TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › I, for one, am sick to hell of bias in the ESL marketplace! - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Mingong - 2007-03-30
The Arrogant One - Teachers Discussion

Apologies to the board.

Arrogant One, please contact me.
Thanks.

#2 Parent The Arrogant One - 2006-05-11
RE: Aging in ESL - Teachers Discussion

Dear Aging Also,

I regret that I was on the road for a while (I am also a musician) and missed the initial entry of your response to my original post on the subject of aging.

Now, now, Aging Also, to infer that the older teacher drones on and takes an arrogant stance may apply to some, but, in the case of us oldsters, you fail to recognize the added extent of our experience lays the groundwork for, if not justifies, valuable innovations that would hardly be present in the younger teacher possessing only a degree and ability to strictly follow a set curriculum. In this instance, such amateurs usually have naught but to rely upon their individual personalities to spell the broad difference between an interesting or boring lesson technique. Don't get me wrong, man. I certainly believe that personality figures into the ultimate success of any instructor. It's just that without some kind of experience to back same ... well, I'm certain you can see what I mean. And, when the time comes to more carefully examine those degrees and licenses obtained from that notorious School of Hard Knocks, very few employers are going to sit there doubting the overall qualifications of any of us old farts unless, of course, a question age prejudice enters into the picture.

I agree that the question of attitude plays an important rle in the continued success of the older player, but come on, man, give me a break already ... were I to approach a prospective employer, I would certainly expect him to consider, first and foremost, my 20+ years in the ESL game to furnish proof enough of my mastery of classroom management. Quite to the contrary, he must control his emotions (and bias) and admit to himself that he must have senior players on his team ... if only to assure the younger folks that there is someone for them to emulate and from whom (God willing) to eventually gain a measure of inspiration.

===================================

;) To: Bob the Middle-Aged Lonere ;) A "Yes Man" I have never been ... that I assure you, my friend! Notwithstanding, I very much appreciate your observations and look forward to future commentary from your quarter. By the way, "Happy Birthday," Partner.

The Arrogant One

#3 Parent Bob the middle aged lonere - 2006-05-04
Aging Teachers - Teachers Discussion

Dear Also Aging

I have just turned 40 and I resent your comments that older teacher tend to drone on. Is that what you really think?

How many teachers of the different age groups have you observed?

Can I deduce from you comments that all young teachers provide effective interesting lesson, while us oldies drone on and go off on a tangent?

I have worked with teachers of all ages and complaints come to teachers of all ages, not just the old ones. In fact the more serious complaints of incompetence, poor preparation and unprofessional conduct are more often than not aimed at young inexperienced teachers. No offence to younger teachers, we all have something of value to offer.

And by the way your comment about pair work is just fantastic. Sounds like you are trying to prove to us all you know how to teach.

To The Arrogant One, keep on complaining, TEFL is saturated with "yes" men and women too scared to have their say.

#4 Parent Aging Also - 2006-04-20
less is more - Teachers discussion

Getting older is not the most fun thing in the world, but the nice thing about aging is that things make a lot more sense to you than they did when you were young.

That said; I think the problem with a lot of older teachers can be a tendency to drone on, to tell anecdotes, to be arrogant...

All of which flies in the face of effective, accepted ESL teaching methods;

The less you drone on in class, the better your students will like you. Effective parwork use both saves wear and tear on the old voicebox, and spares students from a lot of boredom; it also keeps them focused on the tasks at hand, which are punctuated and affirmed by a teachers sparely chosen, well inserted comments and advice.

You've got to convince a prospective employer that he'll get good student feedback. Which an old guy can do, if he's a master of classroom management and can produce results.

Attitude is everything when it comes to aging.

#5 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-03-04
Unfortunately.... - Teachers discussion

That's great advice, G. You sound like you have some great years ahead. Too bad some of those you run into are gonna make you miss out on great experiences
simply because you're 'old' in their eyes.

Yes, keeping one's eyes looking dead ahead is probably best.

But it's tough.

I'm on the doorstep of 40, and already I've seen people turn their noses up at me because of my age. When our own personal success depends (unfortunately) a LOT on others and their opinions of us, you bet some of us are gonna resent being marginalized just because of our age. I sure as hell would/am. Yeah, I already know it's coming. Kicking older people to the curb is the path of least resistance, I guess. I already am getting pissed of, you better believe it.

What I'd give for a perfect world.

#6 Parent The Arrogant One - 2006-03-04
DR. YANNI & MR. GERARD - Teachers discussion

Gentlemen ... I do thank you for your timely communiqus.

DR. ZACK -- Please know that I have long been a fan of your column, while I am certain that you have made a marked difference in the direction of some of your younger and less experienced readership.
On the other hand, let me assure that, at age 68, I've been around the block at least a few times. Yes, I've already engaged in the rles of course developer & administrator (Japan-1991-93), ESL consultant (USA-2000) ... even as a university instructor (Brazil & Israel - 1969-71).

With such a sterling rsum at hand, one might think that, at this late date, I am both rich and contented. Regrettably, I must report that I am neither.

MR. CALLAHAN -- As nothing is perfect, I agree that we seniors are forced to tolerate our fair share of the more disagreeable aspects of life. However, I find that mere memories of those "better times" are not enough to sustain this senior during his aging procedure! Granted, people like me may tend to whine a bit more than is reasonable. And, for the sake of survival, I agree that trudging on is essential, b-u-t with the exception of maintaining an objective, hopes, and aspirations ... just like young folks. ( ;) no malice intended on my part, sir)

Excuse me, gentlemen (and other ESL brethren), but getting older in the ESL biz does NOT have to represent one's willingly falling into the usual pattern of rejection ... especially when he/she has retained a lifetime of knowledge and expertise complemented by a reasonable degree of sanity! That's my argument. So, what will it take to change the f#@!*&g attitudes of most of those in charge of the system ... political influence, bribery, or threat of violence? The thing that bothers me the most is the national attitude towards old geezers like me--that, by this time, I should have been long retired! I also get a kick out of their :? looks when I tell them I'm still quite active within the job marketplace...moreover, that such desire is the direct result of a long-inexplicable love affair with the teaching of ESL.

Aye, everyone ... This Barkus is (still) willin'!

I remain,

THE ARROGANT ONE

#7 Parent Gerard Callahan - 2006-03-03
...be brave; face your age! - Teachers discussion

Arrognt One...you're looking in the wrong direction and worse...counting!...just suck it up and deal with it...like I do! Keep your eyes looking straight ahead.....FORWARDS! Stop whinging about your lost years.....you had your chances. Enjoy the memories and do your best...keep trudging on...(no malice intended) :)

#8 Parent Dr. Yanni Zack- ESL Teaching Tips and Strategies - 2006-03-03
Bias in the ESL Marketplace - Teachers discussion

Dear Arrogant One:

I understand your frustrations, and sympathize with your feelings regarding the age bias issue in ESL Schools. Yes, ESL schools tend to not want to hire older teachers. However, I urge you to consider the talents you have from your educational background as well as experience and look at using those within other avenues in the ESL Field such as being a content course developer, Administrator, ESL Consultant or even teaching at a University where your age, and experience would be held in higher regard.

The Arrogant One - 2006-03-01
I, for one, am sick to hell of bias in the ESL marketplace! - Teachers discussion

I realize I've many times addressed the issue of age
discrimination in ESL ... but criminy, folks, after all this time, it seems strange to still have to face such ridiculous bias in a field which, by virtue of its boundless international involvement, should represent itself as a cornerstone of equality and fairness. As it strikes a personal chord for all of us active teachers over 50, I believe it warrants much closer examination and subsequent change.

I just love it when, in a telephone interview, after having rendered a detailed outline of my many years in the ESL biz, I am robotically requested to send a rsum with a promise that I'll be contacted in the very near future. Of course, I realize that I've had far too many years of experience--a entity which puts the damper on any real chances for me from the start. A mere inspection of the teaching staffs of the larger ESL facilities in any reasonable-sized city will automatically confirm this. Yes, I realize there still may be some of us old timers actively employed , albeit I'm certain the employers of such personnel patiently await the opportunity to replace them with a more contemporary appearance and outlook. And, what about the students, themselves? Do they really interface with older teachers? Not as much as that which was once the case, I fear. Forget about one's respect for his elders...now it's a case of being entertained in the classroom by more up-to-date instructors who know the popular jargon that gets reactions and demands attention from the kids. ME--I'm a product of the '50s and '60s, while my approach--however revolutionary it may have been considered 40-50 years back--is something which now invokes stares instead of laughs! When I try to be funny by miming "I wanna be Bobby's girl" or "You ain't nuthin' but a hound dog," I am regarded as being something from another planet, let alone an earlier decade! TRY to teach grammar with those odds! Now, many school owners might regard such limitations as an impediment to their idea of student-teacher homogeneity ... and, in a way, I can understand the argument. But, while attempting to teach our language, we should also approach the subject of our culture, including the honoring of one's elders. It is therefore up to the owner/operator of a school to demonstrate this by representing BOTH generations equally on his professional staff. After all, those of us seniors who still have our wits about us can and do make a significance difference in the balance of any school program.

C'mon, guys ... let's have a little consideration, huh?

The Arrogant One

Return to Index › I, for one, am sick to hell of bias in the ESL marketplace! - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -