TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › CHINA: to teach in Shanghai or Shenzhen?
#1 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29
Re CHINA: to teach in Shanghai or Shenzhen?

Appearing to half expect poverty or homelessness, what a great advertisement for teaching in China... :D

That 'school' sounds more like a dodgy agent, and you'll be most likely sent to the far out rural suburbs of either city. Not knowing Chinese there really will be painful, especially as your agent will be milking your white face for all it is worth and you'll struggle to escape from it.

Basically, just don't even bother.

#2 Parent Taffy - 2018-03-29
Re CHINA: to teach in Shanghai or Shenzhen?

Hello everyone! If you have taught in China, maybe you can help. I got hired at a school that has both locations available - Shanghai or Shenzhen, next to HK. I haven't lived in either, but visited HK and Shanghai. I loved HK but it's too expensive, Shenzhen is close, but I simply don't know anyone in either city basically. Where would a wild American move to? Music is my life, I'm very social and don't speak Chinese. I am learning. Now I have to choose, was wondering if any of you had experiences in either city? :) Also, the school is hiring all over the country so any other suggestions would be welcome to.
THANK YOU!
N

Hong Kong can be expensive but where else in China can you survive without a brass farthing to your name? If push comes to shove, you can doss down in the park for free and eat thanks to charity kitchens, again for free. You will also find free shower rooms and free Internet in the public libraries. Visas are not the same sort of problem you can face in the mainland. Also, lots of zi4 ji3 shang4 ke4- that's to say when you rise from (and don't switch on music some FT's like to sleep in) your park bench you can embark on visiting students for money. And this will appeal to a 'wild American.' If you is really wild you can take a loan of beer and whisky in 7/11...but don't tell them you is doing so. Good Luck.

Natalia Pav - 2018-03-29
CHINA: to teach in Shanghai or Shenzhen?

Hello everyone! If you have taught in China, maybe you can help. I got hired at a school that has both locations available - Shanghai or Shenzhen, next to HK. I haven't lived in either, but visited HK and Shanghai. I loved HK but it's too expensive, Shenzhen is close, but I simply don't know anyone in either city basically. Where would a wild American move to? Music is my life, I'm very social and don't speak Chinese. I am learning. Now I have to choose, was wondering if any of you had experiences in either city? :) Also, the school is hiring all over the country so any other suggestions would be welcome to.
THANK YOU!
N

Return to Index › CHINA: to teach in Shanghai or Shenzhen?

Go to another board -