TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Cultural aspects when teaching English in China for new teachers
speak_online - 2014-08-08
Cultural aspects when teaching English in China for new teachers

Don't expect your class to talk about politics. They don't know the political leanings of their fellow class mates.

Don't show any surprise when your students burp and fart. Their motto seems to be 'better out than in.'

Be aware, when you ask a question, most Chinese don't like to answer ,'No' or 'I don't know.'

Formality: They will probably expect you to behave as a 'teacher' and keep your distance.

At least in southern China avoid using texts referring to yoghurt. I tried to explain the word to a class in Guandong and 29 students turned green!

Serious: With an advanced class and using text books designed for foreign students in England, we got on to the subject of racism. I asked if they understood. The answer was 'YES.' I asked them to elaborate, and one student said, 'We don't like the Japanese.' When I asked why, I got the answer, 'They're small, yellow and have slit eyes.' There's no answer to that.

Manners: this is pretty extensive so can't all be covered here but the idea of face is very important. you should try not to put anyone in a position of losing face if it can be avoided...unless they're just asking for it.

Formality: it really depends on the environment and the school

There may be dead silence in a classroom because no one wants to lose face by suggesting something that might be wrong.

Always keep a certain distance from the students to make sure that they understand you are their teacher and should always be looked up as a teacher.

For taboo subjects, politics and sex subjects should be avoided wherever you are in China or you would get big trouble.

Return to Index › Cultural aspects when teaching English in China for new teachers

Go to another board -