TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re TPR
#1 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-15
Re TPR

You said explicitly that you used your classes in order to get the phone numbers of your female students in order to meet up with them after classes were over in order to peruse sexual relations with them. The fact these posts are conveniently deleted now doesn't change the fact you said it.

You are the one who gives yourself a certain reputation.

I have never accused you of molesting anyone (guilty conscience, perhaps?), just of unethical and immoral abuses of your position as an educator.

It seems you want to keep going round on the "Male teacher who only wants to teach 16 classes a week, and dates his students AFTER they are no LONGER his students is baaaad!" roundabout, and I am not willing to do that.

Now if you are prepared to discuss serious matters relating to China like visas, where an easy and good teaching job can be found, and teaching materials I am happy to discuss that. It is pointless to argue with you on anything else, as you are unable to look at things in black and white.

Have a good christmas though by the bye.

#2 Parent Beth - 2014-12-14
Re TPR

You said explicitly that you used your classes in order to get the phone numbers of your female students in order to meet up with them after classes were over in order to peruse sexual relations with them. The fact these posts are conveniently deleted now doesn't change the fact you said it.

You are the one who gives yourself a certain reputation.

I have never accused you of molesting anyone (guilty conscience, perhaps?), just of unethical and immoral abuses of your position as an educator.

#3 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-14
Re TPR

Yes, despite the odd bit of sabre rattling, one can drink if one chooses. When I was first there I did not have my booze permit, rather foolishly I bought lager on the black market off an Indian, but in hindsight,better to be legal and get the permit with a very generous allowance from the Royal Omani Police. In hotels with a pub and a restaurant, booze is also available. There is no real "bar or nightclub culture" so China or Ibiza it is not, if you are a partier who wants to do drugs, the mid east is not the place, even Dubai is very strict on that.

The oman of today? no idea, I do know they are having a visa crackdown, but so is China.

#4 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-14
Re TPR

It indicates that you teach in order to remain in a country where you have access to cheap booze and females who are impressionable enough to be impressed with you simply because you aren't Asian!

Let us get this out of the way. I never groomed or manipulated my students, in fact, I only ever dated 1 of my students, and only when she was NO LONGER my student. But yes, if there was a girl I liked I would get her number, more often that not, even when an ex student it would go no further than dinner or drinks. What's wrong with female company? Does not always have to be about sex, I might have just been lonely and wanted someone to talk with, did you ever stop to think about that? I am not this lothario pursuing and molesting students that you make me out to be, [edited] [edited]

#5 Parent Beth - 2014-12-09
Re TPR

This term you have coined, "tourist teacher", I honestly do not believe there is such a thing. If someone is a peado or sexpat, they certainly would not need to teach english to do so. If you are rich, a printed business card, travel intinerary and visa fee will get you a business visa for 6 or 12 months in China in Hong Kong, which gives you enough time to seek out whores/younger chinese girls, and no, that is not from experience, just stating some facts. I never molested or tried to have sex with my students, and yes, I prefer female students for the reasons they are simply more hard working.If they want to date me after they are my student, that is their choice, not yours. Whoever said TEFL was a VOCATION!!! A very strange thing to say......
Yes it is a term I have coined. It refers to those whose primary reason for teaching is to travel, to have an extended holiday not because they enjoy teaching or consider it anything more than a means to an end. This usually means their students come a very distant second to their social lives... meaning that they will happily go out on the p!ss the night before they are due to teach, without regard to how this will impact or impair their lesson.It means they would rather spend their free time chilling than developing their skills as a teacher. All this would be absolutely fine if it wasn't their students who suffer for it.

Do you know of and understand the rassias method?
Yes, it's speed learning. It is not helpful to long term fluency. Most learners doing an intensive week of learning a foreign language fail to retain anything useful in the long term unless they then continue to learn the language in a normal paced way.

Prove that statement, you cannot. And even so, what's wrong with teaching high school, all the same level, the same well planned lesson, for 16 periods a week?
You know I can't as it was conveniently lost during the supposed 'upgrade'. But we both know you said it and if you deny it we both know you're lying. 16 classes are not at the same level. I have taught in Chinese middle and high schools and although they are the same age, the ability varies dramatically. In which case 16 of the same lesson is not addressing the students learning needs. If you cared about them at all, those 16 classes would not be one lesson, they would be 16 classes tailored to suit the needs of the students in that particular class.

What's different? The lesson planning or the methodology involved, quite lost here.
The difference between tourist teachers and real teachers. You believe 1 lesson plan can cover 16 different lessons because you would rather spend the extra time planning each one would take down the pub. I would prefer to plan for each lesson so that the students in each class were getting the best lesson for their ability.

These training centres like to make up fancy acronyms like those you mentioned. Forward planning for easter? That is not necessary, even in the gulf states!!!! I think you like to make too much work for yourself methinks.
You think FCE and CAE are made up training centre terms?! Oh dear! no, they are the names of B2 and C1 level exams for C-ESOL, both of which are required certification for foriegn speakers entering English speaking universities (depending on the university and the course, they will request one of the two). Not to mention a requirement of a lot of employers these days whose employees will be dealing with international clients, English being the international business language, you see.

And yes, forward planning is important. If you were a real teacher you wouldn't suggest otherwise! You have a duty to your students, especially those sitting exams in June, to ensure you are covering what needs to be covered during the term and giving them ample exam preparation. To do this, you forward plan each term. You also do individual needs assessments. This is not creating more work for myself. It is simply my job.

Untrue on all claims. I prefer women over 30 so that puts "girls" out of the picture. I teach because I love teaching
Being slightly pedantic on the term 'girls'... But ok, females then. And considering you have bragged in the past of using your classes to get the phone numbers of the females in your classes so you can meet up at a later day for sex, I don't believe you when you claim it is untrue that it isn't the reason you teach in Asia. None of the posts, none of the opinions you have expressed on this board indicate that you love teaching. It indicates that you teach in order to remain in a country where you have access to cheap booze and females who are impressionable enough to be impressed with you simply because you aren't Asian!
#6 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-09
Re TPR

in Oman I had my enjoyable moments, when a blind boy of descent from mozambique thanked me for teaching and bought me tea, and a father of one of my students invited me to his home, and thanked me for coming to Oman and helping his people out. to say I do not care is very heartless of you. I do, and you do not know me!

Yes, it's these things that make one's efforts worthwhile. Can you get anything to drink in Oman apart from tea and coffee? I mean are you allowed?

And what about the Oman of today...maybe a tad scary- what do you think?

#7 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-09
Re TPR

If I may respond? And I will try to be as polite as possible.

It's fine to not like teaching kids, it is not fine however to mock and cast aspersions about the methodologies used to teach YL classes when you have zero experience of teaching those classes.

Agreed. It's fine to not like teaching kids. And by admitting I do not, I am at least being honest, and leaving more work for those FT's who do enjoy it and want to do it. The youngest age I prefer to teach is 15/16 and upwards, so that would be middle school in China being the lowest level, Chinese college/university students the highest (and preferred) level. Who said I have zero experience? Tried it, didn't like it, and moved on.

Not that I've ever said everyone should teach YL classes and only FTs that do are real teachers... That's something you've cooked up yourself

Fair enough, I will let the "real teachers" argument go. Satisfied?

The difference between tourist-teachers like you and real teachers like me is that I teach because it is my vocation,

This term you have coined, "tourist teacher", I honestly do not believe there is such a thing. If someone is a peado or sexpat, they certainly would not need to teach english to do so. If you are rich, a printed business card, travel intinerary and visa fee will get you a business visa for 6 or 12 months in China in Hong Kong, which gives you enough time to seek out whores/younger chinese girls, and no, that is not from experience, just stating some facts. I never molested or tried to have sex with my students, and yes, I prefer female students for the reasons they are simply more hard working.If they want to date me after they are my student, that is their choice, not yours. Whoever said TEFL was a VOCATION!!! A very strange thing to say......

it's a career I chose because I love teaching

That is noble. I see no ships.

and as such I have trained and continue to take part in further professional development to continue doing the best for my students.

As have I.Do you know of and understand the rassias method?

You do one lesson plan for 16 classes because that's "all my students deserve"

Prove that statement, you cannot. And even so, what's wrong with teaching high school, all the same level, the same well planned lesson, for 16 periods a week?

That's the difference, not what age group you teach.

What's different? The lesson planning or the methodology involved, quite lost here.

I have 3 sets of course books sitting on my desk, a pre-int YL text book and two adult texts for FCE and CAE. I'm spending my day forward planning those classes for the easter term to ensure I'm covering the necessary elements throughout next term so they are prepared for the exam they will sit next June. That is what a real teacher does, not short change their students because they want to maximize their own free time.

These training centres like to make up fancy acronyms like those you mentioned. Forward planning for easter? That is not necessary, even in the gulf states!!!! I think you like to make too much work for yourself methinks.

To you teaching is a means to an end,

So what if it is? You don't think it is to Chinese teachers? Everyone needs to eat.

that end being your continued employment in a country where you have ready access to naive and impressionable girls for you to add to your collection of notches. I teach because I love teaching and care about my students.

Untrue on all claims. I prefer women over 30 so that puts "girls" out of the picture. I teach because I love teaching, esp. in China, not so much in Oman, but even in Oman I had my enjoyable moments, when a blind boy of descent from mozambique thanked me for teaching and bought me tea, and a father of one of my students invited me to his home, and thanked me for coming to Oman and helping his people out. to say I do not care is very heartless of you. I do, and you do not know me!

Either way, this is going to be my last post for a while, I need to plan somethings for my future and christmas is coming up. I wish you, and everyone else on here, one and all, happy holidays and a merry christmas.

I will repost again in the new year sometime, until then, zai jian, bye bye.
S.

#8 Parent AnotherEXEFDLteacher - 2014-12-07
Re TPR

Sludge,

It's a good job you aren't teaching young learners because you are the only one with these 'curious' feelings. When did Beth ever say that she doesn't accept that some 'FTs' don't like teaching YL classes? She has always had an each to their own opinion in that regard!

#9 Parent Beth - 2014-12-07
Re TPR

It's fine to not like teaching kids, it is not fine however to mock and cast aspersions about the methodologies used to teach YL classes when you have zero experience of teaching those classes.

Not that I've ever said everyone should teach YL classes and only FTs that do are real teachers... That's something you've cooked up yourself

The difference between tourist-teachers like you and real teachers like me is that I teach because it is my vocation, it's a career I chose because I love teaching and as such I have trained and continue to take part in further professional development to continue doing the best for my students. You do one lesson plan for 16 classes because that's "all my students deserve"

That's the difference, not what age group you teach.

I have 3 sets of course books sitting on my desk, a pre-int YL text book and two adult texts for FCE and CAE. I'm spending my day forward planning those classes for the easter term to ensure I'm covering the necessary elements throughout next term so they are prepared for the exam they will sit next June. That is what a real teacher does, not short change their students because they want to maximize their own free time.

To you teaching is a means to an end, that end being your continued employment in a country where you have ready access to naive and impressionable girls for you to add to your collection of notches. I teach because I love teaching and care about my students.

#10 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-07
Re TPR

Because of real teachers like me.

We can keep going round this "real teacher" roundabout, but much like keep missing the exit for Southport it soon becomes boring and quarrelsome. Why can't you just accept that some FT's DO NOT like teaching kids?! How does that affect you? Very strange indeed.

#11 Parent Beth - 2014-12-07
Re TPR

I've never defended kindergartens. There has been nothing spurious to defend. It's a valid and internationally accepted area of teaching

I specialize in.teaching YL classes, from 5+. Why would that make you cautious?! My training is.in YL teaching, I've been teaching YL classes for 11 years. Why is this curious?! How else do you think the advanced adult speakers in your lazy conversation classes became advanced speakers?! Because of real teachers like me.

#12 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-07
Re TPR

You can leave the rest to all those muppet show actors at EF, New Ortiental, Hampson, and all the other rubbish training centres.

Hampson really got run through the ringer in Hangzhou as being nothing more than a scam language mill. You would lose your mind and sanity working at such a place, and as I have said many times previously, teaching little boys is not for me. I am very curious about teachers like beth who defend kindergartens so adamantly. Thanks for the reply.

Return to Index › Re TPR

Go to another board -