TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › TPR English Dongguan
Thomas - 2014-08-25
TPR English Dongguan

Hello!

This is my first post here on the elsteachersboard.

I was hoping some of you could provide me with your personal opinions and experience regarding TPR English. Currently they're offering me a position in Dongguan for 7,000/month (after the 800 for the apartment and the taxes I figure it will be 7,000.) The working hours are as they've always offered at this company which is 21 per week, mostly Saturday and Sunday with a few hours throughout the week such as 2 hours a day for 4 days.

This is an "English training center" and I already am well aware of this boards opinions regarding such facilities. This is specifically why I've turned down teaching for Wall Street English, Web International English and English First despite having been offered much higher salaries and better accommodation from all of these companies.

The major reason I'm considering going with TPR is the sheer quality of communication with the hiring department and (mostly) positive reviews I've read about this school on eslcafe. The posts on that other website are about 3 years old now so I'd like to hear from someone with a more recent account of this company if possible. The HR employee that I've spoken with seems to really understand the visa process and he answers important questions with far more depth and vigor than any other company I've spoken with. It's obvious that he's been doing this for a long time and he doesn't seem to miss a beat. I'm sure other teachers on here will understand what a fresh breath of air this is.

For example, I just asked a school in Chongqing "What kind of teaching materials does your school provide?" and she replied "books." This is NOT an adequate answer! It seems that every other school I've talked with (and I mean actual schools and universities, not english training centers) give the same half-assed responses to my questions. As we all know the quality of the hiring process is a reflection of the quality of the working environment. This makes me believe that working for TPR, while earning half of what the universities have offered, will be a much more pleasant experience.

Some information about me. I'm not a "real" teacher at all, although I take my work seriously and do not simply use it as a means to "fund my vacation." I've been teaching primary school in Shanghai for a year and my current contract is set to end in about 30 days. Before this I was in Security and Law Enforcement in northern Virginia for about 5 years. I have an Associates degree in Criminal Justice, no 4-year diploma. For this reason it is difficult for me to advance my career in America and also for me to renew my visa here in China. I'm 25 years old and hoping to save enough money to attend university so that I can obtain a 4-year diploma at last.

-Thomas

Return to Index › TPR English Dongguan

Go to another board -