TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Does shyness make being a teacher difficult?
#1 Parent Bella - 2014-11-28
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult?

Hi there,
If you are not confident enough to speak in front of people, you can choose to teach English via Skype or other social media. You can find your own learners by writing a post on some websites. Personally, i think this is a good choice for you.

#2 Parent brechtian - 2014-11-28

Knowing what their degree is in, to know if it is relevant to teaching, and wanting to know
if they plan on sitting an ESL certification or plan to go in to teaching full time is
information that is crucial when advising if teaching is something suitable for them.

I'm not asking for their bank details!

Yes, all true Beth. Just suggesting caution about sharing personal details on message forums like this one. A lot of strange people in TEFL. to put it nicely.

#3 Parent brechtian - 2014-11-28

Well, you know what they say, Pauldeane "there's nowt to fear but fear itself."
Four weeks in the classroom and you would have conquered your shyness. It'll bring the
best out of you, I'm sure. Just don't listen to too many disgruntles on the Internet
forums, that's all. Just ignore any mickey-taking and it'll go away. There will always
be disruptive influences in the classroom.

But its not just the classroom. Wherever you go you have to live with them in their society. Which is that is the hard part. Teaching yes is an adventure and a tough job but can be learned. Just read pauldeane. Google this phrase "the korean mentality" and read. Read what Korean people themselves have to say

I don't expect this young man to listen though. Before I went people told me the same and I didn't listen. Believe me however, I wish I had.

#4 Parent Beth - 2014-11-27

I personally advise not giving such information and watch out when people on teachers boards ask for this. Find a friend of a friend who is doing something like what you are want to do. It's easy to find contacts like this nowadays. That way as you share about yourself they are also sharing about them

Knowing what their degree is in, to know if it is relevant to teaching, and wanting to know if they plan on sitting an ESL certification or plan to go in to teaching full time is information that is crucial when advising if teaching is something suitable for them.

I'm not asking for their bank details!

#5 Parent brechtian - 2014-11-27

Hi, I'm a recent University graduate considering teaching in South Korea.

I like the idea of teaching people and would try to do a good job but I'm worried that my
shyness would make me a bad teacher. I get nervous speaking in front of people, (I hated
giving presentations in University), and am worried that my pupils will just make fun of
me.

They will. South Koreans are arrogant and rude. If you find a place where this is not the case it is the exception and you should consider yourself unusually lucky.

Also I've heard children in hagwons can be very rude/disrespectful towards foreign teachers
so I'm very worried I'll have problems with being able to discipline leading to conflict
with my boss or the pupils parents.

They most likely will be and you most likely will.

Would it be so bad that a shy person would find it too difficult?

Yes. I recommend going somewhere else. Korea is a strange society at best and deliberately abusive at worst. It is a bad time now to go there. Try some place else. Even Russians are more honest and warmer and better all around people. Don't be lured in by the promise of easy money in South Korea. It's not easy and it's also not much money anymore.

#6 Parent brechtian - 2014-11-27

With more information about yourself I can advise further

I personally advise not giving such information and watch out when people on teachers boards ask for this. Find a friend of a friend who is doing something like what you are want to do. It's easy to find contacts like this nowadays. That way as you share about yourself they are also sharing about them

#7 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-11-26

I like the idea of teaching people and would try to do a good job but I'm worried that my shyness would make me a bad teacher. I get nervous speaking in front of people, (I hated giving presentations in University), and am worried that my pupils will just make fun of me.

Well, you know what they say, Pauldeane "there's nowt to fear but fear itself." Four weeks in the classroom and you would have conquered your shyness. It'll bring the best out of you, I'm sure. Just don't listen to too many disgruntles on the Internet forums, that's all. Just ignore any mickey-taking and it'll go away. There will always be disruptive influences in the classroom.

#8 Parent Beth - 2014-11-26

Hi Paula,

If shyness is crippling to you, you may struggle with teaching! For the most part, the students' attention will be focused on you and you have to have an air of authority otherwise making a class of kids of any nationality follow your instructions will be an uphill struggle!

It depends on the age of the kids you teach; younger students (under 12) may not effect you the same way teens or adults will.

All that said, it would be helpful to know what you graduated in and if you have any intention of sitting a decent teaching certification, such as the CELTA. And also if teaching is something you are planning to do in the long run? I'm not an advocate of people who finish uni and take a year off by using teaching to fund their travels, I'm afraid.

If your reason for teaching is because you want to live abroad for a year, there are many charity organizations that can provide you with places or projects to work on that allow you to travel and help communities, but without the responsibility that a teacher has to deliver education to their students.

With more information about yourself I can advise further :)

Pauldeane - 2014-11-26
Does shyness make being a teacher difficult?

I like the idea of teaching people and would try to do a good job but I'm worried that my shyness would make me a bad teacher. I get nervous speaking in front of people, (I hated giving presentations in University), and am worried that my pupils will just make fun of me.

Also I've heard children in hagwons can be very rude/disrespectful towards foreign teachers so I'm very worried I'll have problems with being able to discipline leading to conflict with my boss or the pupils parents.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about this or if anyone is/was in a similar situation.

Is/Was discipline a major problem in South Korea?

Would it be so bad that a shy person would find it too difficult?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to Index › Does shyness make being a teacher difficult?

Go to another board -