TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › A cultural factor that applies to maids in the Middle East has parallels with the treatment of teach
#1 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-04-29
Re: A cultural factor that applies to maids in the Middle East has parallels with the treatment of t

I am not an American, but Mexican and I am the one here legally- funny. I give some people here props for being consistent wherever part of the world they reside. But others who are here and take advantage of the system, why are they surprised or shocked that others are doing the same in their countries?

Not really the same at all ,is it? Illegals who go to China, UK and other western countries expect and get recourse to public funds which costs the tax payer a lot of money. It would be a cold day in hell before the Chinese government handed out any cash to Western Illegals. Am I right or am I right?

#2 Parent juanisaac - 2013-04-29
Re: A cultural factor that applies to maids in the Middle East has parallels with the treatment of t

People try to take advantage of what the system gives them- if anything. I had a convesation with an American teacher who told me that all Mexican people should be kicked out of the U.S.A. because they are breaking the law. But next year she will work on an illegal F Visa in Beijing because that is where all here friends are. Talk about a disconnect. It seems people change once they come to China and not always for the better. Some people leave their ethics at airport customs.
I am not an American, but Mexican and I am the one here legally- funny. I give some people here props for being consistent wherever part of the world they reside. But others who are here and take advantage of the system, why are they surprised or shocked that others are doing the same in their countries?

#3 Parent foxy - 2013-04-28

I think Foxy's position is: Use the faults of the system to your own advantage (do you agree with my assessment of your position, Foxy?)

Yep, absolutely, in any country - to get what U want! Why not? If the legislators 'mislegislate', and corruption is endemic, wade in and take 'em to the cleaners by abusing their stupid visa rules! They always leave loopholes, especially in the PRC. This is a situation where big money becomes meaningless, if you've the knowhow to take advantage!
I'm a globalized citizen.....LOL!

#4 Parent Warringtonian - 2013-04-28

In Oman and the UAE your passport is not held from you. You are totally wrong I am afraid.o teach English in 80-90% of the schools/pretend schools that are owned by business types, and not feel like a maid, not lea

#5 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-04-27

From photo journalist Natalie Naccache: "Lebanon's uncomfortable maid culture" (link to CNN below - her text is on the right of the screen, we have to scroll down)

I find a striking parallel with the fate of FT in the Middle East (and in China): total control by the employer, total submission by the maid, employers confiscate passports so the maids do not "escape", maid is expected to live her life only for her employer, some employers are ok, some are not (physical and verbal abuse, rape, etc)

This article opened my eyes to some of Dragonized's positions like being subservient only calls for more abuse because the problem is deep and endemic.

I also understand what I think is Beelzebub's position: Be diplomatic and things will be easier (do I undestand right, Beelzebub?).

I think Foxy's position is: Use the faults of the system in your own advantage (do you agree with my assessment of your position, Foxy?)

Turnoi, if you have time to look at this article, would you say that it reflects the attitude of the school owners/managers in China? Is it an attitude that is lingering from the Middle Ages, or before of course, from the dawn of time - sefs and masters?

Silverboy's testosterone laden position is probably: Send them to hell, don't work for them.

But is there a way to work in the Middle East, make good money, and not feel like a slave, like a maid? The same question would apply to China: Is there a way to teach English in 80-90% of the schools/pretend schools that are owned by business types, and not feel like a maid, not leave with your self-esteem dwarfed?

And should a FT arrive in China with the attitude "you won't screw me", or the attitude "I will try to maximize my chances of having a good time and doing a good job". Of course in the Middle East, I believe that you can't arrive with the former.

Not wide of the mark at all, Curious. I will say that I don't find too much to be diplomatic about. On the odd occasion when I think I have been short-changed, I don't hold it against the Chinese forever and a day, as if such a thing never happened to me in the West. A Jolly good post, thank you.

Curious - 2013-04-27
A cultural factor that applies to maids in the Middle East has parallels with the treatment of teach

From photo journalist Natalie Naccache: "Lebanon's uncomfortable maid culture" (link to CNN below - her text is on the right of the screen, we have to scroll down)

I find a striking parallel with the fate of FT in the Middle East (and in China): total control by the employer, total submission by the maid, employers confiscate passports so the maids do not "escape", maid is expected to live her life only for her employer, some employers are ok, some are not (physical and verbal abuse, rape, etc)

This article opened my eyes to some of Dragonized's positions like being subservient only calls for more abuse because the problem is deep and endemic.

I also understand what I think is Beelzebub's position: Be diplomatic and things will be easier (do I undestand right, Beelzebub?).

I think Foxy's position is: Use the faults of the system in your own advantage (do you agree with my assessment of your position, Foxy?)

Turnoi, if you have time to look at this article, would you say that it reflects the attitude of the school owners/managers in China? Is it an attitude that is lingering from the Middle Ages, or before of course, from the dawn of time - sefs and masters?

Silverboy's testosterone laden position is probably: Send them to hell, don't work for them.

But is there a way to work in the Middle East, make good money, and not feel like a slave, like a maid? The same question would apply to China: Is there a way to teach English in 80-90% of the schools/pretend schools that are owned by business types, and not feel like a maid, not leave with your self-esteem dwarfed?

And should a FT arrive in China with the attitude "you won't screw me", or the attitude "I will try to maximize my chances of having a good time and doing a good job". Of course in the Middle East, I believe that you can't arrive with the former.

Return to Index › A cultural factor that applies to maids in the Middle East has parallels with the treatment of teach

Go to another board -