TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Staring Chinese
#1 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-07-18
Re Staring Chinese
#2 Parent martin Hainan - 2014-07-18
Re Staring Chinese

In New York City you dare not stare at someone on the subway. In the elevator you avoid all eyes and face forward. But when you sit in a diner booth with your friends or co-workers you are expected to maintain rapt eye contact while juggling your BLT to hear the story of their latest argument with their boss.

In China the hierarchy of eye contact is reversed. Close friends glance until eyes collide then turn away, routinely downward. But on the street, even in the elevator, with strangers it is open season for eye molestation.

My routine is to stare back with an insane Jack Nicholson smile. Few Chinese adults choose to sustain the cross-cultural interaction.

#3 Parent We come in peace (shoot to kill) - 2014-07-18
Re Staring Chinese

The staring is chronic in Zibo and makes everyday like "running the gauntlet" to work or shops etc

They can stare at me but I can't stare back? Is that right? When im outside I have tunnel vision because if I look eitherside....i'm being stared at from that angle also. I know it's worse in BJ but the pollution in Zibo is very bad and overcrowded. It's the ame tedious sight everyday. Old people with babies, more old people with babies. Teenagers (sometimes) middle aged men riding on bikes I haven't seen since I went to the Museum of London and of course, kids.

#4 Parent John O' Shei - 2014-07-17
Re Staring Chinese

And in other country this would be: Hipster prick with an iPhone takes photos of random poverty, posts them on his blog and simultaneously spunks in his skinny jeans whilst bragging about how cool it is, but nobody feels a need to cry about it. Sure, he has no class, but like all other countries, China also has hipster twats that we'd all just love to punch in the face.

#5 Parent cgr - 2014-07-17
Re Staring Chinese

Title should be: Chinese men staring at some Westerner dude in Beijing taking a picture of them without their permission.
This is rude and shows no class.

#6 Parent John O' Shei - 2014-07-17
Re Staring Chinese

Most likely migrant workers judging by their shabby clothes and typical fruit gifts then.

Some of the efforts made to troll this board are so pathetic.

#7 Parent 111 - 2014-07-17
Re Staring Chinese

and why the western dud is taking a pic of them.that's irrespectful.

Rex - 2014-07-17
Staring Chinese

Picture: Chinese men staring at some Westerner dude in Beijing.

Return to Index › Staring Chinese

Go to another board -