TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Setting tips. Korea
#1 Parent Robin Day - 2004-05-20
Re: Travel/Setting tips. Korea

Oh yes, you should get a hepatitis vaccine before you arrive in Asia (A B C) and bring Pepto Bismol tablets as they are lighter than the liquid formula. There is a lot of diarrhea here in the warm weather(now).
The hep. vaccine costs more than a hundred dollars in Korea. It is sometimes free in some Canadian provinces. Be careful though. Ask the doctor or nurse if it has any human blood proteins. It could carry AIDS or some other virus??? Vaccines have their dangers.

#2 Parent Robin Day - 2004-05-20
Re: Travel/Setting tips. Korea

Read my article on this website: ESL Teacher on the Move.

Read the postings about Korea below. Be wary of managers. They need you to make money for them so you have to keep the kids and their mothers happy. That is the business of it. Bring a positive adaptable attitude. Learn a bit of the language every day. Start with the numbers, days, months, colors, animals etc.

That is good advice from Alan about bringing English software or your laptop. Korean language (hangul) software has caused a lot of headaches. I will add that to my article. Thanks Alan.

Bring coins (1 cent or nickles) from your home country. Kids like to get something international like that.

You can buy almost anything here now. Alcohol and cigarettes are very cheap in Korea so it is almost not worth buying Duty Free at the airport unless you want something special like Scotch or something French.

Seoul gets snow, Busan almost never.

#3 Parent Allan - 2004-05-19
Re: Setting tips. Korea

Bring your laptop, computers in Korea are in Hangul - software and hardware. most Korean electric outlets are 220v. find everywhere trasformers. if you don't have a laptop, no problem, there are internet cafes everywhere. bring pictures of your people, the first months are sometimes difficult to adapt, specially if any of you still looking for a job. if you are coming hired by a school (E2 visa)ask suggestions to one of their ESL teachers, usually they know the basic. travel not to heavy or light.

T&C - 2004-05-19
Setting tips. Korea

What do we (female and male) need to know about teaching ESL in Korea. Should we bring lots of stuff or normal stuff.

Thank You.

Return to Index › Setting tips. Korea

Go to another board -