TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China Teaching Opportunity
#1 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-01
Re China Teaching Opportunity

I did not mean to go off topic and for that I am sorry.

As you have answered my post however, I still maintain teaching in the middle east is better for a bloke in late 20s/30s if lacking in significant resources. If you are well off then China is no problem at that age.

Peace,
Sludge

#2 Parent Curtis - 2014-11-30

He didn't say he was in it for the money. He also didn't say he wanted to go to Saudi Arabia. He said he's going to China and I said take a job for at least 10,000, not because I think hes going there to make mad money and save, but because I don't want him getting taken advantage of getting paid a lower than the market rate for the region he is going. Please keep your posts on topic.

I try and post and tell people what they deserve when going to China and you guys who live on this message board jump in with your own agendas. Honestly you guys fill up this message board with so much smoke it is hard for people to give good advice to new teachers going abroad.

#3 Parent Sludge - 2014-11-29

Good points, but if you are in ESL for the money then China is just the wrong place, as point of fact.

A years teaching in Saudi Arabia, hard though it may be for some of the males on here, will let you have more saved than 3 years in China ever would, unless you are a professor or something like that or an expat working for a big company. Even then you may have to pay tax in China. Teaching in Oman just got more difficult due to the visa process getting more stringent, but the demand from Saudi Arabia seems high, it may be boring, but you get paid for your boredom and in the summer break, chilling out on a beach in vietnam, or backpacking south america is doable, as well as a trip home.

Perhaps I should ask this, how many FT's on here who are currently in China, and without resources back home, travel abroad each summer holiday, and return home, and make savings. Not many I bet, only perhaps the ones with resources.

#4 Parent Sludge - 2014-11-28

I was going to say 6,000 is the standard, but given they want 18 hours per week and that China has undergone rapid inflation in recent years, I think this is rather low, I would agree. I wouldn't teach 18 classes a week at a public job for anything less than 7,000 or even 8,000 rmb per month. The apartment included should have EVERYTHING working. Airfare more than covering what it costs to go home and travel allowance should also definitely be included.

#5 Parent Beth - 2014-11-28

Unless your degree is in English or education, you cannot call yourself a teacher.

Nobody should be teaching without the relevant qualifications. A relevant degree and a classroom based TEFL or CELTA qualification. Otherwise you're just a native speaker using your students to get passport stamps. You also leave yourself wide open to unscrupulous recruiters or schools who can exploit your niavitiy about teaching standards and methodology to thier own ends.

Not to mention it's not fair to your students to receive education from someone who doesn't know what they're doing!

#6 Parent Curtis - 2014-11-28

Don't take anything less than 10 thousand, visa paid for by school, apartment and flight paid either by reimbursement or a fixed bonus of 6000 RMB or more.
Also for 10 thousand you shouldnt be working more than 24 teaching hours a week.

#7 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-11-27

That depends upon what level you are teaching, what city you are in and so on.

#8 Parent Daniel - 2014-11-27

What is the average salary for a first time teacher without a TEFL and just a degree?

#9 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-11-27

Sounds terrible, the salary is low and the allowance is just a way to steal money from you by denying you the full salary.

Also, if they aren't confirming the location, chances are that they are sending you somewhere shit, to a school that either struggles to recruit teachers or can't legally recruit teachers. That's what agencies do.

I'd run.

Daniel - 2014-11-26
China Teaching Opportunity

Hi there.

I have been in contact with a teaching agency based in China. They have offered me 6000RMB for 18 hours primary school teaching a week. This would increase 500RMB every semester. I have 2 months off in the summer, with a 1000RMB allowance. Accommodation and meals are also included. I have yet to discuss whether they cover the cost of a visa or my return flights. The location of the school is yet to be confirmed.

Does this seem a good deal to you?

I have some teaching experience, from volunteering here in England. I have a Bsc Hons and I will soon complete a TEFL.

Thank you.

Return to Index › China Teaching Opportunity

Go to another board -