TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › DVD's in China blessing or curse?
#1 Parent Xiaoan - 2004-06-11
Re: DVD's in China blessing or curse?

Yes, take them back if they don't work. Get a guy/girl who are reliable and buy from them all the time. Take back the ones that don't work. For me it's probably 10% of all I buy so I am happy with that. Also they can tell you if it's a good quality movie and not a bad copy from a cinema.

#2 Parent Ian - 2004-06-09

PAL doesn't work (by default anyway) on US players. The UK and most of Europe uses PAL. Not sure about Oz or NZ.

#3 Parent Jay - 2004-06-07

You should also be made aware that the Chinese DVD's are recorded in a different format, PAL, which is not compatible with the western DVD players. Some will work fine, but most will not. I haven't had one that didn't have some kind of glitch in it. The best way around this problem is to buy a DVD player in China (they are relatively cheap). Most stores will replace the DVD's if you take them back to them if they don't work properly. I've had no problem with this in Beijing.

#4 Parent DoS - 2004-06-05

If you have a computer you can buy a DVD rom drive. A good reliable brand will only cost about 3/400RMB and they tend to be able to play just about any DVD. Much more reliable than 'real' players, for some strange reason!

#5 Parent Thomas Stearns - 2004-06-02

Thank you George,

I am going to look into Panasonics I think... I was alos told to take some dodgy DVD copies with me to the store and test fly them...

Thomas

#6 Parent George Williams - 2004-06-01

Thomas, are you still looking for a good DVD player? If yes, so i suggest you to buy Skyworth or Amoi (chinese brands): 600 - 700 RMB or Panasonic: 700 - 1000... Don't buy any of korean players, they are too sensitive to chinese DVDs. I'm using Amoi and after three years of good searching on chinese market, it works almost perfect!

Good luck!

#7 Parent Thomas Stearns - 2004-05-31

Hey,
Thanks, I already got that figured... We have a couple of places here that sell pretty good copies. They come in small plastic boxes ....

Thomas

#8 Parent Paez - 2004-05-28

Hi Thomas
Dont know about dvds, but cds are ok from the street. Make sure you buy your discs plastic sealed.

Paez

Thomas Stearns - 2004-05-28
DVD's in China blessing or curse?

You know how it is... Go get a stack of the latest new (black market) DVD movies for a few kuai... Then go home and they freeze up or won't play...

So it's time for me to find a good quality DVD player that can "jump over" the little flaws that pirate discs often have...

But what should I look for? does alot of rmb mean good quality electronics? Or is there some feature that helps smooth the rough spots??

Any advice appreciated..

Thomas

Return to Index › DVD's in China blessing or curse?

Go to another board -