TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › constructive communication about EFL
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-12-12
Re constructive communication about EFL

And if those "rubbish schools" were unable to hire them due to more stringent regulations on who qualifies for a work visa given for teaching, those schools would be unable to hire idiots and have to spend the money getting good, qualified teachers who wouldn't put up with the sub-standard teaching practices that tourist-teachers do because they don't know any better or care to. The truly bad schools would go out of business pretty quickly and the good schools would flourish.

But we all know you are biased and refuse to look at it from any other viewpoint, so I will not get in to it again with you Turnoi. Like I said in a different thread... If you're going to make a big fuss about leaving, returning a few days later under different names really rather undermines your 'grand' exit. Especially using so many new aliases!

#2 Parent Scatter Boom - 2014-12-12

It's the rubbish schools that employ them. And not only in China. It's all a big scam.

And I still say if China were to be more stringent on those they employed to teach, standards would be a lot better due to the fact decent teachers wouldn't stand for sub standard teaching practices.
#3 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-11

Those "dickheads" as you name them, are probably on tourist visas because they have been screwed over by the chinese employer at some point. But yes, generally I agree, china is going downhill. After this morning, I NEVER EVER want to go back there. Good luck there though, nowt personal.

If you don't have a Z visa; you can't get one, maybe because you don't have a degree, how else do you get to China? It's the "dickheads" who stay behind on the dole I would have thought deserve that learned title. It maybe slightly chancy, but unless you're a big girl's blouse you'll take that chance.

[edited]

#4 Parent Beth - 2014-12-11

Everything ok? What happened this morning?

And I still say if China were to be more stringent on those they employed to teach, standards would be a lot better due to the fact decent teachers wouldn't stand for sub standard teaching practices.

#5 Parent Rob - 2014-12-11

Those "dickheads" as you name them, are probably on tourist visas because they have been screwed over by the chinese employer at some point. But yes, generally I agree, china is going downhill. After this morning, I NEVER EVER want to go back there. Good luck there though, nowt personal.

#6 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-12-10

In many other cities, it is still really easy.

Not to mention that there's all those dickheads on tourist visas and shit.

#7 Parent Rob - 2014-12-10

Any old useless twat (or young for that matter) can get a teaching job in China these days,

Providing you can get a visa, which proves to be an uphill struggle imho since beijing 2008.

#8 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-09

You could argue that the site is a bit of a mess because the industry is also a bit of a mess. Any old useless twat (or young for that matter) can get a teaching job in China these days, meaning that you can't always expect a decent level of discussion on these boards or even those hosted by a competing site.

You have to bear in mind that most FT's don't go anywhere near ESL forums. So what is peculiar about those of us who do? For example, on this forum we only hear about those who don't like Chinese schools, et cetera; and to a slightly lesser degree those that feel grieved because their TC came under attack.

It's all a bit subjective, what's good or bad discussion, don't you think?

#9 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-12-09

It's the same for many other sites these days and maybe a symptom of people spending increasingly large amounts of their time on-line. Even if people actually get outside and do stuff, they're only ever a few swipes of a smartphone screen away from whatever site that they prefer to post on.

For a long time, I have felt like I can't take this site too seriously either. However, the same shit applies to Facebook, certain groups on Wechat etc.

You could argue that the site is a bit of a mess because the industry is also a bit of a mess. Any old useless twat (or young for that matter) can get a teaching job in China these days, meaning that you can't always expect a decent level of discussion on these boards or even those hosted by a competing site.

#10 Parent Beth - 2014-12-09

It's never been my intention, I have tried several times to start productive discussions abut teaching practices (as opposed to threads about the services offered by Vietnamese prostitutes!) and have had them derailed within 5 posts by the three amigos. Hopefully without them here more helpful discussions can be had.

Over the next few days I will be posting some new threads regarding the following topics:

YL teaching.
Teen teaching techniques.
Classroom management.
Exam preparation tips (ESOL and IELTS)
Cambridge speaking exam tips (from somebody who grades them)
Tips for looking for a good school in Asia and elsewhere.

martin hainan - 2014-12-09
constructive communication about EFL

Intentionally or not, the discussion portion of this site has become too difficult to navigate if a reader wishes to acquire EFL information about China.
I'm told that this is often the intent of 'trolls', domestic and foreign.
It's unfortunate that what was once a valuable resource for foreign teachers in China has been compromised.

Return to Index › constructive communication about EFL

Go to another board -