TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Thinking about traveling to China
#1 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-01-13
Some advice - Teachers discussion

Be careful with China. Many good jobs can be found in China, but I've read many a nightmare story about that place. Yes, the reason for those stories may be the fact that China is so big, but I'd keep investigating before deciding on China.

If you like teaching kids, you'll be better off going to South Korea. You'll get paid lots more and you'll probably get your air fare reimbursed. Many a teacher who's been there will say SK isn't that great, and he/she may be right. Just remember, though--apartment deposits in Seoul are at times over 5 THOUSAND dollars (or more) for a year rental. If SK, especially Seoul, DID suck so much, no one would be putting that kind of money down on deposits to do a teaching job for a couple of months. But lots of people do, which tells us what? They're confident the jobs will be worth it and will last at least that entire year.

If you decide to do SK, don't sign your John Hancock on any contracts simply based on someone else's descriptions--go there and check out candidate schools first. Accepting someone's glowing descriptions about a school, be that person a director or even a teacher, is a common way we TEFL grunts get burned.

P.S.--Most schools in China can't even legally hire you on anyway, and SK doesn't require a TESOL at most jobs.

Good luck.

#2 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-01-13
If it's Genuine, Bite Their Hands Off! - Teachers discussion

Brave Eu

If the 15000 RMB you mentioned is a monthly salary then that translates to nearly 2000 American dollars ( just over 8 RMB equates to one American dollar). That salary is well above average for foreign teachers in China! In government schools in China the average monthly salary is usually between 4000-6000 RMB per month, so 15000 RMB a month in China is well paid by any standard. However you need to find out what is required from the company/school in return for that salary. They may be requiring you to work all the hours in creation. For 4000-5000 RMB a month at a school in China, you would usually work 12-16 hours a week.
If your institution requires three or four times those hours from you then that salary in a relative sense would not be so high after all. You need to do some background checks and find out in detail exactly what they want from you, first.That salary sounds good, but tread carefully!

Brave Eu - 2006-01-12
Thinking about traveling to China

Hi, I am thinking about becoming an expart and I was searching for jobs around the world, China calls my attention but the salary offers I have seen so far does not make to much sense to me. Since in my country we have American Dollars, does any body can help me to "translate" their offers into what I am used to? Is 15 000 RMB well paid or bad paid?

Return to Index › Thinking about traveling to China

Go to another board -