TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Help with my gramma.
#1 Parent Chunping Alex Wu - 2004-08-02
Re: Help with my gramma.

> in response to my own response! :)
> i made a typo when i responded to MY's helpful suggestion about
> foreign teachers going back to their own countries.

> i suggested that My, maybe needs "a" english lesson instead
> of the correct term "an" english lesson.

> i simply don't want to give any fuel to any fire.
> hope that clears up that mistake.

> best

Hi, Rboert:

Thanks for making that correction. Be it a very little typing error, but a very important responsible gesture to the students and us all.

Alex Wu

#2 Parent Sanja - 2004-06-24

Older people usually have better language skills, because educational system was better back then. But most native English speakers nowadays are not very good at spelling and grammar. I'm always surprised to see that even well educated native English speakers make a lot of mistakes and consider themselves bad spellers, while many foreigners speak and write perfect English. (I'm not saying I do...LOL)

#3 Parent DoS - 2004-06-19

What an excellent post Razoo! I am in full agreement.

> Sanja wrote,
> "Native English speakers don't always know the best. Sometimes
> (actually pretty often) non-native speakers have better language
> skills."

> Sanja, over the past three years that I've taught English in Asia
> (Korea and Taiwan), I've gotten the impression that a lot of English
> students in Asia agree with you.

> A few examples:

> One of my students, a Korean businessman, told me after a few sojus,
> "I may know English grammar better than you do." A lot of
> Koreans of his generation studied English grammar in middle and high
> school and at the university, so I could see how he could make such a
> generalization, especially after a few sojus. However, I also studied
> English grammar in middle school and high school (I'm an old guy, and
> they still taught grammar in American schools 'way back when). I also
> studied it in my freshman year at the university. By my junior year,
> I was an English major, so I took an "advanced grammar
> course," in which they had us diagramming sentences and using a
> textbook which had first been published in the 1930s. I forget the
> name of the book, but I called it "The Blue Nazi" because
> of its plain, blue cover and because of its rigor. In its youth, my
> university had been a teacher's college, so its English department
> focused on grammar. In the graduate school of that university, we
> took a course called "Grammar for Teachers." I guess this
> was just in case "The Blue Nazi" wasn't enough. Then, I was
> hired as a proofreading assistant by the Graduate College. For
> several semesters, I proofread the submitted theses and
> dissertations. I didn't write proofreader's marks on the theses
> themselves; the Dean made me write corrections and explanations on a
> separate form, citing the page, paragraph, and line number of the
> mistake. In that gig, I resorted to and often cited the Harbrace (an
> American grammar and writing manual), the American Psychological
> Association's style manual (for social sciences theses), the American
> Chemical Society's style manual (for chemistry theses and pharmacy
> dissertations), the Chicago Manual of Style, and maybe some others (I
> forget). But for grammar, I mainly used and cited the Harbrace. I was
> also a teaching assistant for three semesters. And after I got my
> Master's, I came back and taught a couple more semesters. So, while
> anything is possible, I think that my Korean student's assertion was
> mistaken.

> Here in Taiwan, during the SARS epidemic, one of my Taiwanese
> colleagues asked me whether the face masks that people were wearing
> for protection should be called masks or muzzles. I replied slowly
> and in a loud, clear voice, "'Muzzle' is for dogs." She
> responded, "I think it should be 'muzzle.'" I smiled and
> let it go at that. (Why make trouble?)

> Once I was listening to a tape that accompanied an English textbook
> published here in Taiwan. A new foreign teacher was with me. The
> voice on the tape was that of a native speaker, and she occasionally
> used English of a kind that a native speaker wouldn't use. The new
> teacher asked me why, and I told him, "Because she's reading
> what's written in the script." He then asked me why the native
> speaker didn't correct what was in the script, and I replied,
> "Because she wants the job and doesn't want to get in trouble
> with her boss."

> My former boss here in Taiwan wanted me to write a mock political
> debate for the kids to do at the Christmas program. The debate was
> between fictional mayoral candidates. In the text of the debate, I
> used the word "improvements," a term often used to mean
> fixing up streets, sewage lines, etc. My boss read the draft of the
> debate and asked me, "Isn't 'improvements' an uncountable
> noun?" I replied that I supposed that it usually is, but not in
> this case. A few days later at a teacher's meeting, she told the
> faculty that she had looked the word up in an EFL book, and I was
> wrong. Later, I showed her examples of "improvements" in
> the big Webster's unabridged dictionary that's available online, and
> she very reluctantly retreated from her earlier position. She didn't
> mention her new opinion at the next teacher's meeting, though :-)

> At that same school, I was teaching a class of ten-year-olds, and I
> happened to use the word "cook" in a sentence as a noun,
> denoting a person who cooks. One of the students said something to
> the Chinese teacher in Chinese. She told me that he didn't understand
> how I could use "cook" that way, that it should be
> "cooker." I explained that I knew that it seemed odd, that
> English was a funny language, etc. But he wasn't convinced. And not
> only was he unconvinced, but the Chinese teacher was very skeptical
> as well. She looked at me very seriously and asked, "Are you
> sure?" I then left the class, got a dictionary, brought it back
> in, and showed the teacher the entry "cook." That settled
> the matter (I guess).

> I can't cite too many other examples because I'm old and, fortunately
> for me in this case, my memory is starting to fail. But it's happened
> a lot. Many of the students I've had in Asia have exhibited a belief
> that they know English better than I do. I've come to accept that
> now.

> Who knows, maybe some of them do know English better than I do. I'm
> beginning to wonder whether it matters. As an international language,
> English may be on its way to a destination I can't even imagine.
> Anyway, maybe Hamlet was right in saying, "There is nothing
> either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

#4 Parent DoS - 2004-06-19

What sort of car?

> Pleaseeeeeeeeeee help. I have quiz next week.

> I goint to buy a car and I will buy a car.

> Thank you.

#5 Parent razoo - 2004-06-06

Sanja wrote,
"Native English speakers don't always know the best. Sometimes (actually pretty often) non-native speakers have better language skills."

Sanja, over the past three years that I've taught English in Asia (Korea and Taiwan), I've gotten the impression that a lot of English students in Asia agree with you.

A few examples:

One of my students, a Korean businessman, told me after a few sojus, "I may know English grammar better than you do." A lot of Koreans of his generation studied English grammar in middle and high school and at the university, so I could see how he could make such a generalization, especially after a few sojus. However, I also studied English grammar in middle school and high school (I'm an old guy, and they still taught grammar in American schools 'way back when). I also studied it in my freshman year at the university. By my junior year, I was an English major, so I took an "advanced grammar course," in which they had us diagramming sentences and using a textbook which had first been published in the 1930s. I forget the name of the book, but I called it "The Blue Nazi" because of its plain, blue cover and because of its rigor. In its youth, my university had been a teacher's college, so its English department focused on grammar. In the graduate school of that university, we took a course called "Grammar for Teachers." I guess this was just in case "The Blue Nazi" wasn't enough. Then, I was hired as a proofreading assistant by the Graduate College. For several semesters, I proofread the submitted theses and dissertations. I didn't write proofreader's marks on the theses themselves; the Dean made me write corrections and explanations on a separate form, citing the page, paragraph, and line number of the mistake. In that gig, I resorted to and often cited the Harbrace (an American grammar and writing manual), the American Psychological Association's style manual (for social sciences theses), the American Chemical Society's style manual (for chemistry theses and pharmacy dissertations), the Chicago Manual of Style, and maybe some others (I forget). But for grammar, I mainly used and cited the Harbrace. I was also a teaching assistant for three semesters. And after I got my Master's, I came back and taught a couple more semesters. So, while anything is possible, I think that my Korean student's assertion was mistaken.

Here in Taiwan, during the SARS epidemic, one of my Taiwanese colleagues asked me whether the face masks that people were wearing for protection should be called masks or muzzles. I replied slowly and in a loud, clear voice, "'Muzzle' is for dogs." She responded, "I think it should be 'muzzle.'" I smiled and let it go at that. (Why make trouble?)

Once I was listening to a tape that accompanied an English textbook published here in Taiwan. A new foreign teacher was with me. The voice on the tape was that of a native speaker, and she occasionally used English of a kind that a native speaker wouldn't use. The new teacher asked me why, and I told him, "Because she's reading what's written in the script." He then asked me why the native speaker didn't correct what was in the script, and I replied, "Because she wants the job and doesn't want to get in trouble with her boss."

My former boss here in Taiwan wanted me to write a mock political debate for the kids to do at the Christmas program. The debate was between fictional mayoral candidates. In the text of the debate, I used the word "improvements," a term often used to mean fixing up streets, sewage lines, etc. My boss read the draft of the debate and asked me, "Isn't 'improvements' an uncountable noun?" I replied that I supposed that it usually is, but not in this case. A few days later at a teacher's meeting, she told the faculty that she had looked the word up in an EFL book, and I was wrong. Later, I showed her examples of "improvements" in the big Webster's unabridged dictionary that's available online, and she very reluctantly retreated from her earlier position. She didn't mention her new opinion at the next teacher's meeting, though :-)

At that same school, I was teaching a class of ten-year-olds, and I happened to use the word "cook" in a sentence as a noun, denoting a person who cooks. One of the students said something to the Chinese teacher in Chinese. She told me that he didn't understand how I could use "cook" that way, that it should be "cooker." I explained that I knew that it seemed odd, that English was a funny language, etc. But he wasn't convinced. And not only was he unconvinced, but the Chinese teacher was very skeptical as well. She looked at me very seriously and asked, "Are you sure?" I then left the class, got a dictionary, brought it back in, and showed the teacher the entry "cook." That settled the matter (I guess).

I can't cite too many other examples because I'm old and, fortunately for me in this case, my memory is starting to fail. But it's happened a lot. Many of the students I've had in Asia have exhibited a belief that they know English better than I do. I've come to accept that now.

Who knows, maybe some of them do know English better than I do. I'm beginning to wonder whether it matters. As an international language, English may be on its way to a destination I can't even imagine. Anyway, maybe Hamlet was right in saying, "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

#6 Parent Will - 2004-05-22
Re: MESSAGE TO MY

Greetings Jenny,

You have a good point. At times your message seems a little to tough on MY. I'm a Chinese professor with doctorate degree at a large university. I have no problem with the young Australian English teachers making more RMB than me at my university. I believe the solution is not to get rid of the teachers, but to raise our level of life as a country. What I mean is our money is too low compare to the west. Maybe 10 to 20 years from today our money will be higher. On the mean time lets treat well the English teachers that make the long trek and sacrifice to come to our beautiful mainland.
All the best to you in your trip to Australia.

#7 Parent assie in china - 2004-05-22
Re: message to MY

hey taka, are you happy with the grammar explanation of english teacher my.

#8 Parent 2U - 2004-05-22

TO MY: your English is very good coz u cnadada and australia teacher my English ###### I have 2 taiwanese English teacher. U r soooo lucky.

#9 Parent aussie in china - 2004-05-22

hey my, taka was only asking for the difference of i going to and i will.

#10 Parent Jenny - 2004-05-22
MESSAGE TO MY

Hi, Hello TEACHER TO BE

If your foreign teachers don't know how to explain it it doesn't mean that all foreign teachers aren't good. It's simply that your school goes to the streets and picked up those Tom Dick and Harry to rip you people off. (you have been ########)

I am a student in China, a while back I've posted a threat regarding my local English teacher and the problems that I had. If Asian schools, like you say are to get rid of foreign teachers, what is GOING TO happen to the local teachers and you especially.

The answer is simple, YOU WILL be an incompetent ###### teaching English just like my local English teacher and many many more out there in Asia.

I've had me 2 great foreign teachers during my 3 years in senior middle school. But then again why is it that my English Stinks 6 months after I entered college. Its because of ####### or ######## like you. It unbelieveable that new grads in China could teach in the same schools they graduated from. I heard that my former Chinese English teacher; a ######## ####, graduated in July 2001 and 2 months later, after the summer vacation he started teaching in the same University.
= Bad luck/tough Luck (referring to me for having such a teacher)

It's all ####, what do local English teachers know about the language structures and how it works without the help of foreign teachers.
Thank god I'm out of that ######. I have been granted a second life in education in Australia. I WILL and I am GOING TO make sure that I come back a better person , wise and knowledgeable.

Good luck to you, kick all the foreign teachers out and Asia will have thousands if not millions of incompetent #### and ##### like you teaching "####" English in Asia.

[YOU WILL never learn and isn't GOING TO, anyway]

#11 Parent Taka - 2004-05-22

Thank you Wilma!

#12 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-05-22

One of the reasons that the schools pay the foreign teacher more is that he/she had to leave their own country and come to a new country to live and teach. Also, the standard of living in most of these countries is WAY BELOW that of most of the countries where there are native English speakers. It is a sacrifice in living standards and pay to come to most foreign countries- the schools recognize this and try to accomodate foreign teachers. Plus, foreign teachers are automatically better equipped to teach culture and current English trends than our foreigners. I wouldn't dream of thinking I could better teach ( for example) Chinese culture than a Chinese person can. Just in the same way, my wife (who is Chinese) would not dream that she can teach American culture better than I can.

#13 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-05-22

"Sometimes (actually pretty often) non-native speakers have better language skills"? I hope the use of "pretty often" is not an attempt to show that. Plus, there are more skills than grammar and spelling included in language skills. What about speaking? What about reading?

Besides, these generalizations are not helping anyone. The idea is to help people become better teachers- wherever they came from!

#14 Parent Robin Day - 2004-05-22

Wilma's answer was most complete. [Thanks Wilma for the bird and dog English notes too yesterday. I'm off to Brandon soon.]

When I teach the future tense I spend a lot of time with:

.. am going to.. (see the two verbs?)
.. will go .. (two verbs again)

and I also show the less common forms of Future Intent. For example..

..am thinking of...
..am planning to..
..am intending to...

or
.. will think..
.. will plan to..
.. will intend to..

#15 Parent Sanja - 2004-05-21

I totally agree with MY. Native English speakers don't always know the best. Sometimes (actually pretty often) non-native speakers have better language skills.

#16 Parent rboert - 2004-05-21

in response to my own response! :)
i made a typo when i responded to MY's helpful suggestion about foreign teachers going back to their own countries.

i suggested that My, maybe needs "a" english lesson instead of the correct term "an" english lesson.

i simply don't want to give any fuel to any fire.
hope that clears up that mistake.

best

#17 Parent Sandy - 2004-05-21

LOL :)

#18 Parent rboert - 2004-05-21

yes yes MY, you have a valid point about foreign teachers getting paid a higher salary than the local teachers.
i do agree with you...BUT...i copied what you wrote in your response, and i think some native english people might agree that you too could use a lesson in english.

as follows:
Shame on my country schools to pay 2 to 3 times more to native English teachers than local teachers. I really hope this can change soon and all this so call teachers can go back to their countries. I wish you good luck with your quiz.

funny your written english seems to have an accent.

no harm intended.
best to you.

#19 Parent Randy - 2004-05-21
message to MY

hello MY, English is my second language too. native teachers are good for our cultures, many of them are good, experienced and respectful. I don't know your age or country, but remember when only the rich in Asia can afford to send their children to to learn English in North America/UK . Those days are over. Let's welcome the native teachers and learn English from them.

Success with your teaching career.

#20 Parent Wilma - 2004-05-21

'I am going to' implies a stronger intention and suggests that the action will be completed right away. In French, this 'I am going to' tense is called the 'near future'. 'I will' simply means that the action will eventually take place, sometime. You would most likely say, 'I'm going to buy a car today,' but 'I will buy a car next year.'
But, granted, Taka, there are many instances where the two are interchangeable. By stressing the word 'will', and by using an immediate-sounding adverb, such as 'right now', you can imply immediacy.

#21 Parent JackB - 2004-05-21

Taka,

I think your question is: What is the difference in meaning
between:

I am going to buy a new car

and
I will buy a new car.

The answer is that there is no difference. In English there is often
more than one way to say the same thing, and this is one of them.

Jack

#22 Parent My - 2004-05-21

Taka, I am a teacher learning English. I asked to 2 of my English teachers from Canada and my head master from Australia this question and they don't know how to explain it neither. Shame on my country schools to pay 2 to 3 times more to native English teachers than local teachers. I really hope this can change soon and all this so call teachers can go back to their countries. I wish you good luck with your quiz.

Taka - 2004-05-21
Help with my gramma.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee help. I have quiz next week.

I goint to buy a car and I will buy a car.

Thank you.

Return to Index › Help with my gramma.

Go to another board -