TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Cambridge DELTA exam - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Susan Farley - 2007-11-13
Re: DELTA Qualification - Teachers Discussion

I think there are some MA options that can earn credit points towards the DELTA. I took three years to complete my MA and am beginning the DELTA next year, choosing the distance option. The DELTA seems to be more focussed on the teaching side wheareas teh MA was more theoretical.

#2 Parent Linda - 2007-05-16
DELTA Qualification - Teachers Discussion

Does anyone have any info about the equivalence of a Master's in Education ELT and a DELTA. I have been told that a Master's followed by 10 hours of observed lessons "gives" you the DELTA. Pleas, please does anyone have the official line on this??
Many thanks
Linda

#3 Parent Emily - 2006-05-07
Re DELTA exam - Teachers Discussion

I totally agree about the DELTA exam. It goes against everything they teach you on the course. It is so unrealistic and with a pass rate of 50% you would think they would question its validity and change something
I learned so much from the course but nothing from the exam.

#4 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-15
Zoltan's right - Teachers discussion

Zoltan is right.
Last summer at an English corner I don't know who was more surprised, me or a 23 year old guy with the English name of "Zilch" when I explained that the TV show of "Friends" was not a realistic representation of life in America. He was surprised that it is not an accurate representation, and I was surprised that a Univ educated person could be so naive as to think that it was not a piece of fiction (written, acted and produced for TV.)
Many, most, maybe all, of my students and friends have preconceived ideas of what westerners are like. The ideas come from TV shows on disc, DVDs for a buck at the video store, movies downloaded from the net, and news from English language Yahoo.
What a disappointment when we don't live up to the likes of movie stars and pro athletes.
But how charming when we make asses of ourselves in public when we're drunk, pissed off, seen frequenting "hair salons", or being hungover or drunk in class as teachers!
So what should our friends, students, collegues and employers think? Can they forget about the previous teachers they hired and then skipped town when they didn't like their jobs? Or when they are lied to by young teachers about credentials and experience? What should they think when we show up in yesterdays clothes, smelling pretty ripe, obviously hungover, unable to teach an early class?
Its not all their fault, not all our fault. The system is pretty messed up, with alot of distrust everywhere. Too bad we can't all shake hands, say we're sorry, and get a fresh start. But its too damn difficult.

#5 Parent Zoltan - 2006-04-14
Boring students or boring teachers - Teachers discussion

I had much the same experience both in China and South Korea. Students come to class expecting a super-fun teacher who will feed them knowledge without any effort on their part. I think this is largely cultural.

Chinese and South Korean students do not, as a general rule, look at Westerners as full human beings but as caricatures. They expect Westerners to look (white, tall, blonde, blue eyed) and act (wild, crazy, dumb as a rock) a certain way, and are almost invariably dissapointed when these expectations go unmet. This, combined with a cultural submissiveness/passivity that does not encourage the development of self-reliance in learning or much else creates an atmosphere where you are looked at as the actor, expected to play a part and they are the audience, accustomed to and expecting a certain kind of performance.

#6 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-14
re: Boring students or boring teachers - Teachers discussion

Right on, Yingwen! What a great reply! It really seems that way some times, that we have to jump through all the hoops to make an impression.
But it seems to me, if they're adult learners, its more about getting them to express themselves in English, and less about us having them listen to us.
Maybe having the students practice negotiations, debate, arguement and speech-givin--all the things they can already do in their native language, but haven't had any experience with in English--seem pretty pointless if we're just there to entertain them.
Maybe the first meeting with each new group we could clue them in on the idea that classes with foreign teachers may be a bit different than customary, that we expect participation on their part during the classes, that their grade, promotion, employee evaluation, success in getting that job with the foreign company depends, at least in part, on their ability to take part. That their ability later on down the road to take part as a manager in a foreign company rather than just sit and watch in meetings, depends alot on the practice they get in the classes they get with us.
We're not just teaching language, but the ability to communicate.

#7 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-04-13
Boring teachers or Boring Students? - Teachers discussion

Right on Rheno! Yes it's true that teachers often cop a lot of flak for being boring from students who forget or don't realize their own responsibility in learning.

While teaching in Beijing, in my first year or so here in China, I got criticized on occasion for being boring in class. I just couldn't make the leaders of the schools understand that the students were under obligation to play their part. Yes, I played the game! Doing my best to make the class as interesting and challenging as I could, but I soon realized that Chinese students had spent all their school life being spoon-fed.

Talk about passive learners. I couldn't think of anything more frustrating than, all day, jumping up and down in and around the classroom trying to create some energy amongst dead students, only to get hauled into the office at the end of the day and be told that my class was dull and uninteresting. "Well I have news for you mate!... So are most of your students!", was my reply, in so many words.

Many students in China don't have the foggiest idea that THEY are chiefly responsible for their own study, and that there are NO short cuts! They have to learn now that the only way to learn anything or get on in life in the future is through HARD WORK, which will by the way, be often, boring and monotonous. But here's the point! Study or life in general is as boring as the individual makes it. It's primarily up to the STUDENTS to make their study meaningful, stimulating and interesting. Many just can't see it!

I still get asked on almost a daily basis (and by college students no less, who have been "studying" English for at least twelve years), "How can I improve my speaking/listening/writing...?" Myself in reply? "Hold on a minute has anyone seen my wand?...Oh, here it is!... Now open your English textbook, place both your hands palm down on the pages, close your eyes , and slowly chant, "My English is perfect, fifty times"... Now how do you feel?... I said HOW... DO... YOU... FEEL!.......HOW DO.....H-O-W!...Ahhh!, ...hold on let's... um, try again, ...it hasn't worked...

#8 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-12
re: good in their own way - Teachers discussion

I recently worked with a career ESL teacher--Africa, Middle East, China--with credentials up the wazoo. On paper he is the ideal ESL teacher; in the classroom, his students are bored out of their skulls. Somewhere along the way he forgot how to be interesting. He's become reliant on posters, pictures, songs, just entertaining whoever it is sitting in desks in front of him.
This was at a language training center, and we would occasionally sit in on each others' classes. This gentleman never realised how dull things were as he never made eye contact.
I'm sure some students responded to this type of teaching, but the few return students from his classes would request a different teacher.
At the end of each course, students were requested to write an evaluation of the course and the teacher (generally used for advertising purposes!) He was always surprised when he would recive almost no feedback, just really general stuff, if anything. "Thanks" "Helpful" "Bye bye"
An evaluation needs to be both quantitative (numeric/objective) and qualitative (subjective.)Some people feel better at one over the other.

#9 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-04-12
Those teachers are good in their own way - Teachers discussion

Those teachers are good in their own way. I remember several teachers back in my high school days who could bore a sloth. But they taught me some valuable lessons.

One lesson was that sometimes we have to endure boring things to get where we want to go. It's almost if the universe has set a cruel 'boring' tax for us all to pay. It seems we each have to be bored a certain amount in life one way or another. We are doomed to at least some boredom and can't escape it.

Another lesson I learned from my 'boring' teachers, one even more important than the above, served me well in college later. I learned that if a teacher is getting in the way of my learning, that won't stop me. If I want to learn something, I can go through the teacher, around him, over him, under him, whatever. A teacher will not stop me.

Thai students need to learn these two lessons desperately.

#10 Parent Sareena - 2006-04-11
DELTA ESOL EXAM - Teachers discussion

Over all my experience of the DELTA course was more than positive, it honed my skills and allowed me to develop my teaching skills and language awareness. Though there is a need to assess teacher understanding the inauthentic examination under timed conditions does not fufil the ethos of the vocational training. How many classes do you teach or prepare for where you are under timed examination conditions? none is the emphatic answer. Good teachers use resources to draw on, growing up in the emphatically anti grammer translation era of the 80s and 90s I often refer to grammar texts to clariffy nuances etc, perhaps in a 10 years time I will become a walking grammar. I have a professor ( I am studying for my MA in Linguistics) who is just that, a walking grammar but an appalling teacher and lecturer, the thought that he taught ESL/EAP for thrity years fills me with horror. He would love the exam.
But until then the usual methods of designing analysisng ansd assesing this area should also reflect the real life scenario. By all means keep it timed, but make the tasks all authentic to the teaching experience and linked ,allow teachers refence materials. After all none can use reference material without understanding.

Carrie - 2005-05-05
Cambridge DELTA exam - ESL discussion

Has anyone taken the Cambridge DELTA exam recently and do you have any opinions regarding the exam?
Do you think it is a good method for assessing practicing teachers?

Return to Index › Cambridge DELTA exam - ESL discussion

Go to another board -