TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Hello There. (introduction of an aspiring teacher) - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-02-17
Thailand is, well,.........

Ahhh, Thailand. I love the weather here, I can say that much. The people are cool as well, at least overall. I've noticed the 'true' Thais, the Thais that originated from the NE portion of Thailand are the most laid back and the nicest. The offspring of the Chinese (the nationalist Chinese who came to Thailand back in the 40s when Chang Kai Shek was fleeing to Taiwan)can be fairly rude. A trip to Bangkok's Chinatown will make that obvious to you.

But as far as working here goes, I'd avoid it. I teach here, but that is only because I have a fiance here. I'm waiting on her fiance visa to come through so we can both head elsewhere, probably South Korea, Japan, or Taiwan. When it comes through, I'm on a plane within days of it landing in my hands.

I left the great US of A just because of what you describe. Work, work, work, work, work. You gotta work there these days. No government benefits to speak of, plus the disapperance of 'good' jobs make it a requirement that one work in the US or starve to death.

But I also left because of the enroaching right-wing nazi propaganda ("the US is right, so let's take over the world!" bullshit) and the 'buy, buy, buy' capitalist brainwashing that is spreading all over.

Yeap, if you don't have money in the US these days, folks there will think you're worthless. And if you do have money, they'll think you're as good as gold no matter what kind of person you may really be, be it angel or devil.

I don't understand why anyone would want to live there if he's an unconnected type. The type who will be repeatedly passed over for good jobs because he doesn't have 'connections'. Hey, it's truer than ever in the US today--it's not what you know but who you know. If you're going to be an inflation-fighter ( a person who is artifically 'kept down' to keep his income, and thus prices overall, low) on top of enduring all the bad weather there, get out! Don't put up with it. Go to the tropics. You'll be poor, but you're gonna be poor in the US AND you'll be freezing your ass off!

** the US.

#2 Parent IrishFire81 - 2006-02-16
re: - Teachers discussion

TEFL? TESOL?

Hmmm. South Korea sounds decent. Sadly, there is NO way to get the bachelor's until I'm better off financially. Right now I'm working as many jobs as I can in the US just to stay afloat, and I'm certainly not making any headway toward earning enough to come back! So the idea is to get an ESL job without the bachelor's. I realize the importance of that sheepskin, but jeezohpete . . . 10 credits! I'm a good teacher, they should capitalize on a great opportunity.

The ND student body is only 85% catholic.

Korea, hmm? Are you having a good experience in Thailand? Where did you hunt for jobs? The recruiter stories are frightening but I'm impressed with one of the Korean recruiting sites.

I taught students aged 13 to 17, and loved it. I don't know about younguns . . . I think I prefer older students!

#3 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-02-16
He's not a christian, and he's a student at Notre Dame. - Teachers discussion

That sounds like a song.

Hey, I thought one HAD to be a christian to be admitted to Notre Dame! Just kidding.

It sounds like to me you're being pulled in two different directions. One direction leads to teaching. The other, to paying off your loans. This is because most TEFL jobs, at least in Asia, will pay you just about enough to get your loans paid off in, say, 25 YEARS. No, the asthma won't be a limiting factor. Your paycheck each month will.

Look into teaching in South Korea, especially if you enjoy teaching kids. South Korean students are motivated, which is the reason you'll be teaching so many kids. Most 8-year-old kids there have the fluency (because they have WORKED at it) my Thai students haven't reached at 21 years of age (because they've not worked at it).

You'll also get paid pretty well in South Korea. This means you may be able to get your loans paid off in a few years instead of a few decades like you will if you go to China or Thailand.

When you find a job in South Korea, you'll probably be offered a flight reimbursement as part of an incentive. Do it up. Some schools will even offer to pay you an end-of-contract bonus when you finish up a contract. A bonus you can use for a return flight back home if you wish. This deal is unheard of where I teach, the great land of Thai, a deal I wish I would have known about two years ago.

So. Higher pay, flight reimbursements, better students, and plentiful western-style pharmacies that stock asthma medication. And you don't even need a TESOL--just the desire you already possess and a real bachelor's degree.

Go for it.

IrishFire81 - 2006-02-15
Hello There. (introduction of an aspiring teacher) - Teachers discussion

Hello there! I'm overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information (and misinformation!) on ESL and decided to introduce myself to get my feet wet. I have no valuable information for anyone (yet!) so feel free to skip this post if you like. :P

I had the unique pleasure of teaching English to 15 students from Guangdong Province in China back in 2001 and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately the organization I taught with was secretly a missionary organization. All the students were placed in Christian homes that promised to take them to church every week, and I was not asked back again when the owner discovered that I am not a Christian.

That's neither here nor there--I loved the experience and would gladly repeat it in any nation. I was a freshman in college in 2001, and am now financially stuck 10 credits from a bachelor's at the University of Notre Dame. I'm tired of working two jobs that barely cover the rent and don't do much for student loans, and I'm kicking around the idea of teaching abroad if a clean, honest school with good students and programs will take me. I have asthma, so putting up with poor living conditions is not an option!

I am trying to contact the school that sent students to me before. They encouraged me to look them up once I had a degree, but that isn't going to happen for a few years. I miss teaching terribly, and believe I could put up with the alice-in-wonderland bewilderment and disorientation of plunking myself into a foreign nation just to be able to live, teach, and pay off some of those loans so I can afford to finish my education!

My one claim to fame is that I loved the work and excelled at it. :D It does help that I had complete academic freedom within the confines of the curriculum (there were things I had to teach, but I could do it my way and there was a lot of wiggle room) and the best students anyone could ever dream of.

Return to Index › Hello There. (introduction of an aspiring teacher) - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -