TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Wumaos are plenty - NYT article "Trending: Attractive People Sharing Upbeat News About Tibet"
#1 Parent Pitbull - 2014-07-25
Re Wumaos are plenty - NYT article "Trending: Attractive People Sharing Upbeat News About Tibet"

Wanker-free and fake-free are fine, too! Let's get you deported!

#2 Parent Charles - 2014-07-25
Re Wumaos are plenty - NYT article "Trending: Attractive People Sharing Upbeat News About Tibet"

Mamahuhu -- 2014-07-24
In response to Re Wumaos are plenty - NYT article "Trending: Attractive People Sharing Upbeat News About Tibet" (Charles)
Many? Currently, this is a transition period and definitely there are still crap "schools" employing degree-less (not "degreless") "teachers". But you should also mention that the jobs these people have are not the best-paid and most reputable and that most of them work illegally like you do! Hope folks like you will be reported AND deported! Those shitty pretend "schools" employing folks like you should be closed down and their crappy owners be severely punished! Period.
That's not so; I know many degreeless heroes working in China.

Oddly enough my classes are doing Charles Dickens this week. I have just read your post when a rat-a-tat-tat came to my door. A student had a small problem with the novel she was reading; and I asked her leave to take a quick snap. Don't argue with me, argue with the great man himself. You should recognise the story, do you? Ravenless is fine. degreeless is fine.
#3 Parent Been There - 2014-07-25
Re: Re Wumaos are plenty - NYT article "Trending: Attractive People Sharing Upbeat News About Tibet"

I totally agree

#4 Parent Frederick Dibnah - 2014-07-25

And then we have this Nick v. H. fellow with his diamond mines in Zimbabwe where the native do hard and dangerous work for peanuts while this arsehole of a quacker priest trades them to China for enormous amounts of cash!

I don't think the wanker is NvH, a millionaire like n.v.h would surely have better things to do with his time than be on an esl forum, like enjoying his retirement, and checking his stocks every day, not meddling on a piss poor english teachers forum. Just my wu mao....

#5 Parent Frederick Dibnah - 2014-07-25

You do not need a degree for China.

As turnoi himself mentioned, it is better to have one for HK or Taiwan, in fact, it is more or less a prerequisite. You can teach kindergarten or even get a job with a foreign/chinese company in China sans degree. I know of two brits who don't have a degree, and one is a sales manager, and the other a DJ. Ergo, no degree needed if you are a whitey in China!!!

#6 Parent Blubbard - 2014-07-24

Oh, interesting. You feel yourself superior to degree holders? Superior in what? Baking pies with flies or feeding the piranhas in your swimming pool with your ....? Yes, then and only then you really are!

That's not so; I know many degreeless heroes working in China. But whatever the case may be degreeless heroes make superior esl teachers to foreigners with degrees.

Oh, yes. First think of the many proven paedos in certain churches, then think of the quackers or pretend quakers who post all kinds of rubbish on here and DD, and don't forget to include the racist way they look down on other ethnic groups when expecting them to accept them as "teachers" or J.F. Kellog adventists on here who openly admit to use fake degrees and certs! The 68+ y/o among them are the worst! And then we have this Nick v. H. fellow with his diamond mines in Zimbabwe where the native do hard and dangerous work for peanuts while this arsehole of a quacker priest trades them to China for enormous amounts of cash! Well, folks like that should be taken to pieces by a bunch of lions, cannibals or crocodiles. Serves them right, and f...k them!

There may have been the odd rare problem with teenage Christians interfering with children in Africa. However the biggest threat comes form highly qualified older Christians(the clergy.) This has always been the case for centuries and still is. That's all over the world and not just in Africa.
#7 Parent Mamahuhu - 2014-07-24

Many? Currently, this is a transition period and definitely there are still crap "schools" employing degree-less (not "degreless") "teachers". But you should also mention that the jobs these people have are not the best-paid and most reputable and that most of them work illegally like you do! Hope folks like you will be reported AND deported! Those shitty pretend "schools" employing folks like you should be closed down and their crappy owners be severely punished! Period.

That's not so; I know many degreeless heroes working in China.
#8 Parent Charles - 2014-07-24

Non-degree holders who are native speakers mostly are unable to land a job in ESL in China these days like in Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Hongkong, where there is no chance for them at all. As the academic standards for education in China continue to grow, those few places left where non-degree holders are employed in ESL will disappear altogether. It has already happened in the case of Yuncheng ESL.

Employing teenie missionaries or deechers without proper formal training and personality abroad is Third World level. China did this in the initial phase of its modernization process, but as the more recent work visa regulations making a degree one of the formal requirements to apply for it clearly indicate, this initial phase has come to an end.

Basically, native speakers without any proper formal academic education and training have no right to expect to be employed anywhere in ESL, and they should not be, because they lack the proper qualifications and entry requirements for teaching positions in ESL and only contribute to the problems in ESL with its commercial providers so full of cheat and deceit. If China does no longer allow non-degree holders to "teach" there, then this is good for its development as it will keep the country wanker-free, one of the things urgently needed in ESL!

That's not so; I know many degreeless heroes working in China. But whatever the case may be degreeless heroes make superior esl teachers to foreigners with degrees.

There may have been the odd rare problem with teenage Christians interfering with children in Africa. However the biggest threat comes form highly qualified older Christians(the clergy.) This has always been the case for centuries and still is. That's all over the world and not just in Africa.

#9 Parent Charles - 2014-07-24

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

We know the accents and the subtle nuances which Sasha from Serbia or Samuel from Ghana cannot possibly ever know. Part of language is exposure, and non native speakers have just not been exposed to it in the same way. Just like as foreigners, we can never know every dialect or nuance in China. A native speaker without a degree, should be allowed and welcomed to teach if he/she wants to in China, even if just at kindergarten level, end of story, full stop, period as the yanks call it!!!!!

Very well put indeed, Fred. Tell you what though, all this talk of foreigners teaching English has started to give me nightmares. Last night I awoke in a cold sweat, and in a fair state of agitation. I had to arise and take coffee. I dreamed I was working in a school where the head teacher was a foreigner, who insisted on writing all our lesson plans; he maintained we were not qualified enough to do them ourselves. He was rigid that we teach English expression; but they were changed as we know them. So we had to teach -'a fool and his honey are soon parted'. ' don't take coals to Wooton-Under-Edge'. 'We are ignoring him and have sent him to Basingstoke'. 'a cut in time saves nine'. It all seemed so real and I had to slosh some whisky in my coffee. Do you get nightmares- bread burnt and so forth?
#10 Parent Blubbard - 2014-07-24

Non-degree holders who are native speakers mostly are unable to land a job in ESL in China these days like in Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Hongkong, where there is no chance for them at all. As the academic standards for education in China continue to grow, those few places left where non-degree holders are employed in ESL will disappear altogether. It has already happened in the case of Yuncheng ESL.

Employing teenie missionaries or deechers without proper formal training and personality abroad is Third World level. China did this in the initial phase of its modernization process, but as the more recent work visa regulations making a degree one of the formal requirements to apply for it clearly indicate, this initial phase has come to an end.

Basically, native speakers without any proper formal academic education and training have no right to expect to be employed anywhere in ESL, and they should not be, because they lack the proper qualifications and entry requirements for teaching positions in ESL and only contribute to the problems in ESL with its commercial providers so full of cheat and deceit. If China does no longer allow non-degree holders to "teach" there, then this is good for its development as it will keep the country wanker-free, one of the things urgently needed in ESL!

A native speaker without a degree, should be allowed and welcomed to teach if he/she wants to in China, even if just at kindergarten level, end of story, full stop, period as the yanks call it!!!!!
#11 Parent Frederick Dibnah - 2014-07-24

Native born English speakers have been in rigorous training since they were two months old.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

We know the accents and the subtle nuances which Sasha from Serbia or Samuel from Ghana cannot possibly ever know. Part of language is exposure, and non native speakers have just not been exposed to it in the same way. Just like as foreigners, we can never know every dialect or nuance in China. A native speaker without a degree, should be allowed and welcomed to teach if he/she wants to in China, even if just at kindergarten level, end of story, full stop, period as the yanks call it!!!!!

#12 Parent Charles - 2014-07-23

Hey, Fred the Bat, mind your spelling in the sentence below. "Its" would be the correct way to write it here as it refers back to "USSR" and is a possessive pronoun. "It's" on the other hand is a contraction from "it is" and would not make sense here. I am afraid you need to polish up your English a bit before you should be allowed to really teach it.

But thank you for providing the opportunity to comment on it. It proves that I am right in two points I have made before:
1. It's not enough to merely be a native speaker to qualify for teaching in ESL. You need thorough formal training as well, and if you don't have it, you are useless.
2. You will need a degree to qualify for teaching. Only with 3 - 4 years of full-time rigorous academic uni/college training with at least a Bachelor degree at at the end, you will have enough education to know why you should write "its" instead of "it's" in cases such as this.

Some non-native speakers of English are obviously better at English than you are as a native speaker......hahahahahahaha

I wonder how our Fred will answer that attack on his 'it's;' as you quite rightly point out ,incorrect? If he had been writing a paper for his publisher on say 'primitive man and his dough' He could have dismissed it saying "Been having trouble with my eyes lately and what with the pressure of publishing deadlines I did a TYPO, so I did. However, I think we should allow Fred that one as a typo- what do you say?

Listen Turnoi, please. Native born English speakers have been in rigorous training since they were two months old. All some-body like Fred would need before commencing his first class as a qualified teacher would be a week's training on the job. He would be worth ten second language English teachers; who should not be allowed to teach anyway. Apart from their own languages that is.

Return to Index › Re Wumaos are plenty - NYT article "Trending: Attractive People Sharing Upbeat News About Tibet"

Go to another board -