TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › The Taming of the Turnoi
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-10-07
The Taming of the Turnoi

I also say that ESL academically relies on Linguistics and Language Pedagogy and not on English Literature.
At no point did I say linguistics played no part in ESL and that ESL relies on literature. I said Literature has relevance for teaching ESL especially in regards to analysis and comprehension of text, which is a big part of ESL. Also, reading is proven to expand ones vocabulary and eloquence, so again, it has relevance there. And the components of a literature degree are incredibly relevant to the field of ESL teaching.

To finally put this to bed, these are some components of an Eng. Lit degree.

* develop students' ability to articulate knowledge and understanding of concepts and theories relating to literature, their powers of critical argument and command of written English.

* critical skills in the close reading and analysis of texts, confident powers of critical argument and a developed command of written English. They will appreciate the importance of scholarly standards of presentation and of writing accurately, clearly and effectively.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/2013/info/?id=4968&title=English+Literature&ucas-code=Q300°ree=BA&year=2013#coursecontent

And before the inevitable cries of "but that's only about reading" no, it's not. In order to be successful, you must have an excellent grasp and command of the English language and it's application and nuances. This is wholly transferable to the teaching of English as a second language, especially in conjunction with a PGCE and a DELTA.

You are the one (again) trying to make it one or the other when eng.lit. and linguistics are in fact sides of the same coin. You are trying to argue simply because it's about me. If I said the world was round, no doubt you would argue that too!

You are being childish, Turnoi. Grow up.

Return to Index › The Taming of the Turnoi

Go to another board -