TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › getting a tefl certificate
#1 Parent Brian - 2004-06-10
Re: getting a tefl certificate

Beware of totally online courses. Online is fine if it covers those areas that are best served by distance learning pedagogy. But as you want to get into the classroom face to face you should train at least partly face to face. I would personally recommend TESOL. Check out this site in the UK for more info, especially the CERT (TESOL) it will inform you of what's expected even though you live in Canada: http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=tesol_certificate.home

Regards

Brian (Finland)

#2 Parent henry - 2004-06-05

Partly it depends on where you want to teach. If you're interested in a full blown career then a CELTA is probably the best option but it doesn't come cheap. If you'd just like try for a year, get your feet wet so to speak, then a less intense course - even online - will be the choice and they're much cheaper.

Henry

#3 Parent Tim - 2004-06-04

Hi John -- I'm from Vancouver. I know only of Vancouver Community College which offers an on-line TESOL course for about $1500 Cdn. Go to www.vcc.bc.ca and check it out. By the way TESOL and CELTA are the only internationally recognized courses for teachers, which is why they're a little pricy...
Good luck.

john - 2004-06-03
getting a tefl certificate

Hey,
Im a 19-year-old from Halifax, Canada and Im going to Japan next year. I hope to get a job teaching English and I know Im not qualified. Does anyone know the best way for me to get a TEFL certificate? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Index › getting a tefl certificate

Go to another board -