TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › I Need Advice
#1 Parent henry - 2004-06-05
Re: Professor Kraig

My own experience of Spain suggests that you'd be better of actually going there in person. A school is unlikely to hire you without seeing you, especially if you're not European which will mean more paperwork for them to do.

If you turn up on the doorstep when they need a teacher (find out when the school year starts) they might well hire you on a temporary basis because they need a teacher there and then. If you can make yourself indispensible then they might consider taking you on full time.

Of course make sure you have as much money as you can in case you're left without work and needing to get back home!

Henry

Teaching FAQ: http://free-esl.com/teachers/tfaq/default.asp

#2 Parent Gabrielle - 2004-06-03
Professor Kraig

In all honesty, Spain is exactly where we want to move to. My family is originally from Spain and I would love to go back home. Can you help me? Do you know anyone who might be interested in an American? I have tried sending my resume all over Spain without any avail. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,

Gabrielle

#3 Parent professor Kraig (Spain) - 2004-06-02
Re: I Need Advice

Hi Gabrielle,

This content is from Let's Go: Western Europe.

Some schools prefer applicants from within the EU to simplify the work permit process; for this reason, non-EU citizens may have a harder time finding teaching jobs. Many schools require teachers to have a Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate. Not having one does not necessarily exclude you from finding a teaching job, but certified teachers often find higher paying jobs. Native English speakers working in private schools are most often hired for English-immersion classrooms where the local language is not spoken.

Good luck!

Kraig
EU citizen

Gabrielle - 2004-06-02
I Need Advice

I recently graduated with my Masters in Education and have recently decided that I would like to teach overseas. I have not been able to find positions in American or British schools and have considered obtaining my TEFL certificate in order to up my ante in the hiring process. I cannot afford doing a 4 week long intensive course but have considered doing the TEFL Corporations online/onsite program. My questions are the following: Do I even need an TEFL certificate if I have a Masters in Education? If so, does anyone know if the TEFL Corporation is a decent place to obtain the certification? How hard is it to find jobs in Western Europe?

Return to Index › I Need Advice

Go to another board -