TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re To the fake 2
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-10-28
Re To the fake 2

A generalisation is an idea or conclusion having general application. You cannot use generalisations to refer to all instances.

To clarify further, just so there's no confusion (something quite widespread today...) A sweeping generalisation applies a general statement too broadly. If you take a general rule, and apply it to a case to which, due to the specific features of the case, the rule does not apply, then you commit the sweeping generalisation fallacy.

This is what you do when you say all private schools are bad, without further inspection of the specific school in question.

This is not what I do when I use 'tourist-teacher' to refer to a person who teaches to fund an extended holiday, not because teaching is something they are passionate about. Nor is it what I do when I call a specific person lazy for saying they do the bare minimum for their classes.

I do hope that clears matters up for you. Please feel free to continue changing the meanings of words, and the entire content of my posts, to fit your own lunacy again. It's getting quite funny now!

#2 Parent Beth - 2014-10-28
Re To the fake 2

You sweeping statements are on your favourite topics of teachers that you call "lazy" and "tourists" and similar stuff. You are NOT specific!

Calling teachers who only teach to fund an extend holiday tourist-teachers is not a generalisation, it's a moniker.

Calling somebody lazy if they say they do the bare minimum possible for their class planning is not a generalisation, it's a specific assessment of a specific statement.

You're having trouble with the definition of generalisation I see... So here it is in plain English for you: A generalisation is an idea or conclusion having general application. You cannot use generalisations to refer to all instances.

Return to Index › Re To the fake 2

Go to another board -