TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Qingdao Vocational and Technical College of Hotel Management
#1 Parent Down-Under - 2014-12-09
Re Qingdao Vocational and Technical College of Hotel Management

Note all the truly desperate teachers plus DOS at QVTC who refuse to address the only real issue. It's a really bad place to work. Notice that none of their posts have anything to do with working there. Confusion is their only salvation. I guess they belong at QHVC.

#2 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-08

I think you are right, perhaps 10 years ago being an english teacher (but not in Shanghai!) would be enough to get you a girl. That said, I do know a lot of broke as a joke FT's who have gone on to marry chinese ladies, but yes, circa 2014, no such luck. I can believe that about those dating sites, though I avoid dating sites myself.

Cheers for the reply pete.

#3 Parent Peter Sedgwick - 2014-12-07

I am inclined to agree with you. It is those men, young or old with or without a degree who come to China because they are too poor to get a woman in their own countries, they are likely to not have a house or any money in the bank in their country of origin. They have been marginalized back home and being an English teacher in China gives them a false sense of status and importance.

Now Chinese women are also starting to see them as losers, there are even adds starting appear on Chinese dating sites stating "no English teachers". These is probably the sort of foreign teachers at the college in Qingdao. They are desperate to stay in China and will always praise the place because if they have to leave they will be homeless on their return to England or the USA, wherever.

If a foreign teacher has money and a house back home and can prove it then a Chinese woman might be interested in him. If he can just go out to the more expensive restaurants and bars and clubs in China and not have to worry about the bill.

If you are just living on 7000 rmb a month then Chinese women will just ignore you, even if you are well-educated and of good character. That is what they are like, sad to say! They would rather be with a rich man of poor character than poor man of good character.

The rich and good looking guys get the women every time!

#4 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-07

People that wish to stay in China at all costs and defend it unconditionally tend to have a few skeletons hidden in the closet.

Hmmmm, in my experience (8 years or thereabouts in China in various places, and fluent in mandarin and some cantonese) it is mostly those without a degree and no prospects for getting a girl/wife back home who cling to the place like a barnacle to a sea pier and defend the place. Whether they actually have any rattling bones in a closet somewhere, is another matter indeed.

#5 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-06

People that wish to stay in China at all costs and defend it unconditionally tend to have a few skeletons hidden in the closet.

hahaha! I expect it's a break for you to be whipped out of that dark and dank, tall and ranks closet, all scrunched up with them dusty manuscript and books wot never made it? hahaha! only joking lol.

#6 Parent Beth - 2014-12-06

Of course it could just be that they genuinely enjoy their jobs and lives in China? I have friends there that went initially for a year or two, fell in love with the country and the culture and are still there many years later.

#7 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-12-06

First, there is a hostile work
environment here from a bunch of young male teachers who consider themselves some kind
of China guardians.

Either those that are still going through the tourist phase (the novelty of young beautiful Asian women and cheap piss-weak beer should quickly wear off for them) or they are wanted by the police back home in relation to various crimes that have been committed. People that wish to stay in China at all costs and defend it unconditionally tend to have a few skeletons hidden in the closet.

Sure China can be said to be a nice country overall; but you shouldn't patronise its people by falsely declaring that everything about their country is absolutely wonderful, when they have quite a few problems of their own to deal with, problems that foreigners such as ourselves won't be able to relate to in any way whatsoever.

Down-Under - 2014-12-06
Qingdao Vocational and Technical College of Hotel Management

There are many reasons to avoid this place at all costs. First, there is a hostile work environment here from a bunch of young male teachers who consider themselves some kind of China guardians. They will interfere in your classroom and create problems for you with your students. The apartments are old and badly furnished not to mention stripped of anything usable. You will spend significant money for necessities, e.g., sheets, towels, etc. The classes are very large. There is a DOS who is little more than a stooge for the College. They will use him against you. The level of English is uniformly poor among the students for which you will be blamed even though they know that it is ridiculous. The quality of the student is very low with many of them having failed to graduate from high school. The International Office is unhelpful and will do as little for you as possible. The College is a depository for students who have done poorly. If you are desperate this is the place for you. If you aren't desperate go elsewhere.

Return to Index › Qingdao Vocational and Technical College of Hotel Management

Go to another board -