TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Changing careers
#1 Parent yu2fa3 - 2014-12-31
Re Changing careers

At what point did I call you a tourist-teacher?

I said for profit schools tended to attract tourist-teachers.

Hahaha! No you didn't even hint that she could be one of them. However, I would separate the tourist teacher from the likes of the travelling perverted opportunists of which we have a couple who contribute on this site. Now you can't really call these men tourist teachers because they often take year-long contracts in order to get their grubby hands on the local females. Things don't often work out as planned for them, so they try out other Asian countries to see if the women elsewhere are more willing and subservient. I'm not happy to call that type tourists as we tend to think of tourists- {with their cameras, shorts and colourful attire;} more like trawlists I would say; although it's true they do tour for a catch.

Now, some backpackers (and bear in mind many will have degrees and also be teachers at home) I would call tourists. It's been traditional for donkeys years that some of them will stop on their travels and do a bit of teaching or something. The money they get for doing so may be extremely useful for them to extend their time abroad, but it doesn't follow that they will have the same work-shy inconsiderate attitude as the grubby-hands-mob. I have met a couple of these back-packing FT's, and they were popular with the students and really tried to do their level bests for the students. To summarise, I wouldn't call SB, O'Turnoi, tourist teachers at all: although I do realise a case could be made that proper tourist teachers also shouldn't teach.

#2 Parent Beth - 2014-12-30
Re Changing careers

At what point did I call you a tourist-teacher?

I said for profit schools tended to attract tourist-teachers.

#3 Parent zandy - 2014-12-30
Re Changing careers

A tourist teacher!!!!!!!!!! I never venture out of work, even on holidays to travel. I spend my time off on PD, for your information. I work well into mid-night and holidays and spend my weekends in classroom while everyone else is travelling and shopping.

For you info, I have opened up K-12 schools, and trained teachers (IB). I am not a backpacking teacher!!!!!

#4 Parent Beth - 2014-12-30
Re Changing careers

No, a,tourist-teacher is someone who teaches in order to have an extended holiday, not because they want to teach.

Which is you to a tee.

Return to Index › Re Changing careers

Go to another board -