TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re test-prep
#1 Parent Beth - 2015-01-04
Re test-prep

No, I would never say a student was a failure at English. I would say they lacked the all around fluency to pass an English exam that tests fluency skills like reading analysis, listening comprehension and varying writing styles... All skills needed for real world application of a language in employment or further education.

But they lack these skills because they have failures for teachers, teachers who think a 5 minute oral test they make up themselves is sufficient. Teachers who think anagrams or colour psychology are good classroom activities. Because they have conversation teachers, which means they may be able to speak quite well but lack fluency in all other areas.

The student who can't get a good IELTS or CESOL pass is not a failure, their teacher is.

And they are not 'stupid money-making rackets' they are internationally accepted and standardised methods in which to fairly measure a candidates all round fluency in English. Just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it a scam. As for having no real world practical value, considering you have no idea what is required of a student to pass these exams, I fail to see how you can make that claim! You before said you bumped up your pitiful speaking test to a whole 4 minutes from the recommended two? A CAE speaking exam is over 10 minutes long and includes elements of both extended turn speaking, cooperative speaking and detailed analysis and comparison of news items. If the exams I teach have no practical value, the rubbish you do is utterly worthless!

Return to Index › Re test-prep

Go to another board -