TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book
#1 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-06
Re Pre-print version of my book

However, videos are still a wonderful motivator so for the lower levels Mr Bean is great.

No british FT should come to China without it all on DVD or the video files imho, it is invaluable.

#2 Parent Beth - 2014-12-05
Re Pre-print version of my book

Actually, that's the very reason I use it, the fact it's non-verbal.

I find that low level learners are often the most stressed by listening activities, so I prefer to keep them short and structured. They often see videos and simply shut down, so worried are they that they won't understand. However, videos are still a wonderful motivator so for the lower levels Mr Bean is great. Similarly for the very little ones I use an animation about a silly polar bear named Bernard, which is also purely visual.

I use them to teach grammar points like the present continuous "What is Bernard doing" the present simple "Where is Mr Bean?" right up to having the students create basic dialogue for the scenes themselves. All the time without the stress of having to listen to extended dialogue.

For slightly higher levels it's also good to have it with one student facing the screen, another with their back to it and the student facing has to describe what's happening to their partner. There's loads of things you can do, grammar and vocabulary wise, with a non-verbal sequences. Pretty much the last thing I would use it for is to discuss culture!

Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book

Go to another board -