TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re On Learning Styles and other issues
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-10-15
Re On Learning Styles and other issues

Unless you know every single Chinese teacher and their individual teaching style to make an informed assessment of their teaching style, it is a generalization. You cannot say "all Chinese teachers" use a specific method when you don't know every Chinese teacher!

PPTs are helpful, but not everybody's cup of tea, and a badly made PPT can be unhelpful and/or boring for the students. If the person making it has only a rudimentary grasp of the grammar point involved, a PPT is either a crutch to help the teacher present the point, or worse, filled with inaccurate information which doesn't help the students. I enjoy making interactive, animated PPTs which my students love, but then I'm rather handy with PowerPoint and I know my grammar! For example, I have one where Chun-Li and Ryu from street fighter battle over definitions of words (adaptable for level), the class (in two teams) guesses the definitions and if correct their character lands a blow on the other, after 3 successful hits the character wins and points are awarded. It really makes vocab games much more real for YL students... Although adults enjoy it just as much when used as a grammar auction tool, rather than definitions! (if anyone would like a copy of this ppt for use in their classes, I am happy to share! Please email me if you are!)

As for the not using audio, this is irresponsible. Audio tasks are paramount for students learning to comprehend native speakers and allows them to both hear different accents and voices to their teacher's and also helps them hone their listening skills (for tasks such as information gathering or listening for specific information). The Cambridge website has links to audio content based on every level of the CEFR for free use and downloadable content for specific exam courses, such as PET, FCE and CAE. It's really beneficial to your students to include and audio component to their class.

#2 Parent Beth - 2014-10-15

My point is that if you have to rely on PPT's and audio tracks in a class, and textbooks, you are not a real experienced teacher
I think the key word here is rely and what you would then class as reliance.

If you cannot explain/teach a grammar point without the use of an autocue style ppt, in.my opinion you shouldn't be teaching it in the first place! However, I think a 'real, experienced teacher' also knows the benefits that technology can bring to a lesson and balances it accordingly. A good, balanced lesson should always give the learners opportunities to acquire new language and use it in speaking, listening and a reading or writing task (depending on the length of class, it's not always possible to include beneficial reading and writing tasks).

I'm not sure that it has to be one or the other, I believe it should be a mix of both. DOGME style communicative classes have major benefits, but using that style all of the time and neglecting more visual learning methods would be equally as detrimental to your students as the reverse.

I wouldn't class PPTs and audio tracks in the same bracket. One is a teaching tool that certainly helps visual learners, the other is an important and necessary component to a well-balanced education. I try to include a listening activity with most classes, at the very least in one of their two lessons per week.

#3 Parent SGL - 2014-10-15

I don't think it's a generalisation. In most first and second tier cities what I said really does apply. Anyway, I am a "walk, talk, and chalk" type of teacher. I m not really into using PPT's and audio, not my thing.

#4 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-10-14

You raised a few good points: However, so did the last poster. Way too many teachers, especially Chinese teachers, are totally reliant on computers, internet, hand-outs, PPT's and textbooks. And in general their knowledge of grammar is poor and their spelling is atrocious.

The point is this: Chinese teachers can't teach without technology, give them just a room, some chalk, and a blackboard, and they don't know what to do. And many Chinese universities stll only have blackboard and chalk classrooms.

My point is that if you have to rely on PPT's and audio tracks in a class, and textbooks, you are not a real experienced teacher. Technology should not be used in every class. It should be used sparingly.

Chinese teachers think they can teach just because they can use some technology: They are wrong!

Excellent post but China is a massive country and you could have been in an area where they rely on gadgets and stuff. Most of the schools I worked in the Chinese teachers would even go out and quarry their own chalk-on the South Downs I think hahaha.

I even banned electronic dictionaries. The reason was they could have been qqing; and i didn't like the disruption they bring- coming up with unsuitable words.

I worked at a training centre which used whiteboards. They used to refill their own marking pens. They leaked all over your hands. You can't beat blackboards and chalk. Anyway, I like the artistic work some students garnish the right hand side with.

#5 Parent Beth - 2014-10-14

Not true at all! I know many Chinese teachers that barely use tech in their lessons.

The biggest problem on this board is the reliance on sweeping generalisations without taking in to account the specifics. And that goes for any topics I have seen on here.

#6 Parent SGL - 2014-10-14

You raised a few good points: However, so did the last poster. Way too many teachers, especially Chinese teachers, are totally reliant on computers, internet, hand-outs, PPT's and textbooks. And in general their knowledge of grammar is poor and their spelling is atrocious.

The point is this: Chinese teachers can't teach without technology, give them just a room, some chalk, and a blackboard, and they don't know what to do. And many Chinese universities stll only have blackboard and chalk classrooms.

My point is that if you have to rely on PPT's and audio tracks in a class, and textbooks, you are not a real experienced teacher. Technology should not be used in every class. It should be used sparingly.

Chinese teachers think they can teach just because they can use some technology: They are wrong!

Return to Index › Re On Learning Styles and other issues

Go to another board -