TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Private "schools" and schools
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-10-28
Re Private "schools" and schools

Definitely so, and someone doing things like that will make his/her own enemies.
The only 'enemies' I would make by actually caring about what is being taught and the offer of help to those not as experienced or qualified as myself are those tourist-teachers whose primary reason for teaching is to fund an extended holiday.

Any real teacher would welcome help and input from more experienced colleagues. I did when I first started, and I still do now if it's a book I haven't taught from before or I'm teaching students a co-worker has taught before and therefore already knows their individual learning styles... Sharing ideas and supporting each other is what good teachers do.

We have a newly qualified teacher that has started with us this year and just yesterday in my break he came to find me to ask me what was the best way of teaching the difference in use of present perfect simple and the present perfect continuous to a group of 13 year old students. It was my break, but I stopped what I was doing and helped him anyway as that is what good teachers, and good people, do.

The only people who see help and support from experienced co-workers as 'interference' or any of the other ludicrous things you suggest are those who are scared they will be shown up for the fakes that they are, will get asked to pull their socks up and if they fail to do so get fired, like YEM was... They will then take to boards like this to register their disgust at their mistreatment, when in fact they only have themselves to blame. Or are you saying now that teaching standards don't need to be regulated?

Teaching is a constant development process, if you are unwilling to continually learn and develop yourself, you shouldn't be teaching.

Return to Index › Re Private "schools" and schools

Go to another board -