TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › So then....what schools are GOOD? - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-02-05
Choir Preacher - Teachers discussion

Oh yeah, already realized that. Teaching kids isn't for me, that is. That was an expensive lesson I learned in South Korea at a hogwan. A hogwan where I had a six-day career teaching rich brats.

#2 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-02-05
what about a master's from Koh Sarn Road University? - Teachers discussion

What about a master's from Kho Sarn Road University? I know KSR U has a 15-minute master's program in such fields as linguistics, technical writing, sociology, et. al. I can enroll there and get a master's (complete with transcripts)for only like 100 USD (or even less). And I can get it only 15 minutes and be the valedictorian of my class to boot!

#3 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-02-05
what about a master's from Koh Sarn Road University? - Teachers discussion

What about a master's from Kho Sarn Road University? I know KSR U has a 15-minute master's program in such fields as linguistics, technical writing, sociology, et. al. I can enroll there and get a master's (complete with transcripts)for only like 100 USD (or even less). And I can get it in only 15 minutes, graduate Summa Cum Laude, and be the valedictorian of my class to boot!

#4 Parent Taiwan Teacher Placement Services - 2006-02-04
Masters needed - Teachers discussion

In order to work within a university in Taiwan you will need at least a masters degree. There is also pretty heavy competition for positions in universities so you will have to join the pack.

You may however be able to get a job at one of the private institutes that co-operate with and work within the university grounds or nearby. These jobs are not university teaching positions but the students are of course all university level. Again there is not many of these types of positions available but they do exist.

You could probably do worse than to check out Scott Sommer's weblog. He works at a uni in Taiwan and he keeps abreast of positions and politics of his and other universities in Taiwan. If he can't help you then I am not sure who can.

Finally, I think that it is good that you have decided that teaching kids is not for you. The money is good, but if it is not a good fit for you then it is likely that you wouldn't enjoy yourself which would lead to further problems down the line.

#5 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-02-02
Thanks again - Teachers discussion

Hey, thanks once again, Brian. I'm thinking of going to Taiwan. I may actually go. I may not. I'm looking for a university job these days. I'm not keen on teaching at the high schools anymore, and I'm definitely out as far as teaching younger kids goes. Yeah, me in front of a classroom of six-year-olds would be like Joeseph Stalin singing nursery rhymes on Sesame Street.

Unforunately, I don't have a master's degree (yet). I can get one in Bangkok, though, if I really need it for a university job in Taiwan, transcripts and all.

So....what are my prospects for landing a good university job in Taiwan? Do I need the master's?

#6 Parent Brian - 2006-02-01
Good schools in Taiwan - Teachers discussion

Hi Rheno,

Pleased to hear that the site was of interest for you.

If you are going to Taiwan for the first time then I would recommend sticking with the chain schools at first. Some people have very dim views about chain schools but it seems to be that this is largely personal bias and chain school bashing. At a chain school you know what you will be paid, when you will be paid and you will get what you expect each month. They can generally offer the hours that you need, and of course they offer support and training if you need it.

For kids schools I would recommend Joy, Kojen, and even Hess. For adults I would recommend Davids first off, and then you could try Wall Street or Global Village - although the latter doesn't pay too much!

Also, you may want to consider a recruiter if you think it could help. Again I am fully aware of the limitations of recruiters, but a good recruiter can help a lot, and provided that you know what to look out for you really have nothing to lose. If I had to choose one then I would choose Reach To Teach a company run by an American guy who has a good reputation!

#7 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-01-30
Nice site - Teachers discussion

Hey, thanks for the info, Brian. I've been looking around on Bux for a good school in Taiwan.

#8 Parent Brian - 2006-01-30
Good schools - Teachers discussion

It can be quite eye-opening reading all the negative complaints about schools and recruiters but it is worth putting this in perspective. For every unhappy teacher there are a number of happy teachers who have no reason to post here. This is a shame of course as information about good schools worth working at is probably more valuable than complaints and gripes about schools.

For a Greenlist of schools that have received favorable comments from past and present foreign teachers check out www.buxiban.com

Zandra Feig - 2006-01-29
So then....what schools are GOOD? - Teachers discussion

Wow, I've just been over to the School and Recruiter Reviews board, and I'm reeling. It almost scares me off from ever wanting to teach ANYWHERE!! Who can tell me the schools they've worked for and had GOOD or REASONABLY good experiences? Which schools should I focus on? Thanks!

Return to Index › So then....what schools are GOOD? - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -