TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › re: advice for teaching a 6 year old boy
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-12-20
Re re: advice for teaching a 6 year old boy

You need to give me an idea of where he is now, so I know what to send you.

Has he had English lessons before? How long for? Private, state or 1-2-1? Can he read/write?

What vocab groups does he know? What grammar have you covered with him already?

#2 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-20

Thank you.

I have included my teaching e-mail in this post. you may feel free to email me there.

Regards,
s

#3 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-16

Thanks beth and robert will check this out. Have been looking at genki english also, but it seems it is a mostly paid for materials site.

#4 Parent Beth - 2014-12-16

You're most welcome! Happy to have been able to help!

#5 Parent Robert - 2014-12-15

FYI

Starfall program is a very good site, as recommended by Beth.

I have been using this site for about 3 weeks, with my 7 year old Chinese student, he has improved his reading skills immensely.
There are many other programs on this site, besides Phonics, for eg., A B C's, songs, telling the time, days of the week, etc., give it a try.

Thanks Beth, for this help, I owe you one.

#6 Parent Sludge - 2014-12-16

Beth,

Thank you very much,I will check that site out.

Regards,
S

#7 Parent Beth - 2014-12-15

Starfall.com is wonderful for phonics.

I have a EHD full of worksheets and materials for teaching phonics (rwading/speaking/pron) - If you give me an idea of his level, then I am happy to email you some things that would help you.

Also, much as you loathe it, if he is shy try TPR, kids who are shy like to use physical actions as a distraction from the speaking, it gives them something else to focus on and you can have them repeat as much as you like so you can iron out any speech problems. Make the actions a funny (you may even have to pull a few faces to make him loosen up!) and you'll find he comes out of his shell quite quickly, more and more as he trusts you more and more.

Let me know about the worksheets.

Sludge - 2014-12-15
re: advice for teaching a 6 year old boy

Hello all,

I have recently started tutoring a 6 year old HK Chinese boy English, and his parents want me to focus on 50% percent oral english and 50% phonics.

I am racking my brains trying to think of ways to get through to him, as he is very shy at speaking. I can't currently get access to englishbanana.com, so does anyone else have any tips or good leads for free resources/worksheets?

Thanks in Advance,
S

Return to Index › re: advice for teaching a 6 year old boy

Go to another board -