TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › An opportunity worth seizing...
#1 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-18
Re An opportunity worth seizing...

I often wanted to hurl a pc monitor through a window incredible hulk style when google images results were censored and you would get the 404 screen of death repeatedly and the same with gmail. It got so bad I switched to a different email provider that worked much faster and stabler.

#2 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-18

will look into that one. I had trouble getting astrill to work on tablet in China, but worked awesomely on my old laptop.

#3 Parent Beth - 2014-12-17

I only used a VPN to access FB and YT. It was fine fir everything else. Google is pointless in China as all the results are doctored

#4 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-12-17

Just use a VPN on your mobile device then. It ain't that difficult, lol. Some service providers even provide apps to make things a little easier, although merely tweaking the network settings on your device will do the job perfectly fine.

#5 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-17

When most users in China use a VPN?

Very sad to have to live in a country where you need a free or paid for service to get online. HK and Macau internet is the real internet, I always thought the free wifi in mcdonalds in China was useless, as you could not use google successfully with it, and no way of getting to facebook on your smartphone/tablet.

#6 Parent Beth - 2014-12-16

if you try to force it artificially through the use of wumao tactics (such as those that Beth uses),
Exactly what tactics are those?! Starting threads about actual teaching practices?! Oh wow....
#7 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-12-16

When most users in China use a VPN? :D Besides, some of us do travel quite a bit you know?

It's all well and good trying to gently guide the site in the direction of serious discussion, but if you try to force it artificially through the use of wumao tactics (such as those that Beth uses), you'll get the complete opposite of the intended effect.

#8 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-16

So that pretty much means that you want to turn it into yet another shitty ESL site full of job ads for crappy training centres and rather amateurishly made conversation lesson plans for teachers that are too lazy or hungover to make their own?

I do not think she intends or means that per se. She just wants a bit more serious discussion about teaching methodology and so on, as opposed to enquiring about bargain basement prices for vietnamese hookers. It is an esl teaching board after all, not craigslist or worldsexguide.

I don't think that will be happening :D.

Perhaps this board should have eslcafe style moderation. At least the mods would know who is posting and from what IP. Allow only one handle per IP, it would eliminate a lot of problems that are present now such as one person being able to post with many different nicknames. But that is up to the mods ultimately.

#9 Parent Uwant Tono - 2014-12-14

Why did Turnoi leave? Was he and others forced out and off this board? Has this board new owners and operators tryiing to sanitize the corruption that we know exists within the ESL industry in China? I have been teaching in China almost 10 years now, so I think I have some experience on the problems encountered here in China. The industry is rotten to the core and the few good Chinese companies that exist in the industry are the exception that prove the rule. Let the fresh air of free expression purify the noxious odours of corruption, graft and greed.

#10 Parent Beth - 2014-12-13

No, I'd like to see it as a site where teachers can discuss teaching practice and exchange tips and ideas. This is especially helpful for new teachers who are thrown in at the deep end, often unqualified and inexperienced, in a school somewhere in Asia.

The only reason you are in opposition to this is because we all know you have nothing constructive or helpful to add past your tagline of "All TCs are rubbish, crappy scams!" - Which is neither true nor helpful to anyone.

I'm beginning to understand that the term "GW" is applied to somebody who cares about thier work and students, always does thier best for thier students and is continually researching and developing new ideas for different classroom activities. In which case I really don't object to this moniker. If you are applying it to somebody who does anything to appease their boss, then applying it to me is ridiculous as nothing could be further from the truth. My priority is my students education, not towing whatever party line the management has. The thing is, as you'd be aware of if you were as dedicated a teacher as I am, if your priority is your students, you're boss is usually very happy with the situation. If they aren't concerned with education, only profits, then as several posters here can attest to, I have been the very opposite of groveling; having stand up shouting matches with the "DoS" over their abhorrent practices, and continuing to teach in the way best for my students, regardless of how difficult that made my life outside of the classroom. You call me a "GW" because you operate under the fallacy that I support all TCs, everywhere in th world. I don't, I never have. You ignore this because you are a troll.

You have been given the opportunity to have an actual discussion on teaching methodology in the past and have either been unable to keep up or have resorted to insults and off topic vulgarity. Another reason you want to keep the board in the gutter.

The only teachers who would require conversation lesson plans because they are too lazy or hungover to make thier own is SM&SB, the rest of us take more pride in our work and teach more than just conversation. And so no, lesson plan swapping is not what I am suggesting, open discussion regarding teaching strategies is. At no point have I mentionedadvertising. Bad schools deserve all they get and should be closed. That is not to say I agree that all private schools are bad. You're incomprehension of this simple fact is astounding.

#11 Parent Beth - 2014-12-12

It may be entertaining, but it is also utterly unhelpful!

Actual ESL teaching discussions would be much more helpful and hopefully entertaining in a more constructive way!

#12 Parent John O'Shei - 2014-12-12

So that pretty much means that you want to turn it into yet another shitty ESL site full of job ads for crappy training centres and rather amateurishly made conversation lesson plans for teachers that are too lazy or hungover to make their own?

I don't think that will be happening :D.

We all know that you are just another GW.

Don't ever think that because that because decent posters often have better things to do like going to the pub and talking to real people (or indeed banging hookers), that we'll all of a sudden start to go easy on the GW's and TC lackeys.

#13 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-12

It will be difficult to turn this board.

The constant ranting has been pretty entertaining.

Well, which way would you like to turn it? I am really not to be difficult but from what I've seen of other sensible forums is when you look at their last posts and look at the date, that could be 2012 or earlier possibly. No I didn't agree with Turnoi about anything and he wouldn't thank me for my support, but in my opinion he was totally essential. The more serious helpful stuff can slip in comfortably and sometimes uncomfortably between the rants. That has always been my opinion. That's unless you think(along with others) that you'll be posting consistently over a goodly period. Yes the entertaining bit has got to be there.

#14 Parent Mike - 2014-12-12

It will be difficult to turn this board.

The constant ranting has been pretty entertaining.

>:(

Beth - 2014-12-12
An opportunity worth seizing...

With the (apparent) departure of Turnoi and the (apparent) hiatus of Silverboy & SanMigs, we have a wonderful opportunity to make this board a constructive, helpful place... Focused on helping teachers and discussing actual classroom issues. We can make this board a place to share teaching tips and strategies without having to listen to the same, tired, irrational and unhelpful rhetoric or inappropriate discussions about sex with students and/or prostitutes.

But we can only have this if all of those who read this board (who don't post often due to the insults that get flung thier way from the troll troupe) start using it as such. Start threads about questions you have about teaching, share methods that work well for you.

Let's make this a productive board for teachers, not the negative board for trolls and wannabes that it has been.

Return to Index › An opportunity worth seizing...

Go to another board -