TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book
#1 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-05
Re Pre-print version of my book

I use it quite often to teach grammar points, kids and adults alike love it and it's a wonderful motivator... But I use it to teach grammar points such as future for prediction, or conditionals, or narrative tenses.

I do exactly the same, and it's nice to pause Mr Bean from time to time to do that.

I agree, he's more comfortable using it to teach culture rather than language... Not that a comedy show from over 20 years ago is that indicative of modern British culture!

Yep, things have moved...down, more the pity, but that's just how I see things. The UK for me is a bit like somebody has broken into your home while away and has painted it with all the colours you don't like and installed Ikea (don't know how they spell it) furniture-en fin pour moi- that'll get our French expert going! hahaha!

#2 Parent Beth - 2014-12-05

I use it quite often to teach grammar points, kids and adults alike love it and it's a wonderful motivator... But I use it to teach grammar points such as future for prediction, or conditionals, or narrative tenses.

I agree, he's more comfortable using it to teach culture rather than language... Not that a comedy show from over 20 years ago is that indicative of modern British culture!

#3 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-05

Actually, you have it very much back to front. In the case of EF we were encouraged to impart cultural lessons.. Something I disagree with. My job is not to teach my students about British culture, it is to teach them to speak English

Spot on there. I think he finds it easier to teach the culture instead of the language. But I think you'll agree with Sludge that from time to time you can use Mr Bean and The BBC as vehicles for learning how-to-speak-English.

#4 Parent Beth - 2014-12-05

Actually, you have it very much back to front. In the case of EF we were encouraged to impart cultural lessons.. Something I disagree with. My job is not to teach my students about British culture, it is to teach them to speak English. If they are going to visit England, then a 1-1 class about the culture is warranted, but not as a regular part if thier language classes, no more than I would teach them cultural norms of the USA, Canada or any other English speaking country. If it is a corporate ( business) class, whose students are going to be dealing with native speakers, then yes, some aspects of British culture and etiquette is appropriate. But as I said before, unless the topic comes up (national stereotypes are a good way to teach adjective extension and articles) I would never do a lesson specifically about British culture.

Otherwise my job is to teach them how to speak, write, read and listen fluently in English. Not to be their cultural adviser. This has nothing to do with profit and everything to do with my role as a language teacher. I spent 3 hours in adult classes yesterday ranging from A3(PET) to C2(Proficiency), these people are learning English to improve their employment chances... If I were to say "OK, today I'm going to teach about life in England!" they would not be impressed! They are attending classes to learn the English language, not learn about what English people get up to at the weekend.

Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book

Go to another board -