TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: I NEED HELP
Jack - 2004-05-15
In response to Re: I NEED HELP (Michael Joseph Beauchot)

His age and race have NOTHING to do with his teaching ability. However, unfortunately, not all countries and schools agree. I am 50 -in South Korea, that eliminates me from some jobs. My wife is Asian - despite her very good English and teaching ability, that eliminates her from some jobs.

The reason that question was asked was so that the responder could help Ryan get a job. Jack, I agree that Ryan's age and race should have NOTHING to do with his getting a job, but, unfortunately, there are schools and countries that use those as exclusive categories.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Mr. Beauchot, for your speedy response to my question
directed to Mr. Li.

May I infer from your response that Mr. Li will likely only be willing/able to assist the person who originally raised the question to find a job if said person is of a "marketable" age and race ie. under 40 and Caucasian? (a job, which, I understand, would violate the laws of most Asian countries since most require foreign teachers of English to hold a university degree as condition of entry into their country. This is, to my knowledge, the case in Japan and Taiwan.)

I'm surprised he wasn't asked the colour of his eyes and hair and how tall he is as well.

To paraphrase your response, I suggest it is likely that, for many. ESL schools in Eastern Asia, a person's teaching ability, present or potential, has NOTHING to do with his/her likelihood of being offered a decent job.

I have two questions. Do you think the students in these countries, who often lay out large sums of money in an attempt to learn English, are aware of the fact that their teachers are often hired based on their physcial appearance rather than their demonstrated teaching abilities?

Do you think they would care if they were aware of it?

Messages In This Thread
I NEED HELP -- Ryan Sak -- 2004-05-14
Re: I NEED HELP -- Barry -- 2004-05-14
Re: I NEED HELP -- li -- 2004-05-14
Re: I NEED HELP -- Jack -- 2004-05-15
Re: I NEED HELP -- Michael Joseph Beauchot -- 2004-05-15
Re: I NEED HELP -- Jack -- 2004-05-15
Re: I NEED HELP -- Mike -- 2004-05-22
Re: I NEED HELP -- Michael Joseph Beauchot -- 2004-05-22
Re: I NEED HELP -- Mike -- 2004-05-23
Re: I NEED HELP -- Michael Joseph Beauchot -- 2004-05-16
Re: I NEED HELP -- Jack -- 2004-05-16