TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-12-07
Re Pre-print version of my book

I used Blackpool as an example, a picture of any UK beach would serve the same purpose.

And if you're showing a snippet of video, simply to show he's at a beach it is equally as time wasting as if you are only showing a snippet then a picture really would suffice and you wouldn't waste time faffing about with setting up a video clip.

The only times videos have a place in a classroom is when they are being used to teach a grammar point. Or an advanced speaking or listening task. Not for showing low level learners what a beach in the UK looked like 20+ years ago!

#2 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-07

So could showing a picture of Blackpool and it wouldn't waste 10 minutes of your class. Showing a whole video just to start a discussion about the British seaside is lazy.

Let me respond to your two points, politely, if I may?

Yes, a picture can be a thousand words, but really blackpool is not that great. I would not show a picture or video of blackpool at all. So that mr bean segment at the seaside with the blind man is just fine by me. I never STATED I show/showed the whole video, where on earth did you come up with that from?

#3 Parent Beth - 2014-12-06

So could showing a picture of Blackpool and it wouldn't waste 10 minutes of your class. Showing a whole video just to start a discussion about the British seaside is lazy.

#4 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-06

So how, exactly, is it a good way to teach British English any more than a picture or an image?! The fact it's wordless means you can use it for any variant of English!

It is wordless, but the cultural nuances that it touches upon are priceless.

Like in one episode where he is at the beach with a blind man on a deck chair, that could well be a lead in for a discussion and explaination about the british seaside.....I grew up not too far from blackpool and southport so they were interested to know about why british people liked to go to the seaside. Endless possibilities with mr bean.

#5 Parent Beth - 2014-12-05

Mr Bean is as beloved around the world largely due to the fact it is visual comedy and contains little to no dialogue!

So how, exactly, is it a good way to teach British English any more than a picture or an image?! The fact it's wordless means you can use it for any variant of English!

#6 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-05

Mr bean is absolutely excellent and perfectly apt for teaching british culture and british english.

Fond memories of them giggling away to mr bean at the swimming pool.

#7 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-04

Absolutely right. I would always teach things about british culture and british food through ppts and other examples. It is not just language you are teaching, but that of a different culture. And given that many chinese students will go on to study in the UK, getting a cultural background from a UK native english speaker is invaluable I would say.Just as learning mandarin from a native speaking resident of China would be a big plus to any UK businessman or prospective FT going to China.

The BBC does some quite good stuff which you can incorporate in lesson plans, don't you think? That does take in some British culture which doesn't get in the way of actually learning how to speak the language. Mr bean is loaded with culture when you think about it- you even learn about British food like Twiglets hahaha!? I agree with what you say. If you do get intimate with culture, it is far more interesting to the students if you are part of that culture, inasmuch as you're part of the Anglo-Saxon English speaking world. Americans can also talk about British culture if they want because we all know about each other, since we speak the same language. In fact I have taught American English (pardon the oxymoron) because I had to and had no problems. The big problem can be in a conversational class is where the student has to ask FT Boris Schmitrenhauser what they (meaning the British) do and don't do after they've finished their fish&chips..not very exciting for the students, if you get my drift? Boris has to say, well, they... belch, go home, and have a late night fry-up, eggs&bacon. Best if the teacher can say WE.

#8 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-04

Teachers like you are not only language teachers but also cultural mediators of the language you teach.

Absolutely right. I would always teach things about british culture and british food through ppts and other examples. It is not just language you are teaching, but that of a different culture. And given that many chinese students will go on to study in the UK, getting a cultural background from a UK native english speaker is invaluable I would say.Just as learning mandarin from a native speaking resident of China would be a big plus to any UK businessman or prospective FT going to China.

Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book

Go to another board -