TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › What's the point? - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-04-23
Nice observations. I've seen this myself. - Teachers discussion

I've thought many times about those issues you've noted in your post. Back in the west, especially in the USA, I often hear about how "cool" it would be to go to a place like India, China, or Thailand and "help" the misfortunate of the world. Of course, it's all talk and no walk. Nothing changes.

A great armchair story is told by those who want to come live the life of a monk in a monestery somewhere in Asia. Folks who say this are themselves burned out on their 'hard' lives, but always seem to be well-fed, well-clothed, and well-sheltered. After coming to one part of Asia myself and seeing what it's really like, I'm glad they don't leave their pampered lives. This is because these wanna-bes wouldn't last two days in a monestery. Monesteries are some of the dirtiest places around, and sex perversions abound.

Same thing goes for those who want to 'eat like they do in Asia.' Well, the food a granola type finds in a "new-age" food store back in the USA is far different from the food one finds here. Sure, Asians avoid refined sugars and processed (canned) foods, which is admirable. But Asians, especially those in the south, are some of the most unhealthy folks on earth. This is because of exactly what you mentioned in your post....they don't get enough protein, aminos, minerals, or enzymes in their diets.

And your observations don't just apply to Asia. People in the USA, yeah, the good ol' USA, have the most unhealthy eating habits you'll find anywhere. Is it any surprise there has been an explosion in obesity? Not to me. I know what the average Joe Schmuck, USA is eating. Refined sugar, which robs his body of enzymes and glycogen, and may even cause depression and crime. Saturated fats, which cause heart disease. Processed foods, which have little or no enzymes. And food grown in substandard soil because it's the most efficient (profitable) way of supplying food to suburbia and urbia.

You better believe I'd like to be in the driver's seat. I'd LOVE to be in the driver's seat. But only if I could live to be 200. I'd start with "true" birth control measures, and then get people off harmful foods and back on eating herbs. The great herbs book by Paul Twitchell called "Herbs: the magic healers" would be my bible.

#2 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-22
Think globally, act locally...... - Teachers discussion

Reading what Robin and especially what Rheno have to say, makes me think of that modern proverb, above.
For Rheno, I guess if you want to make a difference, could you at home? Could you be a school teacher for native American kids? I worked with one guy that was also 25% Cherokee, 25% French, and 50% African descent. He was never really interested in teaching in the SW US. He had a lot to offer, too.
As far as capitalism goes, its not the money thats the problem, its the abuse of it, and the social factors and behaviors--greed, lust, etc.--that go with it.
Without money being properly spent, not much changes in places that have what we consider to be sub-standard living conditions. It takes money to hire the teacher to teach the students to be functional in the business world, to gain the capital needed to elevate the standard of living of their homes. Good examples of that are China of the last two generations, North Korea now, RO Mongolia recently, the Phillipines, Nasser's Nationalist Egypt, most of Africa.
Civic, state and the fed govs just seem to be behemouths, and nothing can stop them in their paths. But a lot of us go work for them anyway, just to try to do whatever we can from within. Teachers, social workers, nurses, etc., work for the man because we think we can brings changes--or something good--and not to the system, but to the people we work for. Like Robin said, if have have an attitude that we work for the student, client, patient, recipient of our services, and not for the administration, we feel alot better about it.
Sweat shops are a tough thing, philsophically, to handle. On the one hand, its a messed up way to treat humans. On the other hand, its an option. For so many of these kids, its not prostitution. And it is money for the family. Of course, a lot of that money is squandered by their loser dads on booze and prostitution! But thats a thread in another forum.
What most of us dont realise, or fail to remember at most critical times, is that we're all embassadors and representatives of our countries and of other ways of doing things, whether we want to be or not. The people around us--students, neighbors, friends, people at the bus stop, where ever--get so much more from us as examples than what we offer in the classroom. We need to be careful what we give them and what we leave behind when we leave.

#3 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-22
Reno Join em. That's my suggestion. - Teachers discussion

I know what is bugging you now.

I've started several small businesses over the years and never abused one employee. I always paid more ($8-10) than minimum wage and never asked a worker to do what I would not myself, as in dangerous work. I also pay cash every day and that is very motivating for most. Does this make all workers happy? No, I still had complainers even at $10/hr for unskilled workers.

The best way to deal with capitalism is to humanize it and run the show your way. Want to try with you in the drivers seat?

Helping people in poor countries is a learning process.
1. Some are brain damaged from lack of protein as children. Fetal alcohol syndrome too.
2. Lack of education means that even if you ask them how they want to be helped they often have no idea or think in the very short term or only of their own family.
3. Stick-to-it mentality. Some don't have this. What are the solutions?
4.People have starved to death in famine area, even in UN camps, because they were give strange food in aid and would not eat it.
5.In Bengaldesh locals will not pick up their drowned neighbours because they are unclean.

These are just a few things I jotted down. Anyway, helping others is no simple matter but helping nature is, by protecting land.

#4 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-04-22
I was wrong about my real role, ultimately - Teachers discussion

Ultimately, I was wrong about my 'real' role here.

I decided to do this because I hate capitalism and how it destroys everything in its path, including people. These days, at least in the USA, business is more important than people. Maybe this is just another 'stage' the US economy is going through. After all, other periods of US history have been marked by the capialist class bending over the workers. But in this particular stage, I don't read about it in the history books. I'm living it. This, coupled with the fact that I'm 25% honery Cherokee indian and I saw my parents economically raped while I was growing up, has made me abhore the idea of private ownership of capital.

I also 'walk the walk', or 'put my money where my mouth is', when faced with any problem. To solve the 'capitalist' problem, I decided I would go overseas and teach English in a third world country that often gets the shit end of the stick from US masters. One such country is Thailand. If I came to Thailand and got some of its young people off the ground with enough English, they may be able to give these leeches the middle finger salute and keep themselves out of the sweatshops of Nike, Gap, whatever.

But, my students don't seem to see the world like I do. The incredible power of being able to say 'NO' to soul-less, exploitative masters who see people as mere labor resources goes unappreciated here.

I guess I'll have to find another way to help put out the raging fire of this latest capitalist wave.
I sure wish the old Soviet Union, or something like it, would return.

#5 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-22
Reno and Frank: You'll Feel better - Teachers discussion

Reno & Frank: you will feel better later. I have never seen you this down.
I never think I can change the whole show..that is a dead end, anywhere. Sometimes my 2 responsive students get me through the week. I never think of the admin as my real employers. They don't care about education. The kids who want to learn are why I keep doing it. When the place gets too sour I move on at the end of the contract. I move on a lot and invest my earnings. It is better for them and better for me. Surprisingly, very surprisingly, I agree with Raoul (who is Hemmingway). I am in China for the China experience. I was in Korea for the Korea experience. I have met really interesting and friendly guys at bars in Japan on short jaunts and also angry old men (zenophobes left over from WW2). I've been able to travel all over Asia, sometimes with my funny and trustworthy friend from Nova Scotia. The school is just a small part of what I want to learn and share.
ESL salaries are nothing special by western standards but I think I live well (single) and invest a lot in two countries. Been able to land jobs at colleges and universities and the work load is smaller here. Finally I hate cold and snow, so like a summer bird am glad to flee the north. Can a person have a family with this salary? No, not on one income, even with the rent-free apt.

#6 Parent Ted Hamill - 2006-04-19
Kind of like comparing apples to oranges. - Teachers discussion

Oh and I wasn't referring to your post in particular with "your", I was referring to this forum in general. I kind of like it. It's a little over the top.

#7 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-04-19
Reasons to Be - Teachers discussion

Indeed, it's that potential that keeps you vertical. Teaching English abroad could and should be the coolest job on earth. Should let one make a few honest bucks, too.

I'm here for the country, not the job. I take my work seriously enough, but it's definitely not the reason I'm here.

#8 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-04-19
I may be here another year...... - Teachers discussion

I may be here another year....or even longer.
This is because, as I said in my post, I'm waiting on my fiance's special visa to come through. That may take forfuckingever here in Thailand. May take a year.

TESOL has great potential. My cert program, although too expensive for the type of students you will see in TESOL, was a bright beacon. If a few "adjustments" are made, the entire industry can realize that protential.

You can check out some of my other posts at www.tesall.com I'm sure you'll like 'em.

I'll look for you on the plane.

#9 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-19
Well said. - Teachers discussion

Well said. Thanks for reminding me about a few things.
(I guess I've come to expect pests and vermin where ever I live! They just seem to be pets after a while. I've had a cat a couple of times, and that really helps. The problem is finding a decent home for the cat when I eventually move on.)

#10 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-19
I'm with you. - Teachers discussion

I might be sitting next to you on the plane.
I've been visiting this board for the last three weeks or so, and recall reading your messages several times, although right now I don't recall exactly if I always agreed or disagreed, but I do know I've always enjoyed and appreciated what you had to say.
You're right about all the BS from so many different directions, even from folks that we thought we could always trust and rely on. Something happens to us, somehow we fall into some trap. We're paying close attention to all the games we're aware of, and along comes a new one we didn't see coming, from somebody we've trusted.
Too many excuses, too much microscopic inspection of us, being let down far too often with even the simplest of things by so many people.
So often, as many of the posters have pointed out, teachers are hired, lured by promises of great apts, food, fun, etc., and they get burned. Understandably, people get ticked off. Other times the people advertising their jobs are actually being honest: to them the apts they have available, the pay, all the circumstances with the job they are offering are great! It might look like a poohole to us, but its quite nice compared to the poohole they live in. The 4 or 5 or 6000Y we get each month is better than what MA or PHD holders get in Chinese unis. And if we have a job in a learning center, it can go up to 9.
Maybe we should think of it as hazard pay, for putting up with all the BS thats doled out.
Sorry, a bit divergent there.
What you said about people telling you you dont know what you're talking about, but never coming near a classroom themselves rings truest and loudest. But unfortunately, we'll all find that at home too.
Hang in there, man. I personally will go back and reread what you've posted the last few months.
What is that modern proverb? "This too shall pass."

#11 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-04-19
Or, I could... - Teachers discussion

> I'm sure whatever I may write here will be taken as too general and
> sweeping by some, and too specific and finger pointing by others. But
> thats where we live in life, those general areas that define decency,
> and when we stray from there, fingers point at us.
> Japan is a racist society? Is that news?
> As a black guy, what do you do about that? Do you not teach there? Or
> do you take whatever job that may be offered to you, and convince
> them there's no point in being racist? Is there another option? Write
> articles for publication about the problem?
> Organise demonstrations? Petition organistions that support racism in Japan?

There's another option, which you hinted at yourself. I could put things in perspective, and realize racism exists everywhere, and just get on with it. That is my philosophy. I believe life is too short, to let discrimination or racism get in the way of enjoyment of life.

I was actually trying to defend Japan from a slur that I thought was much too sweeping, and untrue. I stated my reasons for doing so, quite clearly in my last post. Here's my point. From first-hand experience I believe that racism against non-whites in China is greatly exaggerated, and I suspect that this is the case too in Japan.

I'm agreeing with you to a certain extent Frank. I think some people are too negative on forums like this and blow things out of proportion, so putting off others from taking the opportunity of a good teaching experience in Asia.

Yes there is a degree of racism in China, but I don't find it any worse than what I found back home in my country of birth, England, and nor do I find that blacks are treated a great deal worse than whites, if at all. A non-white can enjoy as good a life as anybody here in Asia. Your treatment here doesn't depend primarily on your skin colour or race, it depends on your attitude and the way you carry yourself.

> Asia is such a tough place for any non-white to teach, or to work, or
> to live, or to socialize, in any field. Will it ever get better?
> Probably not any time soon, would be my guess, considering world
> history.

I still believe the difference in difficulty for whites, or non-whites is minimal. BOTH groups find it tough at times. At the same time life is enjoyable here too.

> If anybody ever finds a place to live--other than the arctic
> regions--that doesn't have roaches, rats, racism, violence, disease,
> deception, dishonesty, war, let the rest of us know.

I'm with you on this one Frank, but just because roaches and rats can be found world-wide it doesn't mean that I or anybody else has to accept accommodation that is substandard or infested with such. If some people are happy living amongst vermin, power to them, but I will never accept it, wherever I work.

By all means let's tell our fellow FTs of the good AND bad out here so that they can come as prepared as possible, but let's not exaggerate and blow things out of proportion to the point of scaring people out of the enjoyment of teaching in Asia, whatever their colour or background!

#12 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-04-19
I'm out. You can have it all.

Let's see. China is a 'poohole' place for teachers, and teaching there is a 'poohole' profession.

I KNOW what Thailand is like--teachers are forced to babysit, entertain, and pass cheating illiterates to keep smiles on their faces and the tuition money pouring in. English be damned. Teaching be damned.

In South Korea I find mainly unruly brats who have been dumped on me an hour a day to get them out of their parents' hair. I didn't get into TESOL to read Curious George or Dr. Seuss to a bunch of bored Koreans.

In all three places, I'm expected to play several non-teaching roles that show me this TESOL business is indeed all about business and has very little to do with education. I'm a patsy, a scapegoat, a billboard, a clown, and a janitor all rolled up into one. A teacher I'm not. The one role I WANTED to play in Asia I can't play, simply because TESOL is really a racket and I'm forced to play these other roles.

So.....I'm out.

As soon as my contract is up and my fiance gets her US fiance visa, I'm on a plane outta here.
I'm sick of this bullshit. I'm sick of my roles. I'm sick of all the website trolls telling me I don't know what I'm talking about while they themselves don't come near a classroom. I'm sick of all the weasels who try to sucker people into this TESOL baloney with glowing descriptions of it being a "great job". I'm sick of hearing, and reading, all the bullshit arguments the interested types use to lure young, naive types into this, such as 'your money will go farther in xxxx'. I'm sick of my puny bank balance after scrounging, saving, and living like a hermit for two years as I pay the same prices for shit I'd have paid back at a Wal-Mart in the US.

And on top of it all, I'm only making a group of third world laborers more "functional" in the sweatshops.

No thank you.

Yeap, you guys can have it. F*** it all, I say.

#13 Parent Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC - 2006-04-18
Why the defense? - Teachers discussion

First of all, I think Hemingway is about 140% on the money here.

I do agree with Mr. Andrews insofar as to say that our being dishonest and unprofessional is indeed not a justifiable or desirable response to the conditions we meet in China.

Beyond that, the big remaining mystery for me is, who exactly is Mr. Andrews defending with all this stuff? The crooked weasel school owners? The amusing-if-they-weren't-so-pathetic schools they run? The social system that allows them to operate the way they do?

The cruel, hard fact is that, at least in China and in its current state, EFL teaching IS a poohole profession.

And it wasn't us, even with our bad apples, who made it that way.

Raoul
Raoul's China Expat Saloon
http://chinateachers.proboards17.com
Nate's China School Review
http://www.chinaschoolreview.com

#14 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-18
Two options - Teachers discussion

I'm sure whatever I may write here will be taken as too general and sweeping by some, and too specific and finger pointing by others. But thats where we live in life, those general areas that define decency, and when we stray from there, fingers point at us.
Japan is a racist society? Is that news?
As a black guy, what do you do about that? Do you not teach there? Or do you take whatever job that may be offered to you, and convince them there's no point in being racist? Is there another option? Write articles for publication about the problem?
Organise demonstrations? Petition organistions that support racism in Japan?
Asia is such a tough place for any non-white to teach, or to work, or to live, or to socialize, in any field. Will it ever get better? Probably not any time soon, would be my guess, considering world history.
If anybody ever finds a place to live--other than the arctic regions--that doesn't have roaches, rats, racism, violence, disease, deception, dishonesty, war, let the rest of us know.

#15 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-04-18
I Feel it is Relevant! - Teachers discussion

You make some good points about whining and irrelevant posts, Frank. But I'd like to explain the relevance of my post, quoted below.

> For all teachers who are not of the white race: keep in mind that
> Japanese women are usually quite racist and will only entertain love
> interest from Caucasians.

>>I heard the same thing said about Chinese women. I'm a black guy, and after spending three and a half years in China, I found it to be completely untrue. I suspect your claim is probably untrue too.

>>Do you base your sweeping statement on personal experience?

The first part was the original post, and the double marked part was my reply.

The intention of my post was not to give a hitchhikers guide, for non-whites to "scoring" in Asia. My intention was to correct what I feel was an erroneous claim that I thought first of all gave an inaccurate, negative impression of nearly all Japanese women, and also cast Japanese society as a whole in a negative light( read for yourself what the original poster claimed above!).

I also thought such a sweeping statement might deny Japan the opportunity of engaging the services of many good teachers of non-caucasian background from contributing to the English education of both Japanese adults and children. By the same token many non-caucasians would miss out on a worthwhile teaching experience in Asia, because of being put of by such a negative and sweeping statement.

When mentioning my experience as a black guy, I wasn't boosting about any alleged success in "scoring" with Asian girls, but just trying to highlight a point, based on experience, that a non-caucasion DOES have a good opportunity to acquire a girlfriend in Asia while living and working here for whatever period of time they choose to, or are able to do so. This desire is both natural and important to many men, especially if they plan on spending a significant amount of time in Asia. So although on the surface my post seemed to not have much to do with EFL, I think it does have relevance.

I think there is a difference between whining, and posts that give teachers opportunities to make informed decisions (like Hemingway mentioned in a good post he made). If a teacher at a school had only told me of the GOOD points about a school (even if they were correct), but he "forgot" to mention the "cockroach infested apartments" and "rat-filled yards", I would not be too pleased. Who would be? Hiding information, such as specifically clear and blatant cases of schools cheating FTs, from those thinking of teaching in Asia, certainly doesn't do anybody any favors. That isn't whining!

#16 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-18
What are you replying to? - Teachers discussion

Which of my posts are you replying to? I've read what you wrote several times, and it doesn't seem related to this thread. I reread what I wrote, and what Hemingway wrote, and again what you wrote (which was Hemingway's assignment to me) and I'm just not tracking. All this talk of sharks and parole and whatever else I'm missing.

#17 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-18
I forgot to mention..... - Teachers discussion

Chengdu, Nanjing, and Chong qing. And RO Mongolia in 1992. And Boyle Heights in the 80's. And the Sudan in 78, Cairo in 76 and 77.
You are exactly right: Suzhou is great. Most of east China is great. That's why so many people pick it out for relocation. That's why you and your wife picked it out. Suzhou is quite nice with its bar street for entertainment; I guess its lost on me, as I prefer caffeine and the newspaper (for what its worth!)and some other forms of entertainment. I guess I'm a bit boring as far as that goes.
I'm really quite sorry you had such a difficult experience at your last position in Huaibei. And so many of the problems that you faced seemed to be propagated out of nothing. Violence certain wasn't necessary, is never necessary.
I also apologize if my tone was condescending and self-righteous. I probably have been too critical of some of the behaviors of some teachers. I suppose by generalizing, I hoped it wouldn't be too condemning, maybe it would be taken differently. I didn't realize I was pointing a finger at you when I wrote; evidently I was.
Evidently I have hit a nerve with some of you. Maybe its time for you to take a good hard look at that nerve and see if it needs some attention. But I'm glad that my writing can still invoke such an emotional response.
(You write well, but the shark bit was a little too much.)

#18 Parent Hemingway - 2006-04-18
Here's the point! - Teachers discussion

Oh come on Frank, get with the program! :D

Some clarifications are in order concerning the inaccuracies of Frank Andrews's response to my review of Huaibei Coal Industry Teachers College.

These inaccuracies stem from a great need, it seems, on his part to generalize and make broad sweeping statements about China, demographically, historically, and environmentally , as well as his great need to be ever-vigilant against any negative points expressed by any foreign teacher on this review board, of which my posting is only a very small part and indeed, if Frank Andrews only requirement to putting up with the program in China is a smoke free 2 hour block of time at Starbucks in Suzhou every Sunday afternoon and it brings him satisfaction, fulfillment, and continues his intriguing interest, then far be it for me to infringe upon his experience.

I think, however, its particularly noteworthy of Mr. Andrews posting, whether intentional or not, that he never really addressed the salient points of why I thought Huaibei Coal Industry Teachers College wasnt suitable for foreign teachers, and instead he preferred to address the
common and universal aspects, though varied , as he failed to note, and by Mr Andrews focusing on these details, he made some erroneous assumptions.

Mr. Andrews, allow me to clarify in the hopes that you will read it all, and therefore be put at ease because admittedly I will not waste my time or effort responding to you again because I am sure intelligent readers and experienced educators can distinguished what is fact and what is merely a sense of immature outrage on your part, which tends to be your modus operandi to any negative reviews here on this board and I do believe your living a year in Suzhou is a point worth noting but I have bigger points to note, Mr Andrews :

1. Mr. Andrews, Huaibei is NOT a large city in Eastern China; rather, it is a small city, and it certainly is a filthy one at thatvisually and otherwise, and my detailed posting presented that.

In larger cities, as you noted, hygiene and poor sanitation tend to be reduced in certain areas of those large cities, particularly those sections where substantial amounts of foreigners frequent. Suzhou does have it share of pollution but in comparison to Huaibei, it isnt even remotely close.

Huaibei is heavily reliant on coal for power and heat, and is not located in an Special Economic Zone, and has very, very few foreigners and no foreign companies

On the other hand, Suzhou has many well-known international companies and employs many Chinese. Since Suzhou has a substantial foreign population, the behavior of its Chinese citizens isnt even close to those whom reside in Huaibei. Most residents of Suzhou are quite comfortable with foreigners, and those whom aren't, do not demonstrate the obnoxiousness of those Huaibei residents.

2. Mr. Andrews then notes that prejudicial behaviors in China is the same all over.

Yes and no.

The degrees which my wife, an Anhui native, and I experienced in Huaibei were significantly greater, incredibly overt and brazen, and uncivilized than in his city of Suzhou.

3. The historical relevance of the Cultural Revolution cannot be disputed, but there are other factors to consider, lack of education, exposure to differences, a woefully propagandized culture.

I think you make an incredibly naive mistake to think you can paint the whole country with the same brush, and particularly the city of your residence, Suzhou.

How do I know all of this about Suzhou?

Well, Suzhou was the very city my wife and I went to live and work after leaving Huaibei!!!!!!!

Ironic isn't it, Mr. Andrews? Too much of a coincidence, uh?

I mean really you can't be serious? Are you? Maybe you were looking for some fresh bait on your trolling maneuvers through the channel of negative school reviews, and my review happened to grease your hook, but I bet you never thought I went to Suzhou!

Read on (er, I mean if your attention span at this point hasn't gotten disrupted by your strong sense of rushing to judgement):

We found the city of Suzhou significantly better and much different, its residents certainly more civilized, and certainly more open-minded as opposed to what we experienced in Huaibei. Though I will certainly agree with Mr. Andrewss description of encountering some Chinese whom if one is scratching the surface just a bit and the tell-tale signs of a turtle-slow emergence are obvious," are there, but this tends to be true, not necessarily with the Chinese residents of Suzhou, but with those Chinese from other towns and cities in the remoter provinces of China whom work and live in Suzhou.

Mr. Andrews, make no mistake, Huaibei doesnt have an substantial expat crowd like you see there in Suzhou, nor does it have a Southern Cross, or a Pulp Fiction, or a Harrys Bar, or a Papa Johns, or a Carrefour, or or Au Chuan, or many public and private English training centers.

If my review caused any frustration or slight to your views of why foreign teachers should be in China and what role they should play in the Chinese scheme of things, or worse, made it less intriguing for you, it wasnt my purpose to do so.

My posting reflects what happened at Huaibei Coal Industry Teachers College, it reflected what to expect living in the city of Huaibei, and it reflected what happened when the assault of September 8th 2005 took place.

We left to go to a much better and much different city, which is the same city where you, Mr Andrews reside.

Anyway, I want future prospective ESL teachers to make an informed decision, and if that one foreigner, disregards my posting as merely going against your agenda of presenting China in such relativistic comparisons, then enjoy that Starbucks coffee while daily perusing, criticizing, judging and responding to foreign teachers school reviews on the ESL Teachers Board, but the later, seems to be your program.

I suggest that next time that you get your facts straight because if you don't, during your negative school review trolling maneuvers, you might hook a shark who is a lot wiser about the waters than you seem to be, and Mr. Andrews a self-righteous, condescending rhetorical tone doesn't make you right. :\

Consideration of other experiences rather than whole-scale condemnation of the poster and his or her posting is a beginning. Also, it wouldn't hurt to read a posting closer rather than rushing to a reaction and posting

As many Chinese students say, "THAT'S ALL. THANK YOU!"

#19 Parent vince - 2006-04-18
i think you're absolutely right - Teachers discussion

i'm a good teacher:
6-years in canada-us, 2 in asia
my degrees are REAL.

vince

#20 Parent Ted Hamill - 2006-04-18
So what? - Teachers discussion

The fact that the "average English teacher overseas" can't understand such a construct has absolutely nothing to do with skill and absolutely everything to do with experience. Considering the fact that no knowledge of foreign culture is instinctive, everything must be learned. Even how to eat must be learned.

We all start out in life at the same level of knowledge and experience. Are you proposing that some teachers are predisposed to be good teachers and others (of presumably lesser intelligence) are by nature relegated to try in asia..and hells, with no hope of parole? That's like claiming someone is inferior because he speaks one language instead of another.

frank andrews - 2006-04-17
What's the point? - Teachers discussion

What's the point in all this, if all "we" can see is how dishonest "they" are, but can't recognize how so many of "us" are playing the same games as "them." Why is it us vs. them, anyway?
Fighting fire with fire, by being just as dishonest and deceitful as the worst of them, just won't work. The info on how to acquire fake degrees, improper visas, etc., seems so sad to my friends and me.
The whining about the conditions, too hot, too cold, slow net access, pig farms nearby, can't socialize enough, have to walk too far, I can't believe. The grass is much greener on our side of the fence. Open your eyes and recognize that.
Slamming a school, organization, person without actual first hand experience (emails on the net AIN'T first hand!) is just is just taking a cheap shot, and pretty second rate.
It seems many of us are treated poorly on an individual basis, and there's probably a reason for it. All of us are treated in ways we don't like at times, and there are reasons for that, too. But that doesn't mean we turn ESL into a ****hole of a profession.
I read about an hour ago how minority men can score just as easily as caucasion men with Korean and Japanese women. I'm sorry, but I must be stupid. Is there something to do with ESL in that thread? Or is this whole forum just a big therapy session?

Return to Index › What's the point? - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -