone back to Canada. As he is divorced with his Chinese boss, his wife. But the Guangzhou Canadian kindergarten/training centre(CIEO) will still keep the biggest white's name on its business to make money from Chinese parents.

#5 Parent Sam - 2014-06-10

I was a teacher at a British Columbia Ministry of Education certified school at the Mianyang Foreign Languages School in Sichuan Province of the People's Republic of China (PRC). After 30 days, I was discharged. I received no payment for my up to 72 hour a week work schedule, including reimbursement of travel expenses. I was denied a contract by the British Columbia Ministry of Education representative. The contracting organization was owned by the wife of a British Columbia Ministry of Education representative.

It is a criminal offense to not pay an employee in the PRC. It is illegal to employ a foreigner in PRC without compliance of the regulations of the State Administration of Foreign Exchange. Those regulations include employing a foreigner without a contract. It is illegal in the PRC for a foreigner to control or perform activities in the Education sector.

Do you support the British Columbia Ministry of Education operating above the law?

#6 Parent Jim - 2014-06-10

3 hours on the bus and metro everyday? that is f** too long. Guangzhou is the third biggest city in China. do not accept that Canadian's school's offer.

Larry - 2014-06-09
Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou

I have worked for Guangzhou Canadian International Educational Organization (CIEO) for one and half years. Now i want to tell you something truth about the lowest pay school in Guangzhou.

The CIEO’s contract is terrible. The lowest pay, very long working hours, the teachers’ apartment is very far from its school.

Low Salary: 8500- 9500/month.(the Guangzhou lowest pay for foreign teachers). Although it was only 8500 for the first two month probationary period. You also have to meet all of their requirements to get the full 9500/month which includes such things as being present and on time, following instructions, having no children injured, and having no complaints from parents.(Just one made-up complaint by one parent.... and you never get the full 9500).

Long working hours: According to the contract you teach 25 hours a week, but you have to be there an additional 7-12 for meetings, office hours, or filling in for other teachers. That doesn't include lesson planning. It does say you have to be "flexible" though.

The foreign teacher turnover rate at CIEO is very high, every month you can hear some teacher quit from CIEO.

Off days: 1.5- 2 days/ week, no weekends(need to work at weekends)

Fine: the number of "fines" in the contract is a big issue including losing a certain amount PER MINUTE if you are late to class. CIEO seem to work their teachers pretty hard and dangle this "career progression" carrot to them all the time.

Apartment: it is shared with other foreign teachers, the shared apartment has 3-5 bedrooms. But the unhappiest thing is that the shared apartment in Panyu is very far from the school/centre. it costs you THREE hours every day on commuting by bus and metro .

Management: CIEO’s management is very messed up. CIEO has no idea of managing foreign teachers.The school always uses Chinese management to treat foreign teachers. If CIEO prides itself on being an INTERNATIONAL school. CIEO needs Foreign Management over Chinese Management.

I would not recommend this company to any foreign teachers, as I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company.

Return to Index › Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou

Go to another board -