TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Tim - 2004-06-10

I certainly didn't mean to imply that Koreans were easy to fool. But since you brought the subject up, the only person trying to fool anyone is you. Because you know that wasn't what I was trying to convey, but you falsely made an accusation as though I had because you are a racist. You hate America and you hate Americans. But I will tell you, sir, that I loved and still do love Korea. Many of my best and brightest memories lie in Korea, yet today. Let me list the things about Korea that I love.

I love how much Koreans sacrifice for their children.

I love the way in which Koreans treat old people.

I love that when a Korean offers a gift he has no alterior motive, he means it. He wants you to have it. He insists that you have it.

I love Korean's desire for self betterment and their love for learning.

I love the ancient history of Korea: The three kindom period of Silla, Paekche and Koguro., the Samguksagi; General Yi Sun Shin and the story of his might turtle boats; so many wonderful pices of history.

I love and deeply respect the Korean work ethic.

I love Korean pottery - I think its among the best in the world.

Mr. "Inchon" I could continue to write for hours all the things I love and admire about Korea and Koreans. I would also like to say how thankful I am to Korea and the Korean people and to the Korean Government.

On my very first morning after I arrived in Korea, I was staying a few days at the house of a Korean friend whom I had studied with at Indiana University. When his father learned that I was coming to Korea, he insisted that I stay at his home until I got settled. His son had got into some legal trouble in Bloomington involving getting drunk and doing some damage to several parked cars along 3rd street and he was arrested. I went to court with my friend and was admittted as a "friend of the court" to translate for the son. But I did more than translate. Midway through the proceedings, I stunned the prosecutor when I asked the Judge for permission to speak. I then informed the Judge that as a first time offender for a minor misdemenor offense, the case should have been sent to the pre-trial deversion program (PDP). Prior to even appearing in court, I made my friend go to the police department and get a list of the names and addresses of all the cars he had damaged. I then went with my friend to the homes of the 8 people where my friend say he was sorry and he paid the damages to each person on the spot. I then went with my friend to the office of the dean. The dean agreed to place him on probation and not expel him due to having made full restitution on his own without being ordered to due so. The judge hearing this, dismissed the case pending admission into the pre-trial diversion program. So my friend's father was very kind to me and told me simply that I had helped his son and that he wanted to do something for me. Mr. "Inchon" if you asked that man if he thought that I made "fools" of Korean people, I would guess that he would tell you, "no."

That man, was the first person who was brought into the Seoul Prosecutor's office during the Roh Tae Woo graft scandal in 96-97. He is the owner of the Korea's largest restaurant (Ko Yang San Chun) as well as the chairman of the bank. He was cleared because when asked by Roh's people if the slush fund money could be hid in his bank, he refused.

Getting back to my first full day in Korea, that morning, I woke very early and went with my friend and his father to a nearby Mok Yok Tang (bath house). After we finished bathing, he asked me if I would like to come to his restaurant for breakfast, and I agreed. As we made our way up the windy, steep road near Buk Han San mountain, I noticed a large group of well-dressed men all over the place. They were Korea Secret Service agents. After getting out of the car, and being searched, we were led by the agents into one of the elaborate, ornate private dining rooms where already seated was none other than Kim Young Sam, the President of Korea. I deeply bowed and remained silent through most of the conversation and breakfast. As the President was leaving, my friend's father introduced me, and I spoke what little Korean that I knew, remembering to add "Dae Tong Yong" when I addressed him. President Kim deeply smiled and said, Welcome to Korea." Mr. "Inchon," if you were to ask Kim Yong Sam if he thought that I had made fools of the Korean people I guess that he would say, "no." Oh by the way, Mr "Inchon," have you ever met the President of Korea? I didn't think so.

I am also the receipient of a "sang chang," or an official government citation given to me by Choo Don Shik, the then-Minister of Culture and Sports. It was presented to me for my "...actions and efforts to improve Korean - American relations..." It is an extremely high honor. By the way, Mr. "Inchon," do you have a sang chang? I didn't think so.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Inchon -- Tim -- 2004-06-10
Re: Inchon -- Ron Marshall -- 2004-06-11
Re: Inchon -- CJ -- 2004-06-12
Re: Inchon -- Kei -- 2004-06-13
Re: Inchon -- boots43 -- 2004-06-12
Re: Inchon -- Dave -- 2004-06-11
Re: Inchon -- Kim -- 2004-06-12
Re: Inchon -- A better man today! -- 2004-06-11