TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › What can i do legally? - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-10
Reply to Lois - Teachers discussion

Can you really not stand it for 6 months? That really isn't very long, barely till next fall. Are you being physically threatened or abused?
Almost all jobs are difficult. Is there anything you can negotiate with your manager, or with the other teachers you work with? Sometimes things seem really hard, bad, gloomy and as if there is no way out. "When will this nightmare ever end?!"
Do you have friends, places you like to go, things to do on your days off? Where ever I go, I find a place that feels a bit homey to me, that I'm comfortable going to, a place that I would go to at home. After a couple of hours or so there on a day off, I'm usually feeling much better about things.
Maybe doing this is more of a lesson in something you haven't discovered you need to learn. Or maybe its just another lesson in how to cope, be patient, be creative.
And THAT being said, I felt I had to leave early in my last job. But I cant think of a more incompetent manager than the last two I've had.
Good luck and tell us what you decide.

#2 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-04-10
Where are you? - Teachers discussion

Where are you teaching now? Asia, Latin America,....?

Also, do you really want to quit and go back home or quit and find another teaching job in the same country?

I wish I could say "If you want to head back home, just pack up and head to the airport. No one will care, really.", but I can't. I don't know your situation. For one thing, what is your housing situation? Is your housing provided by the school, or did you have to rent a place on your own, meaning you had to put down a deposit? If you put down a deposit, more than likely you'll have to fulfill your housing contract obligation if you want the deposit back.

Here's a 'sidetrack' morsel for your own heads up: I'd NEVER put down a big deposit anywhere if I were renting a place only to work in ESL. You just never know for sure if it will work out long enough to get the deposit back. I know of people who rented, put down big deposits, went to work as ESL teachers, and quit after the first week. They lost their deposits because they had to move somewhere else for another job. Nice move. Idiot move, actually.

Also, are you contractually obligated to give a notice if you want to quit? Some places want a month notice, some places want a notice and then want you to stay until they find a replacement for you, which could be six days or six weeks. This may mean something if you want to keep on teaching in your present host country.

With that said, know that no one is forgotten more quickly than an English teacher. Turnover and teachers quitting is a reality most schools have become accustomed to. If your school is taking care of your housing situation, take your work permit back to the government office from whence you got it, fill out the forms if you need to fill out any, and then head to the airport. No one can force you to stay on the next six months. Just be sure you don't screw yoursel if you DO bolt.

Good luck.

Lois - 2006-04-10
What can i do legally? - Teachers discussion

Hi, i read some of the comments with relief, because i thought i was the only one feeling let down, and quite dispirited. I have also experienced some of the things others have, and its got to the point where i have only 1 option left and that is to move on. However this is the problem, i have signed on for 6 months can i break my contract and just leave or can they they (agent/school????) force me to complete my 6 months, I'd apprecriate any advice out there.Lois :?

Return to Index › What can i do legally? - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -