TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Arrange jobs in advance, or search on your own???
#1 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-09
Re: Arrange jobs in advance, or search on your own???

Taiwan is a very different situation from the mainland.

#2 Parent matt - 2004-06-09

though it may seem a little reckless, i just recently found out that Taiwan is a part of the ROC. I am also very much in the dark about what exactly Taiwan's relationship with Mainland China is. Is Taiwan included in your comments, or are they separate enough (politically) from the mainland to be exempt?

#3 Parent DoS - 2004-06-05

I can say that in China you could probably get a job very easily in nearly any city in the country. HOWEVER, it is more and more likely these days that you would only be able to get an 'illegal' position, where they just extend your visitors visa. This is not an ideal situation.

You used to be able to come in on a visitors visa, and a reputable school could change it to a Z class (working/resident) no problem. Now though, in more and more provinces (though not all) you can't do this. You must get a Z class invitation sent to you first from the school. You certainly can't here in Jiang Xi.

#4 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-06-02

I think - unless you have LOTS of funds - it is not a good idea to just pop into either South Korea or China (and, in China, it would be difficult for other reasons as well) and look for a job. Pre-arrange, but do your research. Talk to as many people as you can - it is the best idea to make contact with foreign teachers because their situation is the closest you will find to your own.

PS Once again, Michael has made a post without a single negative word in it. This is noted for those who think I can't and or won't do so.

Tim - 2004-06-01
Arrange jobs in advance, or search on your own???

I've been reading horror stories of people who've been duped or misled by schools or recruiters, so my question is this:

Is it better to arrange a job pre-departure, OR just pay for your own flight/accom and go to the city you want to teach, and search for jobs on your own?

I'm considering Japan, Taiwan or Europe ... any experiences from 'freelancers'? Can you find teaching jobs in a city where you don't speak the native language? Can you negotiate more money by cutting out the middlemen (recruiters)?

I'm a 25-year-old Canadian, native English speaker with a Bachelor's and a Master's degree (and, since it apparently matters in Asia, caucasian).

Thanks!

PS -- if you prefer, email me at timhughes at hot mail dot com (trying to avoid those spam spiders ...)

Return to Index › Arrange jobs in advance, or search on your own???

Go to another board -