TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Good news only please - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent RhenoA340 - 2005-09-25
Right on - Teachers discussion

Going to the massage parlors isn't all bad. I've heard the prostitutes here speak the best English of anybody. At least somebody's learning.

R, the walking billboard

#2 Parent easy tiger... - 2005-09-24
Goals - Teachers discussion

Goals, we all set our own.

A recently posted view on some certified teachers:

"I was completely unimpressed with their abilites [sic], and found most of them to be nothing more than 20-somethings who are more interested in sightseeing, partying, and chasing the local beauties."

Well everyone chooses his or her own priorities, and at the end of the day what does it matter. Regardless if your students try or not, keep them happy and your director and DOS will be happy. "It doesn't matter if the students learn anything," too right! I couldn't agree more, just as long as they believe they are progressing. Because what it all comes down to is money. Our globalized yet culturally diverse planet has one sad common demonimator. When students pay and enjoy their English class, and they feel they are progressing the teacher has done his/her job and can pursue other things.

What does one do when one is not teaching and whilst living in a foreign country, eh? make charts of irregular verbs and reported speech... as if

I prefer to allow a local beauty (sometimes a student) to show me her favorite sights.

#3 Parent RhenoA340 - 2005-09-24
It's not really the JOB that sucks - Teachers discussion

It's not really the job that sucks. It's the system. The Thai education system, that is.

It's 'illegal' to fail kids here. That is supposedly true. That's the source of all ESL teachers' ills.

Yeah, I'd like to set up a house in Krabi, on a beach far, far away from a classroom and bad food.

#4 Parent BD - 2005-09-24
I knew it! - Teachers discussion

Rheno,
I figured there are things you like about Thailand, but its hard to be upbeat when your job sucks. That is true anywhere.

AdvertisingLOL! You mean brainwashing. You will buy! You will consume! You will never be satisfied! We Americans are absolutely the most brainwashed people in the world.

BD

#5 Parent RhenoA340 - 2005-09-23
B.A. Ed. best? - Teachers discussion

Thanks, Jack. I've wondered which is superior for teaching the youngest of learners--TESOL or CELTA.
I know my TESOL program more or less skimmed over this element of teaching.

It seems neither is what I'd be looking for if I'm ever interested in teaching kids (my own someday--nobody else's). The best piece of paper must be the Bachelor's in Education for someone wanting to do that.

#6 Parent RhenoA340 - 2005-09-23
BD, here's some 'good' - Teachers discussion

BD, I talk down Thailand, sure. That's because Thailand kids are pissing away their opportunity here. They don't know how good they have it with us white native speakers coming here, and that pisses me off.

However, there is some good in this place.

For one thing, I don't notice much crime. Crime in the states, at least the non-white-collar crime, is mainly caused by the deprivation people feel. Yes, thanks to the advertising the average US whitey is is constantly exposed to, Americans are made to feel that 'luxuries' are really 'needs'. Some folks can't afford what they see in advertisements and feel deprived, so they resort to crime to get what they want. Thais aren't exposed to the advertising bombardment, so they never really feel deprived or inadequate. No, you don't see many Crown Vics topped with expensive lightbars prowling around waiting to capture criminals or even speeders, for that matter.

Another thing I don't see much of is chronic depression. When I tell my Thai colleagues about how good the 'good life' is in America, they are blown away by the idea that most Americans aren't satisfied with what they have. They always want more, and if they can't get it, the get depressed. This is partly due to the advertising/programming (luxuries become NEEDS) I mentioned above. Yeah, Thai people can not BELIEVE that in America, the supposedly best country on Earth, people take fucking Prozac! Thais don't know what Prozac is. Hopefully, they never will.

Finally, there is the 'slackness'. I rail against this, but there may be some good in it. These folks don't let someone else dominate their lives like we do. We Americans rush-rush-rush because we've been programmed to do that. If one isn't 'successful', he is somehow inferior in our eyes. You know what I'm talking about. If one wants to play in corporate America, and maximize its rewards (mainly winning 'approval' from peers), he must play by certain rules. Deadlines and meeting those deadlines are acceptable to us. Not to Thais. They don't need to win anybody's 'approval'. Success is a good rice crop, not a more efficient production process that benefits a bunch of absent, slave-driving stockholders.

So, it's not ALL bad. Just the education system, not to mention some hygiene issues. Unfortunately, I have to lock horns with both these daily. If I can get some money together, I'll move to someplace like Krabi and never leave. I'll be fixing my own food and teaching my own kids in year-round good weather.

And I'll never have to meet a deadline, read an advertisement, or take a happy pill.

#7 Parent BD - 2005-09-22
Thanks, but - Teachers discussion

Thanks, but I am already ESOL certified in my state (three-hundred hours), as well as several years teaching ESOL students. After working with a few of the "certified" tourist teachers, I was completely unimpressed with their abilites, and found most of them to be nothing more than 20-somethings who are more interested in sightseeing, partying, and chasing the local beauties.

My education and experience far outweigh any one-hundred hour cram course, and would be a waste of my time and money. I have had no trouble at all finding teaching jobs with my what I have.

EU countries are not a possibility as I am American, and know that non-EU folks have almost zero chance of those position. Amyway, I have been to Europe and I am looking for someplace new.

#8 Parent Jack Bindshaw - 2005-09-22
FYI - Teachers discussion

just so you know...

the 'A' in CELTA refers to Adults

as in Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults

Cambridge/UCLES - who award the certificate - will then try to sell you a certificate in teaching Young Learners although they have also been heard to say that the CELTA covers YLs anyway... which seems to defeat the whole Adult thing...

The choice is yours

#9 Parent RhenoA380 - 2005-09-22
Beyond the TESOL - Teachers discussion

Getting a TESOL or CELTA certificate may be the way to go if you don't have a degree in teaching already. It's your call, BD.

I DO agree strongly with YOU, SC.

If one is teaching small kids, he or she should be required to have at least a TESOL or CELTA. I'll even say one should be required to have a bachelor's in education to teach the youngest kids. I say this because my TESOL program devoted only one afternoon to teaching kids (a scant two hours), so a TESOL probably isn't sufficient when teaching 5-7
year-olds. Maybe a CELTA is.

How is the issue of teaching young learners covered in CELTA courses, SC? Do you believe it to be satisfactory?

You must be talking about teaching jobs in South Korea. Yes, SK jobs I've seen and applied for don't require a TESOL/CELTA. Most of these jobs involve teaching at least SOME young learners. If anyplace should require at least a cert, it's SK. They should go even farther.

My hogwan in SK gave me a pretty intensive interview, but no actual teaching evaluation. This is odd, as I was expected to teach adolescents. Evaluating those entrusted to teach young learners is critical, in my opinion. My hogwan didn't evaluate me or the other two farang on the staff. They were more interested in getting us up in front of the classrooms as quickly as possible. This is a minor reason I left there.

I've noticed something else in TEFL. Everybody seems to 'know a friend who taught in Thailand'. Curiously, all those friends have since gone elsewhere or home. If it WERE such a great place, why'd they leave?

I left the US because I'm sick of the right-wing economic nazis, with their nazi-like patronage system, more or less taking over. Indeed, I wonder why somebody would leave a place he actually LIKES in Asia only to go back to the US and live in that.

You could stay here FOREVER if you really wanted to. Obviously these 'friends' didn't like it enough to really want to.

#10 Parent SC - 2005-09-22
some advice - Teachers discussion

Have you considered taking a CELTA (the biggest, most expensive, some go as far as superior) or a TEFL course? It only takes a month. I believe either will open some doors to more professional language schools (nobody here is picking a CETLA vs. TEFL boxing match so let's not have it). Plus cover some issues that are essential to teaching English as a Foreign language -- especially in adult education and possibly with young learners (I only have experience 10 years old and up). And I have only taught in eastern Europe.

Rumour has it, that the places who want you to teach wee little ones (5 - 8 years old)... as I understand don't require a CELTA or a TEFL.

Like I said I've never been to Asia either. My friend, who has an CETLA, taught at universities in Thailand and stayed for three years.

Don't listen to everything you read on this page there are a lot of unhappy people posting rubbish. I am still looking for objective information on South Korea.

I'd say if your from the EU, go to Spain or Italy, loads of work,sunshine, great atmosphere. Quite frankly I envy EU English speakers. If your not, do some research about work visas before you cross the pond.

BD - 2005-09-21
Good news only please - Teachers discussion

OK, we have lots of bad stuff -- so lets hear some good stuff. Ive never been to Asia and am considering heading there to teach English. I have a degree in English and with an emphasis in secondary teaching. I taught high school and middle school in three countries in Latin America, as well as eight years teaching at both levels in the U.S. I have no preference what level I teach, and I am very good at adjusting to different cultures.

Who likes the country, or school, they are in? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Return to Index › Good news only please - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -